Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Should the Rams Draft Eddie Lacy if Available?

RamBill is offline Registered User

Should the Rams Draft Eddie Lacy if Available?

101ESPNís Tony Softli and Anthony Stalter discuss whether the Rams should draft Eddie Lacy if he's available.

Watch Softli Discuss Lacy

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Should the Rams Draft Eddie Lacy if Available?

I think Lacy would be a pretty good fit in the Rams' backfield and would form a nice pair with Richardson, but I don't think you consider it until the second round or a trade down scenario in the first. Talking about him with the 16th overall pick... yeah, I don't see that at all at this point.
    TekeRam and ManofGod like this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Even though I still have faith that Isaiah Pead will become the back we all hope he would be coming out of Cincinnati, it wouldn't hurt to have a powerful downhill runner to complement the speedy Pead. Eddie Lacy would definitely be that kind of player. Even though I wouldn't want the Rams to use one of their 1st rounders on him, if he's still available with our 2nd round pick I say we snatch him up.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Even if you start with the premise that the Rams should look at RBs early, I think you have to question whether Lacy is a special talent, or just the beneficiary of a great OL. After all, its not as if recent Alabama RBs have set the NFL on fire.

sakl18 is offline Registered User

I think it comes down to the Steven Jackson factor. If he stays, I would be very disappointed if the Rams took a running back in the first or second round. The backfield would already consist of the lead horse (Jackson), the change of pace back (Richardson) and the high-potential, second round pick (Pead). I just don't see where Lacy would fit into that lineup.

In the event SJax leaves this offseason, drafting a running back would become a much more viable option. However, with both Richardson and Pead already in the backfield, I wouldn't be happy if the Rams went RB in the first or second round, as I believe there would still be much greater needs (O-line, receiving weapons, safety) than running back. My preference would be to target a guy like Christine Michael somewhere in rounds 4-6 and use the first few picks on the other needs (assuming there are options there from a bpa approach).

So no, I guess I don't want the Rams to draft Lacey.
    Rambos likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sakl18 View Post
    I think it comes down to the Steven Jackson factor. If he stays, I would be very disappointed if the Rams took a running back in the first or second round. The backfield would already consist of the lead horse (Jackson), the change of pace back (Richardson) and the high-potential, second round pick (Pead). I just don't see where Lacy would fit into that lineup.

In the event SJax leaves this offseason, drafting a running back would become a much more viable option. However, with both Richardson and Pead already in the backfield, I wouldn't be happy if the Rams went RB in the first or second round, as I believe there would still be much greater needs (O-line, receiving weapons, safety) than running back. My preference would be to target a guy like Christine Michael somewhere in rounds 4-6 and use the first few picks on the other needs (assuming there are options there from a bpa approach).

So no, I guess I don't want the Rams to draft Lacey.
    I agree, I really like Lacy but how much of his success can be attributed to the amazing Alabama offensive line. If Jackson re-signs, I think the Rams are happy with just Richardson and Pead behind him. And who knows, with an improve OL (hopefully built through the draft or FA) all three of these backs might put up even better numbers than last year.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I like Lacy, and I think it's not just the o-line making him look good. He is a true power runner who also has some speed. He would be a great compliment to Richarson.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

No. Its as simple as I can put it. I think Lacy is ok, but I wouldn't touch him before round 3-4.

THE DREAM TEAM

thillis is offline Registered User

Wouldn't take him unless Jackson walks and he is there in the 2nd. I wonder why Softli thinks Lacy is a better prospect than TRich was.

Quote Originally Posted by thillis View Post
    Wouldn't take him unless Jackson walks and he is there in the 2nd. I wonder why Softli thinks Lacy is a better prospect than TRich was.
    Because Softli is an idiot.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

I would pass, until I see what Pead and Ganaway can do not sure we need to take another back.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

First off, if Jackson is still on the roster, then no.

Second, not before the 2nd round.

Third, in college, running backs can make the offensive line; in the NFL, the offensive line more often than not makes the running back. I think a 2nd round OL gives us more vaue than a 2nd round RB.

Fourth, that said, people at Alabama have thought that Lacy is better than TRich. Given what Richardson did in his rookie year, I'd be happy to bring him in, if Jackson is gone and we feel confident in our offensive line and receiving options.

To sum it all up: Not unless he's there in the 2nd and we're less happy with our running back position than we are at TE, WR, and OL.
    I believe!

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

No reason at all to take RBs in the first round anymore. Many case and points in the league. But case and point on the Rams..Darryl Richardson

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    No reason at all to take RBs in the first round anymore. Many case and points in the league. But case and point on the Rams..Darryl Richardson
    Yeah but there is a difference between a COP back like Richardson, and a featured work-horse back in Richardson.

I'd much rather take a Le'Veon Bell in the 3rd/4th than Lacy in the 1st/2nd.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Yeah but there is a difference between a COP back like Richardson, and a featured work-horse back in Richardson.

I'd much rather take a Le'Veon Bell in the 3rd/4th than Lacy in the 1st/2nd.
    I always get Michigan State's Bell and Wisconsin's Ball mixed up... I know both are big, physical backs, but which one is the taller of the two and which has a thousand carries already?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast