Vinnie25 is online now Registered User

Should the Rams keep their picks or trade down?

By now everyone knows that this year isn't really a top heavy draft, instead it's filled with good overall talent that extends far into the 3rd round. The Rams are sitting pretty at #16 and #22, and should have some good prospects to pick from. Chance Warmack, Kenny Vaccaro, Lane Johnson, Cordarrelle Patterson, Johnathan Cooper, Zach Ertz, and Keenan Allen are all players that have been projected to go to the Rams in various mock drafts, and I'd honestly be happy with any of them. However, what if most of those players are picked before we have our chance to draft? Should we reach for a pick of need or just select the BPA? Or should we try to trade down to secure extra picks, where there should still be good value in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (Le'Veon Bell, Robert Woods, Larry Warford, Da'Rick Rogers, Johnathan Cyprien, Kyle Long, Philip Thomas).

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Should the Rams keep their picks or trade down?

IF we are able to find a trading partner for either the 16th or 22nd pick, i would do it in a heart beat if it was worth it. Depends on the return.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The only trades that I'd be interested in would be ones involving the Rams trading one of their 2 first round picks for 2 second round picks this year.

There are two teams that have two second round picks: Miami and Cinncinnati

According to the "Trade Value Chart" here are the values of the picks in question:

Rams
    No. 16: 1,000 points
    No. 22: 780 points

Bengals
    No. 37 (530) and No. 53 (370) = 900 points

Dolphins
    No. 42 (480) and No. 54 (360) = 840 points

Given those totals, I'd probably prefer a trade in which the Rams send the 16th pick for two second round picks and also receive some consideration (probably a 4th or 5th round pick) to even things out. Trading the No. 22 straight up for two second round picks would also be fine, though the Bengals/Dolphins might try to get another pick to even out the consideration.

Vinnie25 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The only trades that I'd be interested in would be ones involving the Rams trading one of their 2 first round picks for 2 second round picks this year.

There are two teams that have two second round picks: Miami and Cinncinnati

According to the "Trade Value Chart" here are the values of the picks in question:

Rams
    No. 16: 1,000 points
    No. 22: 780 points

Bengals
    No. 37 (530) and No. 53 (370) = 900 points

Dolphins
    No. 42 (480) and No. 54 (360) = 840 points

Given those totals, I'd probably prefer a trade in which the Rams send the 16th pick for two second round picks and also receive some consideration (probably a 4th or 5th round pick) to even things out. Trading the No. 22 straight up for two second round picks would also be fine, though the Bengals/Dolphins might try to get another pick to even out the consideration.
    How bout trading further back into the 1st round? Say we trade our 16th pick to a team in the 24-32 range for their 1st rounder and a 2nd round pick (Atlanta, Denver, and Houston are all possibilities)... I'd actually prefer this scenario

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    How bout trading further back into the 1st round? Say we trade our 16th pick to a team in the 24-32 range for their 1st rounder and a 2nd round pick (Atlanta, Denver, and Houston are all possibilities)... I'd actually prefer this scenario
    That's certainly possible, and I wouldn't mind that type of scenario (assuming some team is desperate enough to make such an offer).

The only type of deal I would absolutely avoid would be one in which the Rams trade 1 for 1 in this year's draft and receive another pick in 2014. I'd rather start developing young talent this year.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

I could see a different situation playing out where the Rams possibly trade up. If Chance Warmack is still avaliable in the 12-14 range, I wouldn't be surprised if we sent our 16th pick and a 4th or 5th (whatever the chart dictates) to either Tampa or Carolina to secure him. I would be in favor of this because he is the one player I feel like is a can't miss AND fills a position that we definitely need an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfnRAMFAN View Post
    I could see a different situation playing out where the Rams possibly trade up. If Chance Warmack is still avaliable in the 12-14 range, I wouldn't be surprised if we sent our 16th pick and a 4th or 5th (whatever the chart dictates) to either Tampa or Carolina to secure him. I would be in favor of this because he is the one player I feel like is a can't miss AND fills a position that we definitely need an upgrade.
    Under the TVC (which is just a guideline), that type of move would cost us at least a 3rd round pick.

In case anyone wants to run their own scenarios, here's a link to the TVC:

Draft Countdown - Trade Value Chart

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

I think you stick to your board. If you have a guy who makes sense at 16 you take him. If there isn't you look for a partner to trade down. Same with 22.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    I think you stick to your board. If you have a guy who makes sense at 16 you take him. If there isn't you look for a partner to trade down. Same with 22.
    Given the distance between picks, I think the Rams are more likely to trade out of 16 if they believe the guy they want will fall back to 22. Doesn't always work though.