Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Should the Rams copy the Seahawks model at CB?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Should the Rams copy the Seahawks model at CB?

The most unique aspect of the Seahawks defense is the size of its CBs.

Richard Sherman (6'3, 195) and Byron Maxwell (6'1, 207) are able to use their size to play press coverage and punish smaller receivers (suspended CB, Brandon Browner, is bigger than both of the current starters at 6'4, 221).

This tactic would not work for every team. Most big CBs can be beaten by quick receivers if they have the time to run their patterns. However, on a team that is well above average when it comes to rushing the passer, big CBs can be effective at slowing down receivers enough to let the front 7 get to the QB.

I think this approach could work for the Rams. It is noteworthy that our best CB this year was, in fact, a big CB: Trumaine Johnson (6'2, 208).

Perhaps, the Rams should look for another "big CB" to play on the outside, leaving the smaller, quicker Janoris Jenkins to play the slot (much as Cortland Finnegan did in 2012).

There are two "big CBs" in the draft that intrigue me.

The first is Stanley Jean-Baptiste of Nebraska (I mentioned him previously in the "sleeper" thread). He fits the Seahawks mold at 6'2, 220, and plays a very physical style that lends itself to press coverage.

The second prospect is Keith McGill of Utah (6'2, 205).

Both of these players will be playing at the Senior bowl, and I will be interested to see how they are viewed by the scouts there.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Re: Should the Rams copy the Seahawks model at CB?

I love that idea, but we would need a top flight FS to protect our CB's over the top. With our DL providing constant pressure, I think having big, physical CB's would be the way to go. I also think Janoris would excel in the slot.
    Torry Holt and ManofGod like this.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'd be for it... provided that we had a good center field Free Safety. Like a really good one. The way that press coverage kills you is if the receiver gets off the line. If it's a 9 route and he gets going, the corner will be playing catch up all the way to the house. We need a good safety to play deep before we can commit to the press.
    Torry Holt and ManofGod like this.
    I believe!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Good FS or big CBs?

TekeRam, RockinRam and Haste like this.

Randart is offline Registered User

Gilbert is no midget either, so there are choices that align with your concepts in this draft and a couple larger safeties as well. Hope and I expect that a couple of those guys are on the Rams radar! Other teams in the past have had one or two larger CB's who were effective it really is not such a new concept. Mel Blount used to mug guys and undress them at the line! Ah the good old days... LOL

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I wouldn't be opposed to that idea, provided we can find guys that can actually cover.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

As long as they don't have Richard Sherman's personality, I love the idea of going after taller CBs.

Trumaine played very well this year. I'd say he's a fairly underrated CB in the league right now.
    SWFCRAM likes this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

I think we do need another CB, but I don't like the idea of pidgeon-holing Janoris to a slot corner. As fans we have short term memory...let's not forget, in his rookie year he had 4 defensive touchdowns which led the NFL. Given, he had a down year in 2013, but I anticipate a bounce back campaign. He is only in his "Junior" NFL season, and I am anticipating a massive year from Janoris. I personally think we are set at the "outside" corners with Tru & Janoris.

Having said all that, you can never have enough good corners and if one of these big guys fell into our laps it'd be intriguing as a third corner, but not ahead of Janoris.
    Last edited by THOLTFAN81; -01-18-2014 at 03:39 AM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    I think we do need another CB, but I don't like the idea of pidgeon-holing Janoris to a slot corner. As fans we have short term memory...let's not forget, in his rookie year he had 4 defensive touchdowns which led the NFL. Given, he had a down year in 2013, but I anticipate a bounce back campaign. He is only in his "Junior" NFL season, and I am anticipating a massive year from Janoris. I personally think we are set at the "outside" corners with Tru & Janoris.

Having said all that, you can never have enough good corners and if one of these big guys fell into our laps it'd be intriguing as a third corner, but not ahead of Janoris.
    I agree. I think JJ is going to be great on the outside. Not sure he had an off year, hard to tell with the soft coverage we ran. Hard to press with basically two rookie safeties behind you.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-18-2014 at 04:56 PM.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Either way I think Safety is a much bigger need than adding another CB
    Warner Pride and Rammed like this.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Fisher would love to, if the right personnel became available, and if they let the Rams hold and make illegal contact play after play like they do Seattle.
    Vinnie25 likes this.
    Barry Waller

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    Fisher would love to, if the right personnel became available, and if they let the Rams hold and make illegal contact play after play like they do Seattle.
    Yeah, Sherman and the rest of Seattle's CB's get away with murder at the line of scrimmage.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

I have 0 faith in Janoris left. To me he had such a horrible year that I can't forget about it just like that. All I remember from his this year was PI's on PI's and horrendous tackling. It seemed like every single play he was grabbing his WR's jersey or getting a PI, or allowing a completion. I really hope it was just simply a down year, but he looked really bad this year. It's crazy how quickly a position of strength can go to potentially your worst in just 1 short year as Jenkins and Finnegan both had horrendous years.
    Haste likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

demiurge is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I have 0 faith in Janoris left. To me he had such a horrible year that I can't forget about it just like that. All I remember from his this year was PI's on PI's and horrendous tackling. It seemed like every single play he was grabbing his WR's jersey or getting a PI, or allowing a completion. I really hope it was just simply a down year, but he looked really bad this year. It's crazy how quickly a position of strength can go to potentially your worst in just 1 short year as Jenkins and Finnegan both had horrendous years.

Jenkins wasn't nearly as bad as Finnegan this year.

And certainly it seemed to do with the scheme - WAAY too much soft zone when I was watching. That took away a combination of strength - pass rush with man to man coverage - and made it an area of weakness. Because even with the great pass rush there was almost always openings underneath at the beginning of the season.

Fisher took a more active role in the defense, and suddenly the scheme tightened up.

Probably the biggest decision the Rams have this year is what to do with Finnegan and his huge contract. He should have paid the Rams last year - but he also had multiple hamstring injuries, a fractured orbital, and was asked to play in a really bad scheme for a good portion of the year that didn't fit his abilities.

As far as the OP, it certainly could work - but I'm of the opinion you take the best players that you can get in the draft and make your scheme about using their strengths. It depends on how the draft falls. It would require some retooling for the Rams, and I think Jenkins, Johnson and Gibson are a pretty good basis going forward.
    Warner Pride likes this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I have 0 faith in Janoris left.

That's a bit of an overreaction don't you think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast