Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Rawr
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By citr92
  • 1 Post By Rawr

Thread: Should the Rams' trade strategy be different than it was in 2012?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Should the Rams' trade strategy be different than it was in 2012?

When the Rams traded the second pick in the 2012 draft, they essentially had two options. They could trade with Cleveland, which would have resulted in an immediate bounty (with some future considerations), or they could trade with Washington, which offered a package that spread the primary consideration over the span of three drafts (concluding this year).

The Rams chose the longer-term approach.

At that time, it made sense. The Rams were in a complete rebuild mode so, rather than trying to fix everything at once, they set up a scenario in which talent could be added more gradually as strengths and needs became more clear.

I'd submit that, at this point, an opposite approach might be in order.

Clearly, the Rams are much closer than they were in 2012. So, at this point, adding as much talent as possible for what hopefully will be a playoff run in 2014 makes sense.

Of course, the primary goal should be to maximize the return on the trade but, all things being equal, I'd vote in favor of a deal that provides the Rams with extra picks this year (even if they are in rounds 2 and 3) over a deal that spreads things out over time.

Agree?

Disagree?

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Re: Should the Rams' trade strategy be different than it was in 2012?

To be completely honest AV, the way things are going right now with this team, I think the strategy indeed needs to be different. In other words, we need to either swap places with a team ONLY A FEW SPOTS below us or stay put. We have done the right thing in retooling this roster from the ground up, and that certainly helps us with depth in the long run. But how much longer will we continue to do this and miss out on a few elite prospects at various positions?

Take Jake Matthews and Sammy Watkins for example. Or even Johnny Football (Manziel), even though we seem to be content with Bradford. These are the types of players that the Rams have to start thinking about adding to the team. There comes a point when the trading down simply is not cutting it anymore. Teams are getting better and better and are making playoff pushes. What do we have to show for it? Nothing in my mind but perceived growth and development of young players.

My point is this: the Rams need impact players now, and TWO can be had in the first round. Of course, Jeff Fisher obviously has a history of not drafting OL or WR in the first round. If he believes that he can continue to groom OL in later rounds, then I'm all for it. But how much longer will we continue to pass on impact players that are playmakers and very talented for good players that will never truly be game-changing players? Only time will tell.

Dont get me wrong; we have drafted very well these last two drafts and i truly believe that these guys will be the core of the franchise for years to come. But time is running out on not on playoff hopes and just simply being a solid contender year in year out. I feel like if we trade down TOO FAR, we may be hurting ourselves. Plus bear in mind that no team may be willing ( MAYBE, not IS) to give us the ransom that the Redskins did simply because they feel as though they dont want to be another "sucker" or be labeled as a team that the Rams fleeced again.

Rawr is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rNemesis View Post
    Take Jake Matthews and Sammy Watkins for example. Or even Johnny Football (Manziel), even though we seem to be content with Bradford. These are the types of players that the Rams have to start thinking about adding to the team.
    We don't need to pick in the top 5 to grab an elite player. We grabbed Quinn at #14, and he's clearly elite. Other guys, like Jason Smith at #2, are clearly not. Matthews and Watkins are great prospects, but it's unlikely Matthews would have been top 5 last year, and Watkins isn't on AJ Green/Calvin Johnson level (which I think is necessary if you're picking a WR at #2). The can't miss prospect of this draft is Jadeveon Clowney, and we're one of the few teams he doesn't make sense for (unless you have the balls to trade Quinn for an elite player at a different position). Drafting Manziel wouldn't make any sense. It might be more sexy and exciting, but Bradford has the greater chance at becoming an elite QB. Oddly enough, he was picked at #1, which is the area you're determined we pick in.

There comes a point when the trading down simply is not cutting it anymore. Teams are getting better and better and are making playoff pushes. What do we have to show for it? Nothing in my mind but perceived growth and development of young players.
    We don't have anything to show for it? This team has come so far since the RG3 trade. We just went 7-9 without our starting QB for most of the year in the toughest division in the league. That's impressive improvement even if you leave off the fact that we were the youngest team in the league.
    Vinnie25 and Randart like this.

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

If you would have asked me after the Cowboys game I would have said short term for sure. But with the new rookie scale I think that the team that can stay young will have the most flexbility with the cap. It hurts me to say it (I apologize in advance) but what would the Patsies do?

mde8352gorams is online now Registered User

Agree. I've been saying for a while that next season's goal will be to contend for a playoff spot. Jeff and Les will be under the gun to produce a team that wins more consistently.

Go Rams!

Randart is offline Registered User

I love to hedge my bets and get the feeling Les is in a similar mode. Would love to pick up a extra second at the least this year with a trade down and a first for next year as well. He stated he would almost be at a loss for what to do if he only had one first rounder. Makes me think he would love to do a trade as I described. And for me I agree with it, still pick high enough we have two in the top 15 and get the bonus picks as well. You still get two elite players if you evaluate well and this regime is awesome at it! I expect our pick to be worth more than the going rate as well come draft day so reap the harvest and have fun that is my view.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

If you're asking would I rather have a 2nd rounder this year over a 1st rounder next year, I have to say no.

Particularly with Bradford coming off major knee surgery.

Though I expect he will pick up where he left off, you just never know.

So for that reason I'd prefer a deal that brings us another 1st next year.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

By way of example...

Would you prefer a deal that brings the Rams:

A) an extra (high) second and (high) third round pick this year; or
    B) an extra first round pick in 2015?

I suppose the trade partner is relevant to this question. For example, I would be more interested in the Vikings 2015 first round pick (which could very well be a Top 10 pick again) than, say, the Falcons' 2015 first round pick (as they are more likely to bounce back next year and have a later selection).
    Vinnie25 likes this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

should be in 2011 mode and gear up for an RGIII type trade (hopefully this would happen)

different from last year, and much more effective imo
    Randart likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    By way of example...

I suppose the trade partner is relevant to this question. For example, I would be more interested in the Vikings 2015 first round pick (which could very well be a Top 10 pick again) than, say, the Falcons' 2015 first round pick (as they are more likely to bounce back next year and have a later selection).
    I suppose if we could draft someone like Tajh Boyd or Zach Mettenberger with one of those picks I'll take it.

Rawr is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    By way of example...

Like you said, it's difficult to tell, and depends on the team, but I'd generally prefer to pick up the 1st rounder next year. I think the first rounder has a higher value, and I'd be willing to wait for it.
    Randart likes this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rawr View Post
    Like you said, it's difficult to tell, and depends on the team, but I'd generally prefer to pick up the 1st rounder next year. I think the first rounder has a higher value, and I'd be willing to wait for it.
    especially if said team sucks again

chiguy is offline Registered User

Honestly, I don't care one way or another. If we trade down, I want the deal with the model picks in the top 50 (or so).

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I think being in year three of their "regime" Snead and Fisher will need to have something to show for it. Not a strict "win now" methodology, but rather an improvement. Certainly no steps backward.
    Last year was a strong showing, especially with having to play nine games with Clemens at QB.

I would suspect that they would be more tempted by a 2nd and 3rd rounder this year rather than a future first rounder. If they get the right pieces in place, this team could challenge.