Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Should Rams draft Robinson & play him at RG?

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Should Rams draft Robinson & play him at RG?

We all know by now my feelings on who the Rams should draft at #2 if he's available: Clowney. But if he's unavailable and a trade down isn't possible, my second choice would be Greg Robinson. My only hesitation is what to do with Joe Barksdale, who I thought played pretty well last year. Do we kick him inside and play him at one of the Guard spots, or do we keep him on the bench in case one of our Tackles gets hurt? Both sound like decent options if you ask me, especially if Saffold is re-signed to man the RG spot. However, what if the Rams kept Barksdale at RT and instead moved Robinson to the LG position. He's certainly big and strong enough, and him and Saffold would give the Rams probably the two most athletic Guards in the NFL. A lineup of Long - Robinson - Wells - Saffold - Barksdale would be one hell of a line, and once Barksdale becomes a FA in 2015 Robinson could move to the RT spot until Jake Long retires. The best thing about this situation is that it would free up a 2nd or 3rd round pick that we would have used on a OG for another position of need, like WR or CB. So what do you guys think, is this possible?

Mikey is online now Registered User

Re: Should Rams draft Robinson & play him at RG?

IMO it depends on what else we do in the draft and free agency. I'd start him at RT and Barksdale at LT while we wait for Long to come back. I'm not anticipating Long being back to start the season. Give Robinson some time to acclimate to the pro game and develop his pass blocking skills and in 2015 he starts at LT.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Robinson is athletic, but hasn't played guard, and I doubt anyone would move him there. T hose long arms fit better at LT or RT and you can get guards later on draft day
    Barry Waller

SWFCRAM is offline Registered User

If we don’t receive an offer that the front office believe is good enough for the second pick then I currently would like them to take Robinson. One thing does concern me though - the Jason Smith similarity.

If I remember correctly the choice of OT that year came down to Smith and Eugene Monroe. Monroe was perceived as the more technical and pro ready prospect (just like Matthews this year) but Smith had more potential and the nasty streak in the run game. We all know how that worked out.

I’m sure Robinson won’t turn out to be as poor as Smith, but that’s what worries me about this potential pick. Hopefully Fisher/Snead see enough of his pass protection to be totally confident in him, and we pick him up a couple of slots later than 2 after a trade.

As for Barksdale if we take Robinson, our injury record suggests he’ll get more than his fair share of opportunities. But the team will be far better if he is the third best tackle on the roster.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SWFCRAM View Post
    If we don’t receive an offer that the front office believe is good enough for the second pick then I currently would like them to take Robinson. One thing does concern me though - the Jason Smith similarity.

If I remember correctly the choice of OT that year came down to Smith and Eugene Monroe. Monroe was perceived as the more technical and pro ready prospect (just like Matthews this year) but Smith had more potential and the nasty streak in the run game. We all know how that worked out.

I’m sure Robinson won’t turn out to be as poor as Smith, but that’s what worries me about this potential pick. Hopefully Fisher/Snead see enough of his pass protection to be totally confident in him, and we pick him up a couple of slots later than 2 after a trade.

As for Barksdale if we take Robinson, our injury record suggests he’ll get more than his fair share of opportunities. But the team will be far better if he is the third best tackle on the roster.
    Nothing about Jason Smith makes me worry about Greg Robinson. To me, that is ridiculous.

Tons of athletes have similar physical skills or traits, but it will be the mental make-up and heart of these players that will determine success or failure.

So in essence, no man will be responsible for Greg Robinson's success or failure but Greg Robinson himself, no matter who others try to compare him to.

Having said that, Greg Robinson's physical stature makes him a prototypical NFL OT, but from what I've seen of him, he looks like he could seamlessly switch to OG if need be.

SWFCRAM is offline Registered User

Obviously it will be Greg Robinson (and his coaches) that will determine if he will be a success or not. All I am saying is, is that there is a similarity in the scenario’s between that year and this. Matthews and Monroe are the more polished products, Smith and Robinson the higher ceiling and being more run oriented.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    Robinson is athletic, but hasn't played guard, and I doubt anyone would move him there. T hose long arms fit better at LT or RT and you can get guards later on draft day
    When Jonathan Ogden was drafted by the Ravens out of UCLA he had only played LT up to the point. The Ravens, however, already had a pretty good pair of Tackles so they moved him inside to LG for a year. Being a massive man and a dominant run blocker, I'm pretty sure Robinson could make the transition and be a great LG also. The Rams could leave him there for a year (the whole time coaching up his pass blocking skills) until he can eventually replace either Long or Barksdale at the Tackle spots.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SWFCRAM View Post
    Obviously it will be Greg Robinson (and his coaches) that will determine if he will be a success or not. All I am saying is, is that there is a similarity in the scenario’s between that year and this. Matthews and Monroe are the more polished products, Smith and Robinson the higher ceiling and being more run oriented.
    That is true, and that message wasn't necessarily aimed at you, but rather those who would allow that comparison to dictate or in some way negatively affect what they thought about Greg Robinson.

