Chiledog is offline Registered User

SI's Banks on Pivotal Picks (by Rams)

Sports Illustrated, April 25, 2006
    Tony Banks

The one key draft decision that shaped each NFL team

NFL talent evaluators may spend millions of dollars and months of work poring over the available prospects, but that doesn't mean the draft will ever rise to the level of science. Now that the league's annual personnel crapshoot is again upon us, let's review one recent key draft decision for each of the NFL's 32 clubs, a pivotal move that for better or worse helped shape the teams they are today:

ST. LOUIS RAMS
    Jimmy Kennedy, DT, Penn State, first round, 2003
    It's hard to imagine the Rams' defense showing any sustained improvement until they stop taking underproductive defensive linemen in the first round. Kennedy, who went 12th in 2003, has followed in the tradition of defensive tackle Damione Lewis (12th in 2001) and Ryan Pickett (29th in 2001). Second-round defensive end Tony Hargrove (2004) has been a nice find, but the Rams once again need draft help at the front of their defense, and that can't be an every-year occurrence.

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie', until you can find a rock." Will Rogers

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: SI's Banks on Pivotal Picks (by Rams)

I'm so tired of writers lumping Lewis, Pickett and Kennedy into one single category. Let's review:

Lewis - A bust, though early injuries didn't help.

Pickett - Not an instant star, but good enough to be a sought-after free agent this year.

Kennedy - Has demonstrated flashes of very good play, but has failed to show the ability to maintain high performance. The jury's still out.

Three individuals.

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chiledog
    Second-round defensive end Tony Hargrove (2004)[/I]
    third round get the facts strait

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Article gets immediately ignored because Hargrove was taken in the third. Obviously dont know what they are talking about.

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I'm so tired of writers lumping Lewis, Pickett and Kennedy into one single category. Let's review:

Lewis - A bust, though early injuries didn't help.

Pickett - Not an instant star, but good enough to be a sought-after free agent this year.

Kennedy - Has demonstrated flashes of very good play, but has failed to show the ability to maintain high performance. The jury's still out.

Three individuals.
    I hate to say this AR, but I think you're making Banks' point for him. These are all 1st round picks, and have yet to make much of an impact for the Rams. So far, Pickett and Kennedy have not shown any type of consistency that would make any of us all that comfortable. I think Banks' point about continuing to have a need on the D-line after all these 1st round picks is well made. We all know that the draft can be a crapshoot. But to miss the mark this often is a bit much. Let's hope this year is a bumper year for the Rams' draft.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

general counsel is offline Registered User

I fail to see how anyone can criticize the pickett selection. He was picked #29. He was not a top pick (12, 13) like lewis and kennedy. He was taken after his junior year and it was stated at the time he would need time to develop. Last year, as he was entering his prime, HE LED THE NFL IN TACKLES AT HIS POSITION. I dont call that underperforming, i dont call that a bust, i call that a success. Time will tell if he continues to play at an elite level and whether we should have paid the money to keep him, but lumping him in with the other two makes no sense.

I also agree that you cant compare lewis and kennedy yet since the jury is still out on kennedy. This is the make or break year in my view for kennedy. He has every opportunity to succeed and we will see if he steps up.

I will also point out that defensive tackles are all notorious for taking time to develop and that you cant discount the injuries that both lewis and kennedy suffered, which clearly impeded their development.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

The bad thing about the Lewis pick was that Marcus Stroud was taken right after him

And Kris Jenkins went in the second round aswell

ramstiles is offline Registered User

do you thinl kollar had input into those picks ?

Quote Originally Posted by ramstiles
    do you thinl kollar had input into those picks ?
    Maybe. Im a bit worried because although Haslett had some good showings when drafting DEs (Charles Grant, Will Smith), he did miss pretty big with Jonathan Sullivan. Although it might be too early to call him a bust, he was drafted very high up, and the Saints moved up to get him.

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    I fail to see how anyone can criticize the pickett selection. He was picked #29. He was not a top pick (12, 13) like lewis and kennedy. He was taken after his junior year and it was stated at the time he would need time to develop. Last year, as he was entering his prime, HE LED THE NFL IN TACKLES AT HIS POSITION. I dont call that underperforming, i dont call that a bust, i call that a success. Time will tell if he continues to play at an elite level and whether we should have paid the money to keep him, but lumping him in with the other two makes no sense.

I also agree that you cant compare lewis and kennedy yet since the jury is still out on kennedy. This is the make or break year in my view for kennedy. He has every opportunity to succeed and we will see if he steps up.

I will also point out that defensive tackles are all notorious for taking time to develop and that you cant discount the injuries that both lewis and kennedy suffered, which clearly impeded their development.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I agree that it takes time to develop linemen. However, even at #29, Pickett was a 1st round choice. Thus the increased expectations. I also agree that last year he played well. But one season does not show consistent play. I'm not saying that I don't like Pickett. I'm just reserving my enthusiasm until this season. I can't tell you how much I hope he continues to improve. This year really WILL show how well we've drafted on the line.

The problem with continuing to pick D-line players is precisely that they DO take so long to develop. By the time they begin to play with any type of consistency, they're free agents: we do all the work, other teams reap the benefits, and we're drafting another lineman. It's a vicious cycle to get caught in.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!