View Poll Results: Is Glenn Dorsey The Best Player Available? This is a public poll..

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 37.50%
  • No

25 62.50%
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Settling The Dorsey Debate

There's been a lot of to and fro over the possible selection of Glenn Dorsey at number two overall. Some argue that as he is the best player avialable, he would make the greatest impact. Others suggest it doesn't make sense to pay 2 top 15 picks to split snaps at the one position, limitng both of their production.

I want to know...Is Glenn Dorsey the Best Player Available?

This would be perhaps the only way to completely validate the Glenn Dorsey argument. By suggesting that he is, by Clanram consensus, the BPA, and thus should warrant consideration regardless of the position he purports to play.

I ask this because it occurs to me that most posters here appear to have a "4 man" draft board, consisting of Long, Long, Gholston and Dorsey, and claim to be happy with any as the Rams choice. This is leading me to consider that there is not one BPA; rather, there are 5 (with the inclusion of Darren McFadden). And as such, the Dorsey argument isn't as convincing, as he is not, according to the "4 man' consensus, the BPA.

So let's get specific. Yes or No. Is Dorsey the Best Player Available?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Settling The Dorsey Debate

Lets just say Chris Long is gone. RB is not a need even if he is the best player available. So let stick to the 4 man draft board now 3 if Chris Long is gone.

Vernon Gholston- It is clear he is the number 1 pure pass rusher. He is big strong fast and a work out warrior. His ability against the run has been in question. Also some say he gives up plays. Is that BPA status compared to other guys. I don't think so

Jake Long- Strong and a great run blocker. Doesn't have the best feet and ultimately his best position may be RT. May be able to play guard to start off and then move to LT to replace Pace. Devaney said he has B+ athleticism in comparison to Joe Thomas who has A+ athleticism, but would have been selected a pick later. Great leader one of the only 2 time captains at Michigan. I think we can say he isn't better than Thomas, so does he deserve to go a pick earlier and attain that BPA status

Glenn Dorsey- One knock on him was his injury concerns. He checked out at his pro day and the reports about the stress fracture appear at this point to be fake. He still needs to be checked out by doctors and brought in. He is also a great leader. Has an incredible motor and at times got tripled teamed and fought through them. Some say he can get 8-10 sacks(questionable). He is definately a big time impact guy, but so are the other guys made. Does he make a bigger impact? With the low sucess rate of DT's in the top 10 and the the good dt's we already have is he our BPA?

In all I think Dorsey is BPA he is the type of game changer like Tommie Harris that puts up good numbers and affects the whole defense

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Lets just say Chris Long is gone.
    But already, therefore, you're working under the presumption that Long is the best fit for the Rams. Does that make him the best player?

I was trying to establish a distinction there. I didn't mean BPA for the Rams, I mean THE Best Player Available. Regardless of who he eventually plays for, that's the guy you look at and go; yep: he it the very best this class has to offer.

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

I voted "no", but I'm also somebody that is fearful of the injuries.

If I was 100% sure he's fine and there will be no short-term or long-term problems, my honest answer might be "yes" amongst the defensive players.

Darren McFadden is my #1 player in a BPA argument.

harrydog is offline Registered User

I think all of the 4 defensive players listed are very close but, yes, I think Dorsey is probably the BPA out of that bunch because I think a DT of his caliber is more rare than a DE of Long or Gholston's caliber. But the injury questions make me hesitant plus the fact that DE is a greater need means that BPA probably won't matter as much when we make our selection. Like I said, I think they're all pretty close.

harrydog is offline Registered User

By the way, you know this won't settle the debate.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

By no means will this settle the debate, but yes Dorsey is the best defensive player available. I'm under the impression that McFadden is the overall best player available but if the Rams took him........

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

These days just being the BPA isn't enough. Character issues have become a real determinent. Just ask the Falcons now if Michael Vick was the BPA in 2001.

I'm hearing McFadden has some of these "issues" going on so whether he is the BP in the entire draft may be a moot point because teams will avoid a potential problem later on. I am sure B. Devaney who was with the Falcons is very sensitive to this, so I'm certain we'll be drafting carefully in each round.

Go Rams!:r

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    By no means will this settle the debate
    Agreed. Really, is there a way to settle this debate that doesn't involve Dorsey (and the other options) taking the field in the NFL for a number of seasons and seeing who does what?

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I don't think that Dorsey is the best available player in the draft or for the Rams.

I believe the best player in the draft is McFadden.

The best player for the Rams is Chris Long

Javaman is offline Registered User

Dorsey should be the 1st round pick (2nd overall)by the Rams. He would make a bigger impact for the Rams than either of the Longs. I just dont think Chuck Long"s ACC competition matches up with Dorcey's SEC. I realize that the Rams need outside pressure but if you can get a big push up through the middle it will make Littles and Halls job alittle easier. Although Carriker has 1 year NFL experience, Dorsey is better than Carriker at the position. He would make everyone on the line better. I think you could put him in the middle with Carriker and the 2 of them would dominate the inside with Ryan and Glover rotating in. Ryan, although good against the run, doesn't get the push that Dorsey would and Glover is getting long in the tooth. Wroten could possibly fall somewhere into the mix too. 2nd round the Rams will go for a speed receiver whom would make an immediate impact. How about Justin King(Penn State) in the 3rd round?

kmixr is offline Registered User

If miami does not take Chris long I would think that would be our pick. He is the BPA at a position of need. We took a def. tackle last year with our #1 pick. Also that stress fracture of Dorsey's makes me nervous. I read an article recently where 4-5 team doctors looked at x-rays and stated that for it to completely heal it would have to break again . I know that sounds odd but that is what they said. Also playing on artificial turf might not be the greatest thing for it. I like jake Long a lot also but tackle is not our greatest need at this moment. We have Barron who has a right to improve at right tackle and Pace coming back from injury. No reason in my mind to think Orlando will not be 100% even as he is getting up there in years. We could look for a tackle a little later in the draft if need be. Gholsten looks like a 3-4 rush linebacker and we don't play that scheme. Long is a hand in the dirt end and has an array of polished pass rush moves that gholsten can only dream about at this point. All three are high character guy's so no worries about any of them there. Having said all that , barring a trade down to get more picks (which looks highly unlikely) any of these four guy's should be a damn good player for a long time. I just think a new and improved version of howie long would be a great way to go with that 2nd pick.