Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

SI.com: Raiders leaning towards Johnson?

In an article primarily about JaMarcus Russell, the following appeared. Take it for what it's worth.

Still, I'm skeptical enough to wonder whether Russell, who doesn't have great mobility, isn't this decade's version of Druckenmiller. And since I'm realistic enough to know that I'm not qualified to supply the answer, I spoke recently to four experts who are. All are respected NFL scouts or personnel men who preferred to remain anonymous.

What they told me, essentially, was this: Yeah, we hear you about the workout-wonder thing, and drafting a quarterback is always a risky proposition. But as far as we and everyone else in our business can tell, this guy is for real real.

"His workout dazzled everybody, but I don't think it's a novelty act," said a veteran scout for an NFC team. "He is f----- legit."

Said another NFC scout: "Every single guy in our organization who evaluated him gave a monster grade. I've never seen a guy with such a consistent mark across the board like that. He's got so much talent. He can roll away from pressure, he's accurate and he's just phenomenal throwing the ball."

When I asked specifically about Druckenmiller, this scout cut me off and said, "No, no, no, no, no! He is nowhere near a Druckenmiller, who could throw the ball through a building but was a big stiff, like a linebacker playing quarterback. And don't give me the (Byron) Leftwich comparisons; this guy's a much more accurate passer, and he can move much better.

"He should be a star, a guy who can carry a team on his back. For Al Davis, who's obsessed with throwing deep, this is the guy he's been dreaming about all these years."

Maybe so, but something tells me Russell to the Raiders isn't as certain as most people are portraying it to be. Sure, the franchise needs a quarterback the way some folks in the Oakland Hills neighborhood in which I used to live need Xanax, but I'm hearing from people in the know that Davis is locking in on Georgia Tech receiver Calvin Johnson.

The thinking is that Davis, who is 77 and said to be in poor health, is desperate to win now, and he understands how hard it is to do so with even the most talented of rookie quarterbacks. Davis also is well aware of the glaringly low success rate of quarterbacks drafted in the first round over the past 15 years. Remarkably, he still has faith in incumbent quarterback Andrew Walter, and Johnson is the closest thing to a sure bet -- and, potentially, an instant impact player -- that the draft has to offer.

Inside at least one rival team's pre-draft meeting on Wednesday, the talk was that Johnson to the Raiders is a done deal. If these plugged-in personnel people are right about that, it would certainly shake up the top of the draft.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...rms/index.html

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: SI.com: Raiders leaning towards Johnson?

It would shake up the entire top of the draft and very well could affect our chances, but it's really impossible to say by how much. You could likely devise a mock with CJ going #1 that would show how it could help us and one that could show how it could hurt us. I still think a good defensive player will fall even if CJ goes first though.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

"...still has faith in incumbent quarterback Andrew Walter.." Well if ol' Al doesn't fix the OL then it's going to be another year of the RECUMBENT Andrew Walter. Is it just me or does Walter look to dumb or what to be an NFL QB?

WHAT SAY YE?

rampete is offline Registered User

...Davis also is well aware of the glaringly low success rate of quarterbacks drafted in the first round over the past 15 years. Remarkably, he still has faith in incumbent quarterback Andrew Walter, and Johnson is the closest thing to a sure bet -- and, potentially, an instant impact player -- that the draft has to offer...
    hmm...is this writer conveniently forgetting the recent rash of relative success at the qb position taken in the 1st round? or is he over generalizing by ignoring the recent trend and bunching them in a larger diluted sample spanding almost two decades?

2000- chad pennington #18
    2001- mike vick #1
    2001- dree bress #1 (2nd rd.)
    2002- carson palmer #1
    2004- eli mannng #1
    2004- philip rivers #4
    2004- ben rothlisberger...#11
    2006- vince young #3
    2006- matt leinart #10
    2006- jay cutler #11

while none of these guys are sure fire hall of famers, i wouldn't call these high picks an example of "glaringly low success of qbs..." either...the worst year was 2003 with carr and harrington but overall the last 7 drafts have provided some impressive qbs high in the 1st round...

speaking of WRs in the first round...i find this almost more interesting in light of the fact the writer seemlingly never raised the issue of failure rate at this position...

2000- Peter Warrick #4
    2000- Plaxico Burress #8
    2000- Travis Taylor #10
    2000- Sylvester Morris#21
    2001- David Terrell #8
    2001- Koren Robinson #9
    2001- Rod Gardner #15
    2001- Santana Moss #16
    2001- Freddie Mitchell #25
    2002- Donte' Stallworth #13
    2002- Ashley Lelie #19
    2002- Javon Walker #20
    2003- Charles Rogers #2
    2003- Bryant Johnson #17
    2005- Braylon Edwards #3
    2005- Troy Williamson #7
    2005- Mike Williams #10
    2005- Matt Jones #21
    2005- Mark Clayton #22
    2006- Santonio Holmes #25

the exceptional year being 2004 with fitzgerald, roy williams and lee evans picked in the top 13...

Country is offline Registered User

1. Johnson
    2. Russell
    3. Quinn
    4. Adams
    5. Thomas
    6. Okoye
    7. Landry
    8. Anderson
    9. Brown

I think that it shakes up the very top but will not affect the Rams.

BigGame is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Is it just me or does Walter look to dumb or what to be an NFL QB?

WHAT SAY YE?
    I say that if you are going to make that kind of statement, it is best to proofread.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    1. Johnson
    2. Russell
    3. Quinn
    4. Adams
    5. Thomas
    6. Okoye
    7. Landry
    8. Anderson
    9. Brown

I think that it shakes up the very top but will not affect the Rams.
    For some reason I never thought of this possibility, but it would be really interesting to see what Martz could do with Russell

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rampete
    hmm...is this writer conveniently forgetting the recent rash of relative success at the qb position taken in the 1st round? or is he over generalizing by ignoring the recent trend and bunching them in a larger diluted sample spanding almost two decades?

2000- chad pennington #18
    2001- mike vick #1
    2001- dree bress #1 (2nd rd.)
    2002- carson palmer #1
    2004- eli mannng #1
    2004- philip rivers #4
    2004- ben rothlisberger...#11
    2006- vince young #3
    2006- matt leinart #10
    2006- jay cutler #11
    Last I checked, Pennington was starting, but the Jets weren't entirely sold on him. Jay Cutler has only had 5 starts but he's managed 13 turnovers. Matt Leinart has a career QB rating of 74.0; that's not very good. Vince Young's rating is 66.7. Granted the Titans had a nice winning streak there, but in many of those games Young didn't have more than 160 yards through the air (he had only 8 completions for 85 yards in a win against the Jaguars). Brees didn't go in the first round. Alex Smith recorded one of the worst seasons by an NFL quarterback in recent memory in 2005. Byron Leftwich is in danger of losing his starting position, and Grossman isn't earning a lot of brownie points for his team either. J.P. Losman hasn't exactly cemented his place in Bills history. David Carr just got handed his walking papers. How about Kyle Boller? Patrick Ramsey?

The only definite successes I see over the last five years are Carson Palmer, Michael Vick, Eli Manning, and Ben Roethlisberger. So I'd say the risk is still there for QB, too.

Now if the Raiders were to take a receiver, I suspect it would mix up the order at the top, but the same offensive talents would still be taken, leaving the same number of defensive players available. It might mix up which particular players were taken, but I think there would still be some very talented players still available when we pick.

max
    max is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It would shake up the entire top of the draft and very well could affect our chances, but it's really impossible to say by how much. You could likely devise a mock with CJ going #1 that would show how it could help us and one that could show how it could hurt us. I still think a good defensive player will fall even if CJ goes first though.
    If the Raiders take CJ, it could get real funky.

What if Detroit really wants Adams? Any trade visions are gone without CJ.

Now Cleveland has their pick of QB's. They very well may jump on Russell.

TB does what now? Not Quinn, and they got Cadillac so no Peterson. They may take a defensive player here, maybe Okoye reminds them of Sapp?

This is our worst nightmare. 2 DL's are off the board in the first 4 picks.

If Washington doesn't trade down, they probably take Anderson over Branch.

Then we gotta sweat out six picks #7 - #12, and hope we don't hear Branch and Carriker get called.