Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: simple poll question-are you supportive of drafting a punter in round 6 or round 7

general counsel is offline Registered User

simple poll question-are you supportive of drafting a punter in round 6 or round 7

I dont know how to post a poll, but i ask the group a simple three part question. Maybe one of our technology guru's can turn it into an actual poll so we can tally results.

Are you supportive of drafting a punter in round 6? Yes or No.

Are you supportive of drafting a punter in round 7? Yes or No.

Should we avoid a punter completely in the draft and deal with it via free agency? Yes or No.

I dont think the purpose of this question is to single out individual punters with our own personal preferences. I think we should assume for purposes of the poll that the punter that would be selected in either of those rounds would be a guy that Fisher et al like, rather than what we think we like. Thus, some of this voting depends on how much blind support people have for Fisher, at least while we are in the honeymoon period and he is undefeated.

My vote, I am supportive of a punter in either round 6 or round 7 if Fisher thinks that player is the best positioned to help us compared to the other options available at that point in the draft. I think we need a punter (obviously) and i think Fisher, not me (or anyone else on this board) is in the best position to compare whatever punter he likes vs. punters he guesses might be available in free agency (which of course you never know until the draft ends), vs. the relative upside of the other players at other positions available at that point in the draft. Is there a better punter available then whatever linebacker (as an example) is available at that point? I defer to Fisher on that. Thus, i guess you can count me closest to the blind faith in Fisher at this point category, but i admit that i am not one of the draft experts on this board. I do know that if we get a productive punter in round 6 or 7, he is going to be a bargain cap wise and i am supportive of that. A lousy punter really hurts you on special teams (see the reggie hodges movie if you have the stomach for it).

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Last edited by general counsel; -04-24-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: simple poll question-are you supportive of drafting a punter in round 6 or round

I'm in the blind faith mode and have no issues taking a punter in either round 6 or 7. I think we have a better chance to hit on players through undrafted free agents then a six or 7th pick. Bringing in a group of prospects that did not get drafted is a good resource to find late talent. I guess that's why taking a punter late is not a wasted pick IMO if he has a big leg.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Re: simple poll question-are you supportive of drafting a punter in round 6 or round

NO!

Don't waste a pick. Use it for a NT, WR, OLB or Backup QB.

The NFL changed the 80 man roster rule to 90 man. That is alot of undrafted free agents available. The Rams can pick up a punter there or a Vet.
    BarronWade likes this.

richtree is online now Registered User

Nah........

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Hopefully a punter won't be nearly as important as Donnie Jones was for us over the last 5 years.

I would only draft a punter in rounds 6 or 7 if he was clearly the best option on the board, which is doubtful in most cases. Or we had multiple picks in those rounds.

However, I tend to think free agency and/or undrafted rookies, are probably the best way to go in our situation.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

No and no, go the free agency route.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

If the Rams think that the top 3-4 punters are all about equal, I might just wait and sign one as a undrafted FA. If, on the other hand, the Rams think there are 1 or 2 who could be elite punters, I'd certainly invest a 7th round pick on one (6th round, probably not, though I would not be that upset if they did).

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

If the right one is there, then yes, of course.

He's going to be instrumental on 5 or 6 snaps per game. That's about 5 or 6 snaps more than most other 6th or 7th rounders.
    berg8309 likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    If the right one is there, then yes, of course.

He's going to be instrumental on 5 or 6 snaps per game. That's about 5 or 6 snaps more than most other 6th or 7th rounders.
    Hadn't thought about it that way, but it's generally right. Special teams will kill you if they aren't good, and it starts with a long punt that hangs long enough for the guys to get downfield. Good punters can do a lot.

poejoe8 is offline Registered User

No, I wouldn't draft a punter at any round, unless this guy showed incredible ability to keep teams deep in their own territory...consistently. He would have to be and look 'Ray Guyish' for me to even consider him higher than the 7th round

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Shane Lechler (5th round)
    Thomas Morstead (5th round)
    Andy Lee (6th round)
    Brandon Fields (7th round)
    Donnie Jones (7th round)
    Zoltan Mesko (5th round)
    Mike Scifres (5th round)

These 7 punters are all in the top 10 for yards/punt, and all were drafted.

If you want an effective punter, you're going to have to draft him.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

Why do people think that we are going to get an impact player at a position other than punter in round 6 and 7? Do we (or any other team for that matter) have any history of developing players that are consistent and exceptional at that point in the draft? Sure, it happens from time to time, but its not common in any event. I dont see why the standard for a punter is different than the standard for any other position. If there is a punter that fisher thinks is better than the best available guy at another position, balancing as well the rams need for a punter, why should we rely on free agency.
    I think that a number of people on this board are wildly optimistic about the chances of a very late round pick turning into a contributing player compared with the chances of a punter filling a role at a cap friendly price. I dont see why many people underestimate the value of a quality punter. Do people really think that its easier to predict whether a linebacker will contribute in the late rounds than a punter? Keep in mind that there will be plenty of free agent position players available as well.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    HUbison likes this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I remember when the Rams drafted Chris Massey and people flipped out that they wasted a draft pick on him. Turned out pretty good IMO. I remember a guy having an epic melt that they would draft a center who wasn't even rated!

A 5th-7th rounder on a guy who could be with the team for the next 7 years at a bargain price, fine with me.

shower beers is offline Registered User

The punt is one of the most important plays in football. If he's there, take him I say. I base this on our recent history of late-round picks though.

thoey is offline Registered User

Rounds 6 and 7 are crap shoots. BPA, it that's a punter, get one...
    This space for rent...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast