Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By laram0
  • 1 Post By timsum1283
  • 3 Post By Vinnie25

Thread: Should Rams pursue Eric Decker

macrammer is offline Registered User

Should Rams pursue Eric Decker

The Ramd have a bevy of WR's that are still cutting their teeth. My hope is down the road one or more will excel to the number 1 spot. While the injury to Sam did put more emphasis on the running game.....Rams did lose games they should have won because we were simply not good enough in the vertical passing game. With Sam back, should Rams sign Eric Decker?? Seems to do so would be about 9 M per year. Steep price??

This guy had a breakout year in 2013 with Payton slinging the ball to him. 87 catches 1288 yards and 13 TD's.....That would help any team. But, was it the QB, the OC the talent around him and could he possibly do the same for the Rams? I am a strong believer that Rams need to bring in a veteran number 1 guy at WR for 2014. Too much youth right now at that position. I do not hold out any hope a first round WR will be the guy in 2014. Thoughts?
    I certainly recall Drew Bennett!!!!! Nothing is for sure. But I suggest we need to spend money there.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Should Rams pursue Eric Decker

I'm don't think of Decker as a #1 WR. His numbers are a direct reflection of the offense around him and Peyton slinging the ball all over the field. I'll take a pass on Decker.
    rammiser and Haste like this.

timsum1283 is offline Registered User

I'm absolutely for it. I hope the Rams draft Mike Evans if they do not pursue Decker but I think he would be a phenomenal pick up. Decker-Givens-Austin-Cook combo would give diversity and a nice height match-up in the red zone. Decker had 7 red zone TDs last year and could really help out the team against division opponents
    Randart likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I'm don't think of Decker as a #1 WR. His numbers are a direct reflection of the offense around him and Peyton slinging the ball all over the field. I'll take a pass on Decker.
    I tend to agree on this ^---but moreso think that the cost could be used elsewhere first, and add a cheaper guy later --- Cap takes first priority

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I tend to agree on this ^---but moreso think that the cost could be used elsewhere first, and add a cheaper guy later --- Cap takes first priority
    Having said that.....then Sam has enough offensive weapons to use at his disposal for the upcoming season, right?

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Having said that.....then Sam has enough offensive weapons to use at his disposal for the upcoming season, right?
    NO way did I say that...if it were up too be I would get Kenny Britt , Brandon Coleman, and another WR all to come in along with another speedy RB

Vinnie25 is online now Registered User

I'll pass on him. He's a good #2 receiver who's going to want to be paid like a #1, plus I think his numbers were inflated by having a great QB throwing to him.
    Nick, ramsbruce and sosa39rams like this.

kman is offline Registered User

deckers not a true #1..he will getw ay more money thens he's worth and it wont be from rams..Is it me, or do ALOT of big free agent WR's never pan out on new team...obviously some do, but it seems way more dont

Randart is offline Registered User

I think both sides of this equation bring in good points... And I would hate to spend huge money but if he could be had for some kind of a decent price tag I would love this guy on our team! I think he has excellent hands and as was pointed out he can face up on smaller corners and bang them around for the ball at the highest point having more red zone targets is always nice! All this taken into account I would really love getting Mike Evans even more in the draft. Cheaper and maybe he will turn out to be as productive in the pros as college, as I think he will.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

In a word, no.

punahou is offline Registered User

no
    Decker also had Manning and Demarious Thomas to help him. Similar to Alvin Harper when he had Aikman and Irvin. When he left them, he did nothing.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Decker wasn't a number one. You have to remember for all of Decker's numbers, Thomas had better stats.
    Decker will get overpaid by a receiver needy team. I think the Rams would be better suited picking up a first round WR than going after Decker

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I like Decker, I really do. But as Tomahawk mentioned, D. Thomas had better numbers, and was consistently in the game plan. If you looked at the Broncos and their stats, you'd have seen that Decker was really the 4th option in the passing offense, because D. Thomas was their number one outside guy, Welker was their number one slot guy, and the other Thomas was their number one TE. Decker ended up getting lost out there sometimes with the balls that were being thrown to everyone else. Remember, this was the highest passing offense ever, so his 1300 yards were only about 25% of the 5400 total.

Is he good? Yes. Would he put up similar numbers without the other targets and the QB around him? Doubt it. When he moves on from the Broncos, he'll be the number one target and will start seeing consistent double teams. Unless his QB is good enough to thread the needle, he's going to struggle to put up similar numbers.
    I believe!