Bigtime is offline Registered User

Should we trade down with Minnesota?

If Vernon Davis and Michael Huff are both drafted--and if QB Jay Cutler is still sitting there--should we trade down with Minnesota or someone within 13-19?
    I'd say trade down with the Vikings (#17 overall) and pick up their 3rd-round pick this season AND maybe tack on a 4th or 5th-rounder next season.
    Minnesota could draft Jay Cutler or a running back like LenDale White or someone...the Vikings still have those two 2nd-round picks, so they have ammunition.

We could then trade down at #17 and draft strongside Linebacker Bobby Carpenter. In Round 2 we could draft a Tight End like Marcedes Lewis or Dominique Byrd or Anthony Fasano. With those two 3rd-rounders we could go with Safety like Pat Watkins or Greg Blue and Defensive End like Eric Henderson or Elvis Dumervil...PLUS we'd have an extra pick in 2007.

This is all contingent of Davis AND Huff being drafted (I think we'll end up with Davis) AND Cutler still undrafted at #11 and the Vikings willing to trade up to get him as their QB of the Future. Culter could VERY likely fall, especially if Vince Young falls to Oakland at #7 or Arizona at #10 and the Jets don't draft either one of 'em.

I know some of you would disagree and would have us drafting Virginia Tech's Jimmy Williams to compete with Atogwe at Free Safety and/or several guys at Cornerback.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Should we trade down with Minnesota?

Trading down is certainly an option, especially if Cutler is available. The difference between our first round pick and Minnesota's is a late second round pick, so combining a third and a fourth from next year (or maybe even another third from next year) could be advantageous, especially if it allows the Vikings to get their franchise QB.

I think the additional third this year could give us a couple of good options, such as combining both of them to move up into the latter half of the second if someone we like really falls. Or we could stay put and likely get two pretty good prospects right there as well.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I'd rather trade up and get Vernon Davis.
    RamsFan16

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    I'd rather trade up and get Vernon Davis.
    Not me. No way would I want to trade up to get Davis. In fact I really don't want us to draft him even if he falls to #11, although we would probably have a hard time passing on him if that happens. If he is still there at #11 I would hope that someone else might covet him enough to want to trade up to our spot to grab him.

Drew4EverRams is offline Registered User

i want VD...the player i mean not the,ya know......

wouldnt trade up to get him tho,think if/when detroit passes on him he`s ours!!!

Do you not get that Vernon Davis ran the 40 .01 behind Reggie Bush? (42 inch vertical and 10’8” broad jump) vs Bush Had a 10-foot-9 long jump and 40-inch vertical jump

VERNON DAVIS IS A TIGHT END!!! He almost outdid Bush in everything and is about 40 pounds heavier and did 33 Reps of 225! This man is IMO the most gifted athlete in the Draft and maybe even in the NFL!
    RamsFan16

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

How much does Reggie Bush weigh 200 pounds? Davis is only 240! and when he is playing football he isn't playing college teams.

Bush weighs like 210 Davis is 250. PUT IN COLLEGE VIDEO OF DAVIS AND WATCH WHAT HE DOES!
    RamsFan16

Bigtime is offline Registered User

Cool posts

Hey, pretty knowledgable posts there fans! I like this board already...

No, I do not see us trading up to draft Vernon Davis. Too many good options in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (Lewis, Fasano, Byrd, Klopfenstein who needs work in blocking, etc.). I DO see us trading up to grab SS Michael Huff ahead of Detroit if Huff falls that far. He's listed in mocks as going to S.F., Oakland and Detroit most often, sometimes the Rams at #11.

If we don't have to give up anything more than a 3rd-rounder on top of our #11 pick to Buffalo, I say go for that one. Huff can play strong safety and make an immediate impact as a rookie, moving Chavous to his more natural fit at Free safety (Linehan/Haslett would have to change their minds in that scenario).

But again, if Davis is drafted by San Fran, Arizona or some other team, AND Huff is drafted by again, San Fran, Detroit or Oakland, then I'd say trade down...unless Haslett, Linehan, Armey and our organization as a whole really likes Chad Greenway or something--another one we could possibly trade DOWN for. How many good starting LB's w/ less-than-average lower body strength are there, especially good cover LBs? Probably plenty...:tongue:

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Bigtime, or trade with Detroit to get Huff (instead of getting ahead of them)

Yeah, Minnesota is on the hunt for a QB. #11 may not get them that QB, especially since the Cardinals need a QB of the future.

Pass on Vernon Davis. Beware of players that move up significantly because of what they do in shorts. I thinK Workout Warrior. How many of those Workout Warriors don't pan out.

I say Hawk, Huff, or Ngata,, If those 3 are gone, we should trade out of that spot. Problem is, other teams will recognize the talent dropoff and may not be motivated to move up.

Teams move up for certain players.. They won't want the #11 pick at this stage,, they'll want player X.. I guess it's possible V. Davis may be there at #11 and someone may want him. Hawk and Mario are gone.. They're gone as we speak... So, I'll narrrow it, IMO, if Huff and Ngata are out of reach, shop the pick and get maxium value.

I don't think SanFran is going Huff, Nolan has made noise about how Huff would be viable at their pick if he was a corner.
    I don't think Oakland will go for Huff either.

Buffalo and Detroit and most are predicting Detroit as being our biggest competition.

---------------
    Huff-Daddy
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; -04-05-2006 at 03:42 AM.

Drew4EverRams is offline Registered User

Do you not get that Vernon Davis ran the 40 .01 behind Reggie Bush? (42 inch vertical and 108 broad jump) vs Bush Had a 10-foot-9 long jump and 40-inch vertical jump

VERNON DAVIS IS A TIGHT END!!! He almost outdid Bush in everything and is about 40 pounds heavier and did 33 Reps of 225! This man is IMO the most gifted athlete in the Draft and maybe even in the NFL!

altho im all for VD,i think the workout stats dont always mean we should pick that player over another,we are not talking about selecting a member of the olympic team after all ;we talking about selecting NFL players!

im still forVD but what he has done on the field of play during games are my main reason along with the fact i think we need a good TE to convert more TD`s per red zone visit,something that really hurt us last year on numerous occassions!

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

The FO is not known for doing a lot of trading in the draft. They did trade up for Jackson but that was a rare occurance.

We certainly should not care too much about the workout numbers for any player. VD may be a good option but it should be because he knows how to block, and how to get open and catch the ball, not because he can throw some weights around and jump real high.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Yes, we need a TE but our offense is plenty adequate and there will be good TE prospects available in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.
    It's defense that that we need help with and I think it would be a mistake to take VD with our first pick and a huge mistake to move up to get him.
    Should VD fall to us at 11, are there any teams behind us who would want to move up to get him?

Truth is offline Registered User

Bush weighs like 210 Davis is 250. PUT IN COLLEGE VIDEO OF DAVIS AND WATCH WHAT HE DOES!
    COLLEGE VIDEO?!?!The NFL is a whole different world. As we've all seen too many times, a GREAT college career doesn't even guarantee a MEDIOCRE NFL career.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!