richtree is offline Registered User

Sidney Rice & Chad Greenway -- The Vikings and the NFL's franchise tag

The Vikings and the NFL's franchise tag

By Jeremy Fowler on February 3, 2011 8:50 AM | No Comments | No TrackBacks

The NFL is allowing teams to apply the franchise tag starting Feb. 10, according to the Boston Globe's Greg A. Bedard, which adds another dimension to the Vikings' free agency journey.
    The franchise tag, as a refresher, gives teams the flexibility to retain key players by signing them to one-year deals with a salary that amounts to an average of the league's top-five paid at that position. Then there's the transition tag, which is a similar device that pays out the average of the top 10 at the position.
    Only two Vikings free agents truly make sense for either of these options: Linebacker Chad Greenway and Sidney Rice.
    After 144 tackles last season, Greenway is a productive outside linebacker who is looking to secure a long-term contract. Sidney Rice might be in a tougher negotiating spot after missing nine games to a hip injury in 2010, but Rice showed what he can do in a full season with an elite quarterback after catching 83 passes on his way to a 2009 Pro Bowl.
    The Vikings had made their free agency plans clear toward the end of last season: They didn't plan to do much of anything until the CBA smoke clears up. That can change, of course, but I don't expect the Vikings to be one of the most active teams in the coming months.
    I haven't seen the franchise/transition tag numbers for 2011, but the 2010 numbers pertaining to Greenway and Rice are as follows:
    LINEBACKER: $9.68 million franchise, $8.37 transition
    WIDE RECEIVER: $9.52 franchise, $8.65 transition
    An eventual franchise tag for Greenway is a realistic option, especially in light of the impending lockout. Securing Greenway to top-five money, if only for a year, would reward him with the gesture of being one of the best at the position without committing to a long-term deal before the CBA is done. A transition tag might be a slap in the face to Greenway's camp, but maybe the Vikings will soon be ready to solidify the position with a long-term deal. Greenway has made clear he wants to stay in Minnesota.
    As for Rice, I have spoken to two NFL agents who believe Rice will get the transition tag from the Vikings. It might be an easy decision in light of Rice's unpredictable last offseason in which both sides couldn't reach a long-term extension and Rice decided on hip surgery two weeks before the season started instead of months earlier. Upon his return, Rice showed in seven games that some of the explosive ability is still there, though not all the way back to his old form. And signing another free agent wide receiver would be costly for the Vikings. Why not keep Rice for one more season and go from there?

thermobee is offline Registered User

Re: Sidney Rice & Chad Greenway -- The Vikings and the NFL's franchise tag

Thats not good news for us.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Actually if Rice just gets the transition tag I think we could sign him to a lucrative extension if we want too. It would be pretty risky because we aren't sure about his hip even though he showed some explosivness in his return

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Actually if Rice just gets the transition tag I think we could sign him to a lucrative extension if we want too. It would be pretty risky because we aren't sure about his hip even though he showed some explosivness in his return

Exactly, we could do this. Not a bad deal for us depending on the guaranteed money.

AtlantaRamFan is online now Registered User

Yeah there isn't any compensation given up for signing someone with a Transition tag, just that the original club has the right of first refusal (in case anyone was curious).

I don't see our front office using any "poison pill" conditions like the Vikings/Seahawks did to each other a couple years ago, but I definitely could see a long term offer. We would just have to hope the Vikings weren't ok with matching. And if so, there is V-Jax and then the draft. I'm sure between the 2 avenues we'll grab a playmaker

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

The Viks were never gonna let Rice go anyway...

AtlantaRamFan is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    The Viks were never gonna let Rice go anyway...
    You may be absolutely correct. And for very good reason. The same reasons we want him on the Rams, they want to keep him on the Vikings. But they'll have a lot of money tied up in him and Greenway, they have no QB worth starting and I'm sure they have other holes that need filling. Imagine if the Rams went 6-10 and were in danger of losing their best 2 players. So maybe...just maybe..they'll not take a gamble on a long term deal with Rice and instead spread their money around...I'll keep my fingers crossed until the Vikings match an offer