Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Re: TO signs one year deal with Bills...

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Actually, that is exactly what they did. They win the first two rounds of the playoffs w/o TO. TO comes back for the Super Bowl and they lose. So like I said, in my original statement, how many playoff games did his last two free agent suitors (Philly & Dallas) win with him? Zero.
    wait didnt that TO guy play the superbowl with a broken leg and have over 100 yards and a td??? not 100% positive..

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't have taken T.O. if he paid the Rams $6.5 Million.

general counsel is offline Registered User

TO had 9 catches for 122 yards in the superbowl despite returning from a broken bone in his leg/ankle which required the insertion of screws after the horse collar by roy williams on december 19th. In the regular season, owens had 77 catches for 1200 yards and 14 tds, despite missing almost the last month. That was my point in stating that they dont get to the superbowl without him. Technically, i dont disagree with HUB, i appreciate that if you view the playoffs completely independently, he didnt play in the playoffs and thus, they got to the superbowl without him. I will also say that they would not have been anywhere near as competitive in the superbowl without him and i think his numbers speak for themselves in that regard.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Yes, but... so what?

Nobody ever said that T.O. can't play football. Talent-wise, he is among the best of the last decade at the position (despite the fact that he does drop more balls than he should).

The problem is, he accumulates stats to the detriment of his teammates. If he does not get the ball enough, he whines and complains and makes everyone on the team focus on him. Imagine what a guy like that would do to the development of Avery and Burton. They would become mere spectators and, in the end, T.O. still would not be satisfied.

Let him be the Bills' problem.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

If T.O. played it straight and stayed away from all the drama queen nonsense, the Eagles and Cowboys might have won some post-season games, but he didn't and they never did. Good luck Bills.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Not to mention all his dropped passes. Second in the league last year, behind Braylon "we're not supposed to knock the ball down?" Edwards.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Face it guys T.O. is never going to get his head screwed on straight, he is 33 years old he is a grown man. If T.O. had his mind right we are talking about him as a top 5 WR of all time possibly the second best ever, but he doesn't have that Jerry Rice or Lynn Swann attitude.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    This is crazy. It only took 6.5 million. A one year dosen't hurt anyone. He would of helped Avery & Burton develop. So what he's not a leader. The guy has always been fine in the first year of his contract. Check his past record. We could of bought more time for our young guys. As far as the cap goes. Make it work.... Washington always does....
    These two statements contradict each other. If he's not a leader, he cannot help Avery and Burton develop. He is old and selfish enough that signing him would not be worth it to the Rams.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    Sure Avery and Burton will develop in time. But you need someone to take the pressure off. And I'm not talking about an old washed up character guy. All were gonna end up with are guys like Toomer or Engram. Boy now I'm shaking in my shoes. How are these guys gonna get open? Our receivers are going to be a joke without Holt. You gotta bring in someone of a higher caliber. And these type of guys don't come available easy or without some baggage...
    How did Ike learn way back when? Avery and Burton are quite talented, and can develop without an egomaniac screaming about the ball.

Besides, if you want to keep the heat off of them, there's always Jackson.

rammiser is offline Registered User

It's amazing all I ever hear is people wanting to dump Bulger and get rid of Jackson. People calling Jackson T.O. even though he is a really good guy. Both of them are really good guys (Bulger,Jackson). Then when a walking chemistry killer becomes available people are crying we didnt go get him? Sure T.O. is an amazing athlete but is he really going to make Bulger better? I don't think so, he would make Bulger force balls to him to meet his quota. I just don't get it people ignore the real problems with football teams and then want a guy like T.O. The last thing we need is an over priced loud mouthed,butter finger 36 year old wr that sucks the air out of the room through his nose. We can get a good wr in the draft that wont kill the locker room with a single bound. Maybe we can release Bulger and Jackson and let T.O. snap the ball to himself handoff to himself and throw it to himself, cause he loves me some me.
    Just Fix It

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Dallas should have kept T.O. and sent Romo packing. Romo will struggle greatly without T.O. It wasn't T.O.'s fault last year for the demise of the Cowboys. The O line was terrible, Romo made a bunch of stupid mistakes down the stretch, and the Cowboys completely abandoned the running game. Cowboys fans here are livid. Most are saying they should have kept T.O. and got rid of Romo and Jason Garrett.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    My point in saying that they dont get to the superbowl without him was that they dont assemble the best record in the nfc without him and dont get home field in the playoffs without him, both of which were significant contributing factors in getting them to the superbowl. I appreciate that he didnt play in the playoff games. I stated that you cant say that they didnt win with him, and they certainly won an awful lot with him in the lineup and you cant diminish his performance in that superbowl.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Yes, yes, agreed on all points. However, I didn't say any of those things. My question was, how many playoff games did the Eagles & Cowboys win with him? The answer is still......zero.

He was a contributor on the field for the Eagles in 2004. And it may be fair to say, they don't get to the playoffs without him. But they won 2 playoff games without him; and lost the super bowl with him.

That's all I'm saying.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    wait didnt that TO guy play the superbowl with a broken leg and have over 100 yards and a td??? not 100% positive..
    And did they win that game with him, as they did the two previous weeks without him?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

As has often been observed, TO is still a formidable weapon when things are going well but I'd still rather have a couple of Ricky Proehls when you're in a slump.

The Bills move mystifies me. I thought they had a decent pass attack. It was injury problems to Edwards & the drop-off to Losman that largely caused their slump mid-season,no? Don't see how TO's pattern of exacerbating the stress of a slump would have helped there.

I'd have gone with a better QB back-up or even a better RB back-up since Lynch's career is hanging by a sensimilla stem.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

If Romo puts the ball down correctly the Cowboys beat the Seahawks. If Romo has a better game against the Giants, the Cowboys win that one.

It's not just T.O.'s fault in Dallas. Philly? I don't know. Not close to that scene. Dallas? Three hours up the road and you can't get away from the Cowboys in Texas even if you tried.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast