smizzhfx is offline Registered User

smizzhfx' end-of-season 1st round mock draft

It's never too early to start looking toward April so here's another shot at the science known as the mock draft.

1. Detroit Lions: Matthew Stafford*, QB, Georgia
    The Lions need a new face for their historically awful franchise so they'll try Atlanta's formula here to turn the team around.

2. St. Louis Rams: Andre Smith*, OT, Alabama
    The Rams aging and injury prone offensive line has been it's downfall for a while now. They get a franchise LT to replace future hall-of-famer Pace.

3. Kansas City Chiefs: Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
    The Chiefs had 10 sacks in 16 games in '08. They're clearly missing Jared Allen so they get the top pass-rusher in the class here. No doubt Orakpo will put up massive combine numbers.

4. Seattle Seahawks: Michael Crabtree*, WR, Texas Tech
    The Seahawks wide reciever corps needs some youth and talent and Crabtree will give Hasselbeck a solid target.

5. Cleveland Browns: Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest
    The Browns defense has been awful and the Browns get an elite LB here. A RB like Wells is also a huge possibility after the Browns have succesfully managed to go 5 straight games without an offensive TD.

6. Cincinnati Bengals: Chris "Beanie" Wells, RB, Ohio St.
    When Cedric Benson is your leading rusher you need an upgrade at the RB position. With Carson Palmer back next season the Bengals will look to get their high-powered offense back on track.

7. Oakland Raiders: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
    The Raiders need help along their awful OL and they won't hesitate to take a top-ranked tackle when he falls to them here.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars: Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
    The Jags OL has been banged up all year and they really have no depth to speak of. Getting a guy like Oher here will give them a variety of options and depth and be a step toward regaining their '07 form.

9. Green Bay Packers: Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
    After releasing Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila before the beginning of the season, the Packers pass-rush has suffered. Aaron Kampman has been solid but he's not going to get it done by himself.

10. San Francisco 49'ers: Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio St.
    The Niners get a top CB prospect here to pair up with Nate Clements. OL is also a possibility here as their OL can't seem to block anybody.

11. Buffalo Bills: Everette Brown*, DE, Florida St.
    Buffalo's pass rush has been one of the reasons their team has flopped so bad in the 2nd half of the season so they get a real pass rusher here to team up with Chris Kelsay.

12. Denver Broncos: Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC
    Denver's run D has been horrible and drafting a MLB here will allow them to move D.J. Williams back to the strong side.

13. Washington Redskins: George Selvie*, DE, South Florida
    The 'Skins also need an improved pass-rush as Jason Taylor hasn't really panned out as he was supposed to so they'll get help off the edge here.

14. New Orleans Saints: James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio St.
    It looks like the Saints will let Jonathon Vilma test free agency again and they will need to pick up a suitable replacement to man the middle. Vontae Davis could garner some consideration here as the Saints desperately need an upgrade at corner as well.

15. Houston Texans: Taylor Mays*, S, USC
    The Texans need players all over the defense but they start with a solid young safety, a position they should have upgraded a while ago.

16. San Diego Chargers: B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
    Jamal Williams might be nearing the end of his career and it looks like Luis Castillo and Igor Olshansky might be elsewhere in 2009 so depth is needed all along the DL.

17. New York Jets: Tyson Jackson, DE/OLB, LSU
    Jackson fits the Jets 3-4 scheme perfectly and will be a solid edge rusher standing up on the outside. Though they drafted Vernon Gholston last year, he has looked like somewhat of a bust.

18. Chicago Bears: Greg Hardy*, DE, Ole Miss
    The Bears pass-rush, typically a strength of their team, has suffered this season so they choose to upgrade and improve depth here. A wideout like Maclin is a possiblility but the defensive-minded Lovie Smith gets Hardy the nod.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Jeremy Maclin*, WR, Missouri
    Antonio Bryant has been solid down the stretch for the Bucs but Joey Galloway looks like he's running out of gas. TB gets a speedy young reciever for whoever is behind center in '09.

20. Detroit Lions (f/ DAL): Ciron Black*, OT, LSU
    They drafted their franchise QB, now you protect him. Detroit could also go pass-rusher if a nice prospect is on the board with their second first-round pick.

21. Arizona Cardinals: Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
    Edgerrin James has definitely slowed down and Tim Hightower doesn't really look like a true #1 RB in the NFL. The Cards complete their powerhouse offense and get great value for Moreno.

22. Philadelphia Eagles: William Moore, S, Missouri
    The Eagles get a eventual replacement for when Brian Dawkins decides to hang them up. OT is a possibility here with their aging OL, if there is still a tackle on the board that warrants the pick.

23. Minnesota Vikings: Alex Mack, C, California
    Drafting arguably the best center prospect in a while makes a lot more financial sense than spending big money to keep free-agent Matt Birk in Minny.

24. New England Patriots: Vontae Davis*, CB, Illinois
    The Pats secondary is pretty awful and after bringing in a bunch of nobodies and has-beens to help fill the gaping hole left by Asante Samuel, they get a true number one corner here.

25. Atlanta Falcons: Terrence Cody*, DT, Alabama
    The Falcons need a real nose tackle so they go Cody here if he decides to declare.

26. Miami Dolphins: Brian Cushing, OLB, USC
    Will fit nicely at OLB in Parcell/Sporano's 3-4 defense. Another in a line of solid Trojan linebackers in the last couple of years.

27. Baltimore Ravens: Darrius Heyward-Bey*, WR, Maryland
    Gives rookie signal-caller Joe Flacco somebody to develop with. Mark Clayton has shown flashes but Derrick Mason is 34 years old and an upgrade at WR should be a priority in Baltimore.

28. Indianapolis Colts: Peria Jerry*, DT, Ole Miss
    The Colts run defense has been horrible this year and they really should be picking up 2 new starting DTs this off-season.

29. Philadelphia Eagles (f/ CAR): Jermaine Gresham*, TE, Oklahoma
    L.J. Smith has been battling injury for a little while now and it looks like he'll be a free-agent this offseason. A young TE will give Kevin Kolb a target to develop with if McNabb skips town.

30. Pittsburgh Steelers: Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma
    The Steeler's OL has really struggled this season, and a lot of that has to do with Alan Faneca's departure. They get a replacement for him here in the form of a highly touted guard prospect from Oklahoma.

31. New York Giants: Kenny Britt*, WR, Rutgers
    With Plaxico Burress' future up in the air, and Steve Smith looking more like a slot-type guy, Eli will need a new possession-type reciever. The 6-4", 205 lb Britt will give him a nice big target.

32. Tennessee Titans: D.J. Moore*, CB, Vanderbilt
    Nick Harper will be 34 next year and on the final year of his contract. Moore can come in and play in the nickel until he can take over for the former Colt and team up with Cortland Finnegan.

* Denotes underclassman.

keith m. klink Guest

Re: smizzhfx' end-of-season 1st round mock draft

i'll take CRABTREE.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Good mock, smizz. Just some general thoughts...

-Everette Brown a little high?

-Good pick for the Chiefs, I think that or OT is the right direction.

-Good for New Orleans but I'm not sure Laurnitis or Maualauga slip that low after the combine. I'd look toward the secondary if that's the case.

-Vikings pick is good, maybe a little high at this point in time. Although, Mack did dominate in his bowl game the other day. Did you see that touchdown run? First time I've seen a collegiate blocker cut back in order to block with such proficiency. I'd love to see him in Horns.

-I still have nightmares about Duke Robinson getting blown up in Oklahoma's bowl game last season. Is he a first round pick?

-Lions fans, I think, would love that draft.

-I'm not sure if Tight End is Philly's most pressing need.

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    i'll take CRABTREE.
    The Klink is back!

Once again we disagree, but it's welcomed.

I think there's more merit in OT at this stage, although the selection of Smith is admittedly iffy due to his recent troubles.

keith m. klink Guest

BIG hey too ya BIG-Q , so sorry i havn't been around for a while , i couldn't find my way back through to get registered and stuff. ( the MAD COW ya know ) .

But i look at it this way. devaney WANTS A BIG PHYSICAL receiver, and yes some OL help also , but to line CRABTREE up with HOLT , AVERY , BURTON , STANLEY and most likely LOOKER , that is just nuts . and in 1 year or maybe less , HOLT is gone and we all know it. that would leave the top 3 AVERY - BURTON - CRABTREE , easy as 1-2-3 , as easy as doe rae me , A-B-C , 1-2-3 BABY YOU AND ME GIRL....

don't get me wrong.. crabtree would be nice.. but bulger wouldn't have any time to throw him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    -Everette Brown a little high?

-Good pick for the Chiefs, I think that or OT is the right direction.

-Good for New Orleans but I'm not sure Laurnitis or Maualauga slip that low after the combine. I'd look toward the secondary if that's the case.

-Vikings pick is good, maybe a little high at this point in time. Although, Mack did dominate in his bowl game the other day. Did you see that touchdown run? First time I've seen a collegiate blocker cut back in order to block with such proficiency. I'd love to see him in Horns.

-I still have nightmares about Duke Robinson getting blown up in Oklahoma's bowl game last season. Is he a first round pick?

-Lions fans, I think, would love that draft.

-I'm not sure if Tight End is Philly's most pressing need.
    I think you're right about Laurainitis & Maualuga.. they will probably be top-10 picks by the end of the day..

You may be right about Mack.. i HOPE you're right. if Mack were to slip to the top of the 2nd round i think it would be a massive mistake not to take him there... we already passed on Ryan Kalil and look what he's been able to do for the Panthers.

As far as Duke Robinson.. he might not have 1st round pick value but i think his combination of size and athleticism will cause teams to take a chance on him late in the 1st.. Pittsburgh will probably go OL in the 1st as it's definitely been their biggest weakness this season... will probably be a case of BOLPA.

As far as tight end not being the Eagle's biggest need.. i agree with you, but they're getting a top safety in William Moore and it doesn't look like L.J. Smith will be in Philly next season. if Kevin Kolb is the starter next season he's going to need a TE that he can get the ball to and develop rapport with..