Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    clarasDK is offline Registered User

Should we consider Michael Crabtree?

As it is hard to follow college football here in Europe I am a little clueless about how good Crabtree actually is. But everything I have read about him and all the highlight footage I have seen indicates that he could be the next Fitzgerald.

If this is the case my question is should we draft him with our first pick?

Before you rave around and tell me that I am stupid and that we need to take an OT or maybe some defense player like Curry please read the considerations behind the madness .

1. I think Holt will be gone. That means our nr 1 WR will be either Bennett (yea right we all know he is a bust) or Avery. I am not sure that Avery good enough to be a nr 1? Crabtree could become our playmaker here?

2. If I look a the way that the Giants played O this year they run the ball a lot as we know. But their game was also very depending on having Burress for the deep play now and then. Again I think Crabtree could be our version of Burress (hopefully without all the off the field problems).

The Eagles also used TO in a similar way with great success and I guess our offence will be kind of a mix between Giants/Eagles.

3. If we do not have a dangerous receiver corps our gameplan will become to one dimensional and that will just stop Jackson and thereby stall our attack.

4. If we will be a run, run, run, run, play Action throw deep, run, run run offence as I think we will wouldn't it be possible to find some good runblocking linemen in freeagency or later in the draft together a good FB?

5. Having a big name playmaker would benefit both the team and the fans on a psychological level firing up everyone and thereby helping change the momentum of a game. An O-line player is for me always something neutral/invincible in regards of pumping up the team spirit in games it is very seldom that a good OT play will get anyone pumped up. Its part of the game that as long as a O-line player is doing a good job he will not be noticed because the focus will then be on the running play or passing play that worked. I would much rather have a big name playmaker that can fire up both the crowd and the team with big plays (a good D player like Curry could do the same).

6. Warner and the Cardinals have showed very well what a big play WR can mean for an offence this year. If opponents try to put presure on Kurt by blizing and leaving Fitz in single coverage the are punished for it almost every time. This means a Big play WR can actually help take some presure of the QB. And yes I know Kurt is one of the best to beat the blitz, but still without Fitz they would not be able to do it either.

7. If we do not take Crabtree I am pretty sure that the Seahawks will. If he turn out to be a new Fitz we would have to meet him twice each year and the real fitz twice each year.

So what do you think?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Should we consider Michael Crabtree?

I think after last year we should consider every position but P and K

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Nah your not crazy, I think we should take whoever establishes themselves as the best player available.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

While I agree there is certainly a need for a WR...to start talking about taking one (out of THIS draft) with the #2 over-all pick is INSANE!! Ive said it before...and Im saying it again. Prepare to see RAMSES BARDEN on Sundays. He will be out there in a later round. 6'6" with GREAT hands. He doesnt have Moss like speed but he has everything else to make him a steal for someone.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    While I agree there is certainly a need for a WR...to start talking about taking one (out of THIS draft) with the #2 over-all pick is INSANE!! Ive said it before...and Im saying it again. Prepare to see RAMSES BARDEN on Sundays. He will be out there in a later round. 6'6" with GREAT hands. He doesnt have Moss like speed but he has everything else to make him a steal for someone.
    The question is if any of the available OT's are good enough to be taken with a nr 2 pick? Does any of them have as much potential as Jake Long did last year?

Quote Originally Posted by clarasDK View Post
    The question is if any of the available OT's are good enough to be taken with a nr 2 pick? Does any of them have as much potential as Jake Long did last year?

Yes, there are four that are good enough to go top 5. Andre Smith, Michael Oher, Eugene Monroe and Jason Smith will all be studs in the NFL. I just took a look at the gbn report, a site I really like for college prospects, and they have the Rams taking Crabtree in Rd 1 in their updated Mock Draft with the Lions taking Andre Smith #1.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -01-23-2009 at 05:59 PM.

