Thread: The shake up

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

The shake up

The Miami Dolphins might cause the biggest shake up in this years draft. Miami isn't thrilled with the idea of Daunte Culpepper playing behind center and they no longer have Joey Harrington. So they're looking for a new Quarterback. Trent Green is the first on their list from Kansas City, David Carr is second. Say they do get a quarterback. They don't need to draft Quin/Russel whoever is there, if one of them falls.

So what about Daunte? Who else in the league needs a quarterback? The Vikings? He's not going there. Cleveland? Not likley, Culpepper has too much pride to go to the hapless Browns. How about Oakland? Culpepper to Moss again. Oakland is looking at the Culpepper look alike in Jamarcus Russel, why not get the real thing? Oakland now has their Quarterback, they don't need to take Calvin Johnson since Porter and Moss will stick around if Daunte comes to town. Porter already said he'd stay, and moss would love to catch balls from the guy who made him. They need Joe Thomas. Not with the first pick, trade it to Minnesota, Detriot or Cleveland, the only three teams within reach that need a quarterback.

If they trade it to Detriot they can pick up Joe Thomas. They still might be able to get Thomas with the third pick. If Detriot takes him they pick up Adrian Peterson. If they trade it to the Vikings both of those players will be gone, so Oakland's on their own.

What happens if the Vikings, Lions or Browns sign David Carr? I don't know, my point was Miami can screw a lot of draft boards up if they release Daunte Culpepper. Cheerio

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Re: The shake up

Hmmmmmmmmm

timsum1283 is offline Registered User

You're right on many levels. Culpepper cannot expect to be staying in Miami much longer and Oakland might just be the ideal place for him now and if the Dolphins did release him, I don't think 36 year old Trent Green would be the solution but Carr might be.

On the other hand, I think Detroit is the key to the draft because they could pick up a QB, Thomas, CJ or a defensive player and it's still a possibility they might trade down.

Likewise, the Redskins might make a move on draft day that could really hurt or help the Rams b/c they are also targeting D-Linemen

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Such is the hardship of picking 13th....:P

We're going to get a really good player anyways. Have a little faith in the convictions of our FO. They might be working a trade as we speak to put us in pole position for the DL of our choosing.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Such is the hardship of picking 13th....:P

We're going to get a really good player anyways. Have a little faith in the convictions of our FO. They might be working a trade as we speak to put us in pole position for the DL of our choosing.
    Or they may fake us all out and select someone that will surprise us ... You just never know. Depends on how much they REALLY think of the top rated D-linemen. I thought for sure last year that we would take Ngata or possibly even Bunkley -- they were both right there ripe for the plucking -- but surprise !!!
    :x

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Love this time of year. I really do believe no matter what @ 13 we will get a player that will help the Rams.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Or they may fake us all out and select someone that will surprise us ... You just never know. Depends on how much they REALLY think of the top rated D-linemen. I thought for sure last year that we would take Ngata or possibly even Bunkley -- they were both right there ripe for the plucking -- but surprise !!!
    :x
    Are you saying you didn't like the pick up of Hill? I think that was a solid pick. Listen everyone knows you get your value picks in the 2nd and 3rd. In the first you take the best guy available 1-15. Especially with a draft as deep as this one. Unless the best person available is a tight end which we don't need.

Dominator is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by timsum1283 View Post
    You're right on many levels. Culpepper cannot expect to be staying in Miami much longer and Oakland might just be the ideal place for him now and if the Dolphins did release him, I don't think 36 year old Trent Green would be the solution but Carr might be.
    Culpepper could barely play last year. He was plenty bad. The Dolphins were supposed to contend last year. I can't see anybody passing on a top qb prospect because he's come to town. Carr? The guy is gun shy. Nobody is going to pick either of those up and hand over the keys. Also, Porter and Moss are getting older and both have questionable attitudes. I can't see the Raiders passing on a qb and CJ. Maybe for Peterson, but I don't see it.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    Are you saying you didn't like the pick up of Hill? I think that was a solid pick. Listen everyone knows you get your value picks in the 2nd and 3rd. In the first you take the best guy available 1-15. Especially with a draft as deep as this one. Unless the best person available is a tight end which we don't need.
    I was disappointed the Rams didn't select Ngata ... I have posted this several times. However I have tempered that statement by saying " This is not a swipe at Hill -- merely my feelings at the time." What I did like a little bit later in the 2006 draft was the selection of Claude Wroten with the extra pick we acquired by trading out of our initial spot. I am just a fan and sure I have opinions, but that's all they are. I am probably the last person on earth the Rams should listen to when it comes to the draft. As a fan, I was (still am) extremely frustrated with our porous run defense and perceived an opportunity for the Rams to stiffen up with the acquistion of Ngata. Didn't happen ... Hill appears to be on track to becoming a solid starter and likely a pro-bowler. If Wroten pans out that will be gravy ... really rich gravy. This year I don't really know who I like best at this point in round one, and have no idea who will be available when we do pick ... I just hope we get someone who can help our run defense. Maybe that guy will be in the 2nd or 3rd round or even later. Heck we might even take an offensive player in the 1st round.

Yes I like Hill ... End of rant ...