I think of it this way: the Rams could use the 2nd pick on Robinson and play him at LG with Long, Wells, Saffold, and Barksdale, or they could draft Robinson at #2 and a OG in the 2nd round and play them both with Long, Wells, and Saffold. I'd much rather do the former and use that 2nd rounder on a receiver or CB.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I think if the team drafts Robinson he will be at OT, as they will want him to get experience there ASAP. Whether it's the left or the right really depends on Jake Long's health. Barksdale will be a back up tackle if Long is healthy.

If Saffold comes back he will be at OG, but they could have him play LT if Long isn't healthy at the start of the year, leaving Robinson at RT for his rookie year.

However, I will find it difficult to believe the team won't upgrade the OG and C spots through FA and the draft. That's why I would be surprised if they just cram Robinsons at OG when we should have a starter at OG after FA and the draft anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I think if the team drafts Robinson he will be at OT, as they will want him to get experience there ASAP. Whether it's the left or the right really depends on Jake Long's health. Barksdale will be a back up tackle if Long is healthy.

If Saffold comes back he will be at OG, but they could have him play LT if Long isn't healthy at the start of the year, leaving Robinson at RT for his rookie year.

However, I will find it difficult to believe the team won't upgrade the OG and C spots through FA and the draft. That's why I would be surprised if they just cram Robinsons at OG when we should have a starter at OG after FA and the draft anyway.
    I understand what your saying, but I'd hate to see the Rams use two high draft picks (the #2 and a 2nd rounder) on the O-line when we have so many other holes to fill like WR, Safety, and CB. With Long- Robinson - Wells - Saffold - Barksdale, the Rams would have their best five guys out there at once. We could always draft some more OL guys, it would just be in the later rounds to add depth.

punahou is offline Registered User

Im surprised so many here are high on Robinson.
    Rarely do combine heroes translate to NFL heroes.

We went through this with Jason Smith. If we take a OL, Lewan or Matthews IMO.
    Robinson to too raw and SEC-synchronized IMO.

Orlando Pace didnt perform well on the BP if I remember (low 20s?) and look how he turned out.
    Last edited by punahou; -03-03-2014 at 04:22 PM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Im surprised so many here are high on Robinson.
    Rarely do combine heroes translate to NFL heroes.

We went through this with Jason Smith. If we take a OL, Lewan or Matthews IMO.
    Robinson to too raw and SEC-synchronized IMO.

Orlando Pace didnt perform well on the BP if I remember (low 20s?) and look how he turned out.
    Greg Robinson is not a combine hero. Yes he did good, but Robinson was touted as a top 10 pick before he even decided to come out...

THE DREAM TEAM

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Kind of ironic. I am, or at least thought, done with "projects" Have yet to see a project really pan out without it taking years or reaching the level the project was supposed to be. That said I think Robinson at left guard would be wonderful. Of course it will help if Saffold is retained and Barksdale doesn't regress.

I think his power at the guard position would be enormous. Plus being next to and learning the technical side of pass protection from Long would be valuable. He seems to have the athleticism to pull when needed and the strength to mow down DTs and DEs as well.

If he is a hungry man in terms of wanting to excel he will want that tackle spot and being at the LG position will want him to make even more of a statement that I should be LT. Competition breeding excellence and all that.

With the above mentioned pieces in place I don't see too many negatives.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

If the Rams draft Greg Robinson, it will be because they think he's their long-term franchise left tackle. But yes, they could ask him to shift inside in the short-term and play guard until they're ready for him to replace Jake Long at left tackle.

Robinson's power would make him a great fit at guard, and I believe that's actually the position where he was projected to as a recruit coming out of high school.

Interestingly enough, Adam Schefter has reported that some scouts are comparing Robinson to Larry Allen, who did play tackle for a couple of seasons for the Cowboys but, IIRC, was primarily a guard for the majority of his Hall of Fame career.
    timsum1283 and Vinnie25 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast