View Poll Results: Do you want the Rams to sign Michael Vick this offseason?

Voters
196. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

96 48.98%
  • No

100 51.02%
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Simple Poll to see where Clanram stands on #7

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    So why not Vick?
    Why not Chad Pennington?

Why not Brodie Croyle?

Why not Kellen Clemmens?

Why not Tavares Jackson?

Why not Jason Campbell?

Why not Kyle Orton?

(all of those guys will be free agents at the end of the year)

3STL9 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Why not Chad Pennington?

Why not Brodie Croyle?

Why not Kellen Clemmens?

Why not Tavares Jackson?

Why not Jason Campbell?

Why not Kyle Orton?

No hes washed up by now, but could work out as stopgap or gapstop whatever you guys call that.. haha

No too skinny fragile dont think he will ever be a qb

Maybe

Rather him than Vick

Rather him than Vick

Rather him than Vick...

and answer to the poll question. I would not care if we get him or not get him. I would not mind giving him a chance, I mean look at our team....All I know is if we get vick, I am getting a number 7 rams jersey

dave626 is offline Registered User
    Blog Entries

Cogs was NOT thrown under the bus, his dumb@#$ jumped infront of it with his play, Vick or anyone else can come in here and get a shot but I hope we draft our strength get Suh then a OLB, FA the rest and be the old Ravens of 2000.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Why not Chad Pennington?

Why not Brodie Croyle?

Why not Kellen Clemmens?

Why not Tavares Jackson?

Why not Jason Campbell?

Why not Kyle Orton?

OK...fine with me.

A-Web is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by clarasDK View Post
    I voted no. Even when Vick was in his prime he could not lead the Falcons to back to back winning seasons.

Yes he can move around and throw a deep ball. But overall he is not a very good QB in my book. And the Rams do not need a quick fix next year to get into the playoffs we are more than a QB away from that, we are in the middle of a long term rebuilding process.

I find this kind of a funny comment. I am not going to start an argument, but I have heard this from numerous people on this site and elsewhere.

1st of all, Steven Jackson cannot lead this team to a SINGLE winning season right now. Not getting back to back winning seasons? I'll still take that.

Secondly, he has always been a good quarterback. And an intelligent one. He understands the purpose and utility of his tight ends in the passing game, and can read a field very well. He is a quarterback who understands when a pass cannot be made, make one yourself (with your legs). He was one of the least sacked quarterbacks in the league during his time (can we ever stay out of the top 3 in most sacks allowed), and it wasn't because of his O-line. It was because he could either beat the rush and gain yards, or he understood his situation and could make a pass or throw it away before being hit.

A-Web is offline Registered User

As to my position on this, I have not changed my tune since before the season. I support the signing of Michael Vick if the contract does not over-obligate us financially. I do not anticipate him to come into the Rams organization and become the quarterback we need to become competitive in the future, but to be competitive tomorrow (metaphorically speaking), he could absolutely be a solution.

Could he come in and make the Rams competitive? Yes, as could any quarterback with natural ability and determination to improve and learn.

Does he still have it? Yes, he still has a nack for understanding the field, and not making mistakes.

MVick- 13 passing attempts this season (86 yards, 1 TD, 6.7 avg/pass, 0 INT, 93.7 passer rating).
    MBulger- 247 passing attmpts this season (1469 yds, 5 TD, 7.2 avg/pass, 6 INT, 70.7).
    KBoller- 164 passing attmpts this season (876 yards, 3 TD, 5.3 avg/pass, 6 INT, 63 passer rating).

MVick- 22 rushing attempts this season (93 yards, 2 TD, 7.2 avg/carry, 0 Fumbles,).
    MBulger- 8 rushing attempts this season (22 yards, 0 TD, 2.8 avg/carry, 2 Fumbles - recovered both, passer rating - ).
    KBoller- 12 rushing attempts this season (63 yards, 0 TD, 5.3 avg/carry, 1 Fumble lost, passer rating - ).

All this is beside the fact that Vick has not received many snaps with the first team offense in practice, has very few reps in actual game situation, and is STILL better in limited action than anything we have. Would he be an improvement on what we have? Yes. Should we sign him if it is within a FAIR financial agreement? Absolutely.

None of this even mentions that Michael Vick is one of the most successful redzone quarterbacks of all time. One of the main reasons Philadelphia gave him a chance. McNabb on the other hand, is on the other end of that spectrum, and has almost always had trouble managing a drive inside the 20. His top receiver DeSean Jackson has 8 touchdowns (7 receiving, 1 rushing) this season. ZERO of those touchdowns came within the redzone, and none was shorter than 35 yards.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 3STL9 View Post
    and answer to the poll question. I would not care if we get him or not get him. I would not mind giving him a chance, I mean look at our team....All I know is if we get vick, I am getting a number 7 rams jersey
    well i think you and THOLTFAN81 will be disappointed to discover that number 7 has been a Rams retired number for decades...so Vick in a 7 jersey Rams Uni just aint gonna happen..that was given to a true QB named Bob Waterfield.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Why not Chad Pennington?

Why not Brodie Croyle?

Why not Kellen Clemmens?

Why not Tavares Jackson?

Why not Jason Campbell?

Why not Kyle Orton?

Not one of those guys has led their team to the NFC Championship.

Penningtion, Croyle, Clemens, and Orton would be sitting ducks behind this offensive line. And other than Orton none has a solid history of winning.

Jackson is Vick with less speed and less arm strength, and he might actually cost more to sign.

Jason Campbell was overrated coming out of college based on his senior year with what may have been one of the better college backfields of all time.

