View Poll Results: Most important D-line need?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pass rushing DE

7 26.92%
  • Big Fat NT

5 19.23%
  • Multiple Threat DT

14 53.85%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: Simple Discussion

If we're going by the Cardinals game, Suh indeed. Our interior defensive line is really weak. Especially rushing the passer.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

In Gordo's postgame chat he mentioned a few times that the Rams like 2 or 3 DTs more than Suh. This would have to be McCoy, Cody, and or Arthur Jones.
    To me Suh and McCoy are equal, but the edge in the running game would go to McCoy, and I guess Spags wants a stout DT to stop the run.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by codeman123 View Post
    In Gordo's postgame chat he mentioned a few times that the Rams like 2 or 3 DTs more than Suh. This would have to be McCoy, Cody, and or Arthur Jones.
    To me Suh and McCoy are equal, but the edge in the running game would go to McCoy, and I guess Spags wants a stout DT to stop the run.
    Well lets look at what Spags had back in New York.Bary Cofield and Fred Robbins are his guys on the inside. Cofield is 6'4" 307 and Robbins is 6'4" 317. Those are some big guys. The only real size that we have inside is Clifton Ryan who is 6'3" 324. But there are questions if he is a quality starter. My guess is that Spags doesn't want someone who is a multidimensional guy and just wants someone to plug up the run. That would make sense for why we aren't really interested in Suh. Then maybe the plan is to put the big man next to Clifton to put some girth in the middle, kick Carriker out to defensive end, and have some sort of rotation of Long, Little, and Carriker out there. Wouldn't suprise me given that Spags likes to move his defensive guys around.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    Well lets look at what Spags had back in New York.Bary Cofield and Fred Robbins are his guys on the inside. Cofield is 6'4" 307 and Robbins is 6'4" 317. Those are some big guys. The only real size that we have inside is Clifton Ryan who is 6'3" 324. But there are questions if he is a quality starter. My guess is that Spags doesn't want someone who is a multidimensional guy and just wants someone to plug up the run. That would make sense for why we aren't really interested in Suh. Then maybe the plan is to put the big man next to Clifton to put some girth in the middle, kick Carriker out to defensive end, and have some sort of rotation of Long, Little, and Carriker out there. Wouldn't suprise me given that Spags likes to move his defensive guys around.
    Both Cofield and and Robbins are free agents at the end of this season. It would be nice to pick up Cofield. Not only is he proven NFL talent, he is proven in Spags defensive system and would likely be swayed to coming here because of Spags.
    It doesn't matter how we get a DT, we just need one to sure up our defense.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Arthur Jones out for the year with a knee injury.

I wouldn't trust gordo, he kept say Suh was 291 and that we would be scared to grab another Nebraska DT. First off what the last organization did will have zero impact on what this one does. Suh and carriker are completely different players, Suh plays in a 4-3 right now and Carriker played in a 3-4 in college. Suh is 6'4 304 the same exact size as Barry Cofield a former spags DT.

Based on some of things he said he thinks the Rams like Cody. He said they liked a guy more than Suh and at the same time he said the Rams want more size at the position. McCoy is smaller than Suh so its not him, so I think his read is Mount Cody is the guy the Rams want.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Arthur Jones out for the year with a knee injury.

I wouldn't trust gordo, he kept say Suh was 291 and that we would be scared to grab another Nebraska DT. First off what the last organization did will have zero impact on what this one does. Suh and carriker are completely different players, Suh plays in a 4-3 right now and Carriker played in a 3-4 in college. Suh is 6'4 304 the same exact size as Barry Cofield a former spags DT.

Based on some of things he said he thinks the Rams like Cody. He said they liked a guy more than Suh and at the same time he said the Rams want more size at the position. McCoy is smaller than Suh so its not him, so I think his read is Mount Cody is the guy the Rams want.
    Could it be Boo Robinson or Vince Oghobaase?

It will certainly be an interesting offseason. There is a lot of room to upgrade.
    I watched about 5 minutes of the GB game and saw Kampman line up at his "usual" 4-3 end spot, beat his defender clean and get a sack. He is being horribly misused in the 3-4 OLB spot and would also be a good pickup. He definitely has something left in the tank and would benefit from a change of scenery.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    True. However, if Cody somehow falls to us in the second round because of the concern about being a two down player, I wouldn't hesitate to grab him.
    His weight concerns me, if his weight is an issue at 21 image where it will go from here, but if he does fall to us then I pray that he'll be the next Gilbert Brown

I didn't know Gordo had pull like that, but from what I have learned is that teams always lie a bit to throw other teams off come draft time.

I think we have to go out and get someone like Terrence Cody. He is a large run stopping presence in the middle that we have been desperately needing. He has size, speed, athletic ability, strength. Everything you could want from a defensive lineman. Every year there are always top defensive ends coming out. How often does a mammoth defensive tackle with skill come out? How many Vince Wilforks and Pat/Kevin/Jamal Williams come out? They are far and few inbetween. That type of presence in the middle, will take more attention away from our ends.
    Speed? Did you just put speed and Cody in the same sentence...surely you joke...

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Speed? Did you just put speed and Cody in the same sentence...surely you joke...
    No sir I do not. There are some excellent clips on youtube. Look up Terrence Cody blocks kick, he shows excellent speed and quickness off the ball, and is able to make penetration AND block the kick. Also check out Terrence Cody jumps over Ryan Mallet. Now I'm not too sure about you, but I haven't seen too many 300+ pound guys being able to jump 1 1/2 to 2 feet off the ground and over a human body. That just shows athletic ability and agility to me. It has also been reported by several sources that the big man can dunk a basketball, although I have had trouble locating the video. There is also video of him in practice on youtube and he seems to have decent footwork for a guy that big. Currently he is down to around 365lbs, I can only imagine what he would be like if he gets down to the 340-350 range.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Suh if available. No question whatsoever. This offense needs help sure, but if the Rams can't stop the Cardinals running game.....then they need a DT to stuff the middle.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Ok based off of Spags past a Ryan and Suh combo would be 6'3 324 Ryan and 6'4 304 suh nearly identical infact four pound bigger. Suh is a dominant talent go out and watch him play watch the final 5 minutes of the Kansas State game he just played. There hasn't been a defensive guy yet alone a defensive lineman able to take control of a game like that. He went a sequence first through 4th down with a batted down pass, sack, QB pressure, batted down pass.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

No sir I do not. There are some excellent clips on youtube. Look up Terrence Cody blocks kick, he shows excellent speed and quickness off the ball, and is able to make penetration AND block the kick. Also check out Terrence Cody jumps over Ryan Mallet. Now I'm not too sure about you, but I haven't seen too many 300+ pound guys being able to jump 1 1/2 to 2 feet off the ground and over a human body. That just shows athletic ability and agility to me. It has also been reported by several sources that the big man can dunk a basketball, although I have had trouble locating the video. There is also video of him in practice on youtube and he seems to have decent footwork for a guy that big. Currently he is down to around 365lbs, I can only imagine what he would be like if he gets down to the 340-350 range.
    Look if we were running a 3-4 and needed a fat a##ed nose tackle well, then, Mount Cody would be a consideration. But we run the 4-3 and we need quick, mobile and fast D Tackles who can get penetration against the run and pressure against the pass.

Cody has all the ear marks of being a two-down kind of player-much like the aforementioned Gilbert Brown was. From everything I've read (See Scott Wright's articles) Suh is the real deal and may be the closest thing to a Warren Sapp that we've seen in a good while. Folks we keep losing because we lack play makers on both sides of the ball. Suh looks like a guy who can make game-changing plays instead of just clogging the middle of the field.

Let's get him.

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Look if we were running a 3-4 and needed a fat a##ed nose tackle well, then, Mount Cody would be a consideration. But we run the 4-3 and we need quick, mobile and fast D Tackles who can get penetration against the run and pressure against the pass.
    The Minnesota Vikings beg to differ. They have 2 fat a##ed defensive tackles, and have arguably the best defensive line in the entire national football league. Chris Long starts to come around, and we could have our own version of that line.

Not saying that Suh wouldn't be a game changer or that he isn't a good draft choice, just saying don't rule out Cody because of his size. With Spags in control, I trust his decision in who ever we draft for the defensive side of the ball.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast