smizzhfx is offline Registered User

smizz's post combine 1st rd. mock

1. Detroit Lions: Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
    Despite only measuring less than 6’3” at the combine, it shouldn’t affect his stock here. The Lions need a QB and they get their franchise signal-caller here.

2. St. Louis Rams: Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
    A consensus top prospect in 2009, the Rams can’t afford to pass on talent like this. Curry can come in and play any linebacker position in coach Spagnuolo’s defense. An OT along the lines of Eben Britton, William Beatty or Jamon Meredith can be taken at the top of the 2nd round or the Rams could look to move back into the 1st.

3. Kansas City Chiefs: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
    New head coach Todd Haley will create a new Fitzgerald-Boldin combo with Crabtree and former 1st rounder WR Dwayne Bowe. The Chiefs won’t be able to pass up on Crabtree with Curry off the board.

4. Seattle Seahawks: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
    Good things the Seahawks picked up WR T.J. Housmandzadeh in free agency because they narrowly missed out on Crabtree. Smith, the #1 OT in a strong class will be a successor to the aging LT Walter Jones.

5. Cleveland Browns: Brian Orakpo, DE/LB, Texas
    Orakpo will come in and play OLB in new head coach Mangini’s defense. He will create a strong young duo with LB Kamerion Wimbley.

6. Cincinnati Bengals: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
    The Bengals need help along the offensive line and a talent like Monroe would be too good to pass up. Crabtree would be enticing if he fell to them here especially with the departure of WR T.J. Housh.

7. Oakland Raiders: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
    Head coach Al Davis will fall in love Maclin’s physical attributes and speed no matter how badly the Raiders need an offensive tackle or an upgrade to their poor pass rush.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars: Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
    OT is the number one need for the Jags as QB David Garrard’s play slipped considerably in 2008 when their line couldn’t protect him. A WR like Maclin or Crabtree if they were available would be another option, or a corner like Jenkins since CB Drayton Florence was a huge FA bust and has since been released.

9. Green Bay Packers: B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
    The Packers will get a true nose tackle for their newly-installed 3-4 defense. Raji was a beast at the Senior Bowl and coaches noticed.

10. San Francisco 49’ers: Micahel Oher, OT, Ole Miss
    Taking Oher here will allow the 49’ers to move OT Joe Staley to RT. The Niners OL was terrible last year and is desperately in need of an upgrade. Oher is a top 10 talent and should not fall too far.

11. Buffalo Bills: Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
    The Bills biggest need is undoubtedly their pass rush. With the exception of DE Aaron Schobel it was non-existent.

12. Denver Broncos: Brian Cushing, LB, USC
    Cushing will play outside linebacker in the Bronco’s 3-4 scheme. The Broncos need help all along the defensive line and a DT like Raji would be ideal here.

13. Washington Redskins: Everette Brown, LB, Florida State
    The best pure pass rusher in the draft, Brown will immediately replace DE/OLB Jason Taylor and will benefit from the acquisition of hundred-million-dollar man DT Albert Haynesworth.

14. New Orleans Saints: Malcolm Jenkins, CB/FS, Ohio State
    A dream come true for the Saints, after missing out on free agent CB Ron Bartell. The Saints have been in desperate need of upgrades on their secondary and Jenkins has the potential to play FS.

15. Houston Texans: Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
    Houston’s biggest need is a safety but there’s no one that warrants the pick here. Moreno could be the thunder to RB Steve Slaton’s lightning creating a tandem on the level of RBs Jonathon Stewart and Deangelo Williams.

16. San Diego Chargers: Rey Maualuga, LB, USC
    The USC standout will hold down the middle next to LB Shawne Merriman for the Bolts next season. The Chargers could opt to go running back here but after placing the franchise tag on RB Darren Sproles and with RB LT still under contract, defense seems like the pick here. The unit struggled in comparison to past seasons.

17. New York Jets: Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
    Jackson will be a perfect fit as end in the Jets scheme. If neither MLBs Bart Scott nor Ray Lewis are acquired to play MLB, the Jets will have to give James Lauraintis a good look.

18. Chicago Bears: Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn St.
    The Bears need an upgrade to their pass rush but they also need a play-making wideout along the lines of Percy Harvin or Darrius Heyward-Bey. They opt for the former here.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
    With QB Jeff Garcia a free agent, the Bucs biggest need is quarterback. After making a giant splash in free agency by trading for TE Kellen Winslow and signing RB Derrick Ward as well as re-signing star WR Antonio Bryant, the Bucs will look to round out their offense.

20. Detroit Lions (f/DAL): Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
    The Lions have no starting CBs to speak of and need help all over their defense. Davis will give them a reliable CB on the outside. OL will still have to be addressed later in the draft as a 32 year-old Jeff Backus has not looked the part at OT, and could be moved inside to G.

21. Philadelphia Eagles: Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma St.
    TE L.J. Smith is a free agent and will probably not be resigned. The Eagles also need help along their aging OL but won’t pass up on Pettigrew’s talent here.

22. Minnesota Vikings: Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas St.
    QB Tavaris Jackson has shown he’s not the answer and the Vikings have virtually all the pieces in place except for a QB. WR is also an option here.

23. New England Patriots: James Laurainitis, LB, Ohio State
    The Pats LB corps is aging, with the exception of MLB Jerod Mayo, and Laurainitis will come in and strengthen a unit that just lost OLB Mike Vrabel to the Chiefs.

24. Atlanta Falcons: Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss
    It’s no secret the Falcons wanted Glenn Dorsey last year so they’ll go for a DT here. A TE for QB Matt Ryan to develop with would be key, but it’s doubtful that Pettigrew falls to them here.

25. Miami Dolphins: Clay Matthews, LB, USC
    The Fins need a LB to pair up with OLB Joey Porter and Big Tuna has a history of drafting linebackers for his defensive schemes. Help along the defensive line is also a big need with the release of Vonnie Holiday.

26. Baltimore Ravens: Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
    The Ravens need some young wideouts for QB Joe Flacco to develop with and Harvin is a playmaker all over the field. He’ll be able to return kicks as well as spread the field. MLB could also become a pressing need depending on the future of LBs Ray Lewis and Bart Scott.

27. Indianapolis Colts: Evander Hood, DT, Missouri
    Hood ran a 4.8 forty at 300 lbs at the combine and put up 34 reps on the bench press. Those kind of numbers should put him into 1st round consideration and the Colts desperately need help at DT.

28. Philadelphia Eagles (f/CAR): Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State
    The Eagles will bring in a big back to spell the oft-injured Brian Westbrook. OL still remains a consideration but Wells probably shouldn’t have fallen this far and the Eagles will snatch him up.

29. New York Giants: Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers
    With WR Plaxico Burress’ future uncertain, the G-Men get a big-bodied target for Eli here, a weapon he sorely missed down the stretch and probably one of the big reasons they couldn’t get it done against the Eagles.

30. Tennessee Titans: Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
    The Titans signed free agent WR Nate Washington but they could bring in a guy like Heyward-Bey, who runs a 4.3 forty, to spread the field. DT could also be a priority with the departure of Haynesworth as well as a CB to replace the aging Nick Harper.

31. Arizona Cardinals: Larry English, LB/DE, Northern Illinois
    The Cardinals lost DE Antonio Smith, a key cog along their DL during their playoff push.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers: Max Unger, OL, Oregon
    The Steelers biggest weakness last season was their OL and Unger can play any position along it. CB could also be in the Steelers’ sights pending the future of Bryant McFadden.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: smizz's post combine 1st rd. mock

excellent work, thanks for the post. I will point out that with their signficant needs at offensive tackle and running back, and a tight end that had 11 catches in the nfc title game, i highly doubt that the eagles go tight end in round one.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

BarronWade is offline Registered User

As a Rams fan i would like Jason Smith instead of Aaron Curry but itz your opinion.

However i think 3 players went too high:

Andre Smith definetely drops out of the top ten after a no show at the combine

Robert Ayers will go in the 2nd round

Josh Freeman. You really think the Vikings will get him in the 1st considering that they traded for Matt Shuab?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Yes, very good work. I really have no idea what the Lions will do with their pick, but there's a ton of QB's out on the free market that between them and Culpepper I doubt that they grab Stafford. As much as they need a QB and a face of the franchise, I bet that they grab Jason Smith or Curry.

As for the end of the round, either the teams down there will trade down and someone will trade up to grab OT's, or they themselves may pick up the OT's to fortify their lines. Steelers, Eagles and Ravens I think would all be in the market.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

AHHHH! I don't know what theyre going to do. Atleast you are not saying Andre Smith for us.

It's up between three guys for us.

I have to agree that Stafford is going to Detroit though.

Good mock!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    However i think 3 players went too high:

Andre Smith definetely drops out of the top ten after a no show at the combine

Robert Ayers will go in the 2nd round

Josh Freeman. You really think the Vikings will get him in the 1st considering that they traded for Matt Shuab?
    1. As much as Andre's leaving the combine hurt him publicly, there's still a very long time until the draft and he has all the physical tools. He only needs to show one top 10 team that he's mature enough to be taken. I bet someone takes a chance.

2. I agree... he's a late riser, but with only one season of starts and not a whole lot of sacks, he won't make it to the first stanza.

3. They traded for Sage "Why am I starting?" Rosenfels, not Matt Schaub. He has 12 games started in his career, and only 30 TD's to 29 INT's. He's had some ok games the last two years, however, he's not an esablished starter by any means. Therefore, I would not be surprised in the least if they take Freeman in the 1st and groom him under Rosenfels for a couple years.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    3. They traded for Sage "Why am I starting?" Rosenfels, not Matt Schaub. He has 12 games started in his career, and only 30 TD's to 29 INT's. He's had some ok games the last two years, however, he's not an esablished starter by any means. Therefore, I would not be surprised in the least if they take Freeman in the 1st and groom him under Rosenfels for a couple years.

yea. THats what i meant iwas thinking about the texans starter while talking about the vikings.

Well i still think they can grab him in the 2nd.

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Thanks for the love, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    2. I agree... he's a late riser, but with only one season of starts and not a whole lot of sacks, he won't make it to the first stanza.
    11 is probably a little high for Ayers here, I'll agree. Some people seem to be pretty high however. My guess is he will impress at his pro day and will continue to rise, like into the second half of the 1st round.

richtree is offline Registered User

I doubt Detroit goes QB. But no way will Bears go Defense in round one. This draft is full of offensive players that could help the Bears. So why would they go Def.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Looks pretty good to me for the most part, although I can't imagine the Jets passing on a QB especially if Sanchez falls that far.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Good Stuff! Rep to you!

I think 11 is too high for Ayers, but we've seen the Bills take players higher than projected before. Donte Whitner, to the best of my knowledge, has been fairly consistent.

The fact that Britton and Beatty both fall out of the first excites me, but I don't think there's a chance it actually happens. Unger is a Pittsburgh player all over.

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Very nice work

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Great mock. I love getting Curry in round 1 and taking an OT like Beatty, Meredith or Britten in round 2. Now let's hope this plays out for us.

Go Rams!