Actually every guy you mentioned with the exception of maybe Brodie Croyle (Who I'm a fan of, but I think he literally might get killed if he played more than two snaps behind our line) will probably be more expensive to sign then Vick.

Vick is not the end all at QB, but he is a stop gap until a younger QB is ready. And I dont think anyone is saying that Vick will be the answer, that his signing would mean that we dont need to draft a young QB. Yes you need to draft someone to develop, and yes he needs to sit while we build the talent around him.

Well Vick already worked wonders with a team that was not as good as he made it look in Atlanta. And for all the jokes about Vick as a RB, he would not be a bad change of pace for Jackson. To pound the ball with Jackson and then let Vick get outside to the perimeter, that could be a nightmare for defenses.

In his prime Vick was a game changer. You're still in a position where you can get a guy that may be able to still be a game changer, for a relatively cheap price. It's worth the shot. You bring the guy in, you let him compete. Nothing wrong with competition.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

TheRammer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by A-Web View Post
    As to my position on this, I have not changed my tune since before the season. I support the signing of Michael Vick if the contract does not over-obligate us financially. I do not anticipate him to come into the Rams organization and become the quarterback we need to become competitive in the future, but to be competitive tomorrow (metaphorically speaking), he could absolutely be a solution.

Could he come in and make the Rams competitive? Yes, as could any quarterback with natural ability and determination to improve and learn.

Does he still have it? Yes, he still has a nack for understanding the field, and not making mistakes.

MVick- 13 passing attempts this season (86 yards, 1 TD, 6.7 avg/pass, 0 INT, 93.7 passer rating).
    MBulger- 247 passing attmpts this season (1469 yds, 5 TD, 7.2 avg/pass, 6 INT, 70.7).
    KBoller- 164 passing attmpts this season (876 yards, 3 TD, 5.3 avg/pass, 6 INT, 63 passer rating).

MVick- 22 rushing attempts this season (93 yards, 2 TD, 7.2 avg/carry, 0 Fumbles,).
    MBulger- 8 rushing attempts this season (22 yards, 0 TD, 2.8 avg/carry, 2 Fumbles - recovered both, passer rating - ).
    KBoller- 12 rushing attempts this season (63 yards, 0 TD, 5.3 avg/carry, 1 Fumble lost, passer rating - ).

All this is beside the fact that Vick has not received many snaps with the first team offense in practice, has very few reps in actual game situation, and is STILL better in limited action than anything we have. Would he be an improvement on what we have? Yes. Should we sign him if it is within a FAIR financial agreement? Absolutely.

None of this even mentions that Michael Vick is one of the most successful redzone quarterbacks of all time. One of the main reasons Philadelphia gave him a chance. McNabb on the other hand, is on the other end of that spectrum, and has almost always had trouble managing a drive inside the 20. His top receiver DeSean Jackson has 8 touchdowns (7 receiving, 1 rushing) this season. ZERO of those touchdowns came within the redzone, and none was shorter than 35 yards.
    Wow best info and best points in this subject... I voted yes for these reasons

TheRammer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    well i think you and THOLTFAN81 will be disappointed to discover that number 7 has been a Rams retired number for decades...so Vick in a 7 jersey Rams Uni just aint gonna happen..that was given to a true QB named Bob Waterfield.
    And if he does come to the Rams we should not unretire it whatsoever! I think Dion's jersey was unretired for pacman wasnt it? We should keep to our traditions...

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Look, we aren't going to be good next year either. We may be better, but that's not saying much. It looks like the Rams are going to draft a QB in either Round 1 or 2 but the QBs coming out in the draft are not going to be ready. There are no Sanchezs or Staffords in this draft. So why not? Bulger is too expensive for what he delivers. Boller can't cut it. Null isn't ready. Won't be ready next year either. So why not Vick? He could be the one year stop gap we need.
    Tx, I agree,he would not be the QB of the future but maybe he could help them win a few games, this organization really needs to start winning,maybe not alot but a few games at least,6 wins in 3 seasons is just not cutting it.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheRammer View Post
    Wow best info and best points in this subject... I voted yes for these reasons
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Web View Post

While your effort is noted, I cannot begin to tell you how meaningless this analysis is. Vick has 13 freakin' pass attempts, some in garbage time. It means NOTHING ....

Darn that McNabb for throwing 7 TD's to Jackson from 50 yards plus!

McNabb is a highly successful NFL QB. Bringing in Vick had NOTHING to do with McNabb's performance.
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -12-17-2009 at 04:51 PM.

TheRammer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post

Darn that McNabb for throwing 7 TD's to Jackson from 50 yards plus!

lol Yes this is a bad thing, someone needs to send a memo to the other teams in this league that if We can't do it they can't do it!
    Last edited by TheRammer; -12-17-2009 at 06:58 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

MVick- 22 rushing attempts this season (93 yards, 2 TD, 7.2 avg/carry
    Recheck your math. That's 4.2 not 7.2...........which is less than Jackson's 4.5; so if we want to put the ball in the hands of a guy who can run but can't throw, why not just direct snap to Jackson everytime?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheRammer View Post
    And if he does come to the Rams we should not unretire it whatsoever! I think Dion's jersey was unretired for pacman wasnt it? We should keep to our traditions...
    Especially since Vick isn't worthy enough to hold Waterfield's jock.

----------------------------------------------

Michael Vick, in his best year as a passer (at least with a large enough statistical sample; this year doesn't count) is a worse passer than Bulger. The last thing we should do is downgrade at the passer position if we want to mentor a rookie.