I dont think any of the OL guys this year are the caliber of Long. If they dont go OL at #2 then best defender would be far more practical IMO. This team remains a SIEVE vs. the run. That has to end before they become a legit contender.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

The Rams war room could go like this:

Guys do we want Michael Crabtree, Andre Smith, Michael Oher, Eugene Monroe, Jeremy Macklin? And the coaches would go....Yep.

lol

I cant believe that GBN has my man Barden ranked down at 23rd WR. Ridiculous. The only thing keeping him down is the fact that he played at a smaller (FCS) school. He is totally UNDERVALUED on that chart. Virtually the same 40 time as Crabtree (4.55/4.60) too. Those who sleep on this kid will be sorry.

I see that nfldraftscout.com has him as the #10 WR. Watch for this kid at the Senior Bowl tomorrow. He is already impressing onlookers there.

djdeeznutz Guest

I just stopped reading after the 2nd point.

Are u expecting a rookie WR to be the #1 guy in his 1st year? and why cant Avery be the #1 guy if Holt leaves. Avery showed good signs last year. Crabtree could be #2 his rookie year nd i expect him to be like a lary Fitzgerald. But just not rookie year.

I still think the Lions are going to get Andre Smith and either going to force the Rams to take Crabtree or trade out of #2

Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    I just stopped reading after the 2nd point.

Are u expecting a rookie WR to be the #1 guy in his 1st year? and why cant Avery be the #1 guy if Holt leaves. Avery showed good signs last year. Crabtree could be #2 his rookie year nd i expect him to be like a lary Fitzgerald. But just not rookie year.

I still think the Lions are going to get Andre Smith and either going to force the Rams to take Crabtree or trade out of #2
    I did not say anything about him being the nr 1 guy this year, I guess it will take more than a year to turn this around.

And I agree with you that Lions will probably go for Smith and then hope to pick up Stafford or Sanchez with the Dallas pick.

What about Eugene Monroe how good is he? Would he be good enough our pick?

djdeeznutz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by clarasDK View Post
    I did not say anything about him being the nr 1 guy this year, I guess it will take more than a year to turn this around.

And I agree with you that Lions will probably go for Smith and then hope to pick up Stafford or Sanchez with the Dallas pick.

What about Eugene Monroe how good is he? Would he be good enough our pick?
    WITH THE 2ND PICK IN THE NFL DRAFT HE ST. LOUIS RAMS SELECT:

eugene monroe???????????????

are u serious Monroe is not even a top 5 maybe not a top 10 Oher is way better then Monroe.

I honestly think that if the lions take smith the Rams will trade out of #2 and take a linebacker (maleuga or curry if the browns are stupid) Then trade back into the late 1st round and pick up Alex Mack

Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    WITH THE 2ND PICK IN THE NFL DRAFT HE ST. LOUIS RAMS SELECT:

eugene monroe???????????????

are u serious Monroe is not even a top 5 maybe not a top 10 Oher is way better then Monroe.

I honestly think that if the lions take smith the Rams will trade out of #2 and take a linebacker (maleuga or curry if the browns are stupid) Then trade back into the late 1st round and pick up Alex Mack
    Well many mocks drafts have Monroe as the second best right after Smith. Oher seems so have fallen down many boards and I have read that many thinks he would do better as a guard then a tackle. But as mentioned earlier it is hart to follow college games from Denmark so in many cases I can only relate what I read in mock drafts and so forth.

A-Web is offline Registered User

I think I would prefer our team to take on the offensive line. It is universal production. Run assisting, and pass assisting. Also, I believe that our quarterback is broken from the busted up line they have been playing with.

You ever watch a war movie where a bombshell goes off near someone, and they get shell-shock? That's what I picture Bulger's hearing and vision like as he plays in the NFL at this point. I think he's terrified to hang in the pocket, and he is justified in being so. He has been hit by grenade-like and bombshell-like hits for too many years now. He's not Big Ben, he cannot just get up like the Terminator and keep killing, he's just...Bulger. So I think they need to establish a good line, so that his confidence can build up, or else, when that contract wears thin, I think he will be jumping ship like a smart captain would.

Andre Smith wins my vote, and is leading most mock drafts for us. Quarterbacks seem to be projected to the Lions on almost all boards that I've seen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast