Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Smoke or fire? Vikings still deciding between Kalil, Claiborne, and Blackmon

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Smoke or fire? Vikings still deciding between Kalil, Claiborne, and Blackmon

Vikings' Spielman: No. 3 pick will be Kalil, Claiborne or Blackmon
    By Jeremy Fowler
    TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press

Minnesota Vikings general manager Rick Spielman is showing his staff three names to consider for the team's third overall pick in the NFL draft: USC left tackle Matt Kalil, LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne and Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon.

Each player, listed as equals on the team's "big board," will be the subject of the staff's intense film evaluation over the weekend. Spielman, who has the final say on all personnel matters, hopes to decide on one of the three by Wednesday, April 25.

The draft begins Thursday night, April 26.

Outside of a potential trade, the Vikings are not considering other prospects for the pick.

"What you're saying (to the staff) is, 'All these guys have equal ability,' " Spielman told the Pioneer Press. "What do you want? Do you want the receiver? Do you want the tackle? Do you want the corner?' "

A favorite has not emerged, Spielman said. Though he has received calls from teams about trade possibilities, he plans to wait until Thursday night to see what develops.

Most analysts and national media outlets project Kalil as the clear-cut favorite to be chosen No. 3, but the Vikings also have glaring needs at cornerback and receiver. A faction of Spielman's staff is very high on Claiborne, who is versatile enough to play in zone or man-to-man cover schemes.

On Wednesday, the Vikings will "run the cards," in mock draft fashion, outlining their plans for the first three rounds, Spielman said.

After last season's 3-13 finish, the rebuilding Vikings can't afford to miss on their early picks and need players ready to contribute right away. They have 10 picks total, including three fourth-rounders.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Smoke or fire? Vikings still deciding between Kalil, Claiborne, and Blackmon

lol, its almost funny(i actually laughed a bit,when i first read this article). They saw how much we got for our #2 and they want to get a treasure chest of picks too, to bad everyone knows Kalil will be the pick and that no one is going to trade up to #3. Spielman can say what he wants, send out this rediculous smoke screen and pretend like they are still deciding between 3 players. Heck, Isray sent out better smoke screens when he was saying they werent decided on who to take #1. I highly doubt anyone is going to trade up to #3 and i think we can all almost garauntee Kalil will be there pick. You lost out on the #2 spot Spielman, get over it and stop with this charade.

poejoe8 is offline Registered User

Re: Smoke or fire? Vikings still deciding between Kalil, Claiborne, and Blackmon

The Vikings are dying to trade this pick if they can, showing their hand at who they want isn't gonna help them. The problem is, there can't be too many teams willing to move up if they too have many needs, why give up another pick on top of that? Good luck with this Vikes.

general counsel is online now Registered User

To state the obvious, that meaningless win in week 16 vs. the redskins was incredibly costly for the future of the vikings franchise. If they lose that game, they get the bounty of picks for RGIII instead of us. The vikings will stay put and select khalil, no one is paying the price to trade up to that spot. They are the third horse in a two horse race.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    THOLTFAN81 and Tampa_Ram like this.

richtree is offline Registered User

Sounds like the Vikings are the new Rams....lol

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Sounds like the Vikings are the new Rams....lol
    Dang, thats gotta suck lol

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    To state the obvious, that meaningless win in week 16 vs. the redskins was incredibly costly for the future of the vikings franchise. If they lose that game, they get the bounty of picks for RGIII instead of us. The vikings will stay put and select khalil, no one is paying the price to trade up to that spot. They are the third horse in a two horse race.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I see your point, gc, but how about our now meaningless win against Cleveland? If the Browns long snapper doesn't botch the snap we would have lost the game and would have had the FIRST pick in this draft.

Could you imagine the brouhaha it would have set off? Might well have been of Titanic proportions.

Another point to be made is that lots of us draftniks have been overly criticized about wanting to lose games for a better draft slot. While I understand the argument against by our die hard Rams family, what is happening to the Vikes is a good example of not using this strategy when the opportunity presents itself.

This is one year where it can be said you won by losing....FLAME AWAY CLANNIES!!!

WHAT SAY YE?
    THOLTFAN81 and Tampa_Ram like this.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

The Vikings almost have to do this. They are the next tradable pick; they wouldn't be doing themselves justice if they didn't put out the feelers.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is online now Registered User

I get your point ramarkable, but i dont think a win in game 9 (cleveland vs rams) is the same point as a win in game 15 by the vikings. In game 9, one week past the half way mark, a team still has a chance to salvage something of a decent season, even if its not a contending year. In hindsight, the rams win vs cleveland was meaningless. At the time, the rams had the easier part of their schedule ahead of them and spags was obviously fighting for his life. Big difference in the next to last game of the year in my view, by which time the die is essentially cast. I do understand that all wins count the same, but i think the word meaningless has a different context in this comparison.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I think as a coach though, you'd instantly lose the lockerroom if you told guys to lose to try to get a better draft pick. It's one thing to play backups as you gear up for a playoff run, it's another to try to lose a game to get a better pick. I don't think the players would respect you for the latter.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

I think the Vikes are trying to get the Browns to move up one spot...

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

The obvious problem with what the Vikings are trying to do is that they don't have a QB to trade. The Rams had RGIII to auction off, and everyone knows if you don't have a franchise QB you won't win.

You can't say the same thing about a franchise CB, WR, or LT. Teams in the top 10 have multiple needs and since most of these needs cover multiple blue chip prospects, teams will just wait and pick the BPA. Browns need at least a RB and WR. Rams need all 4. He can blow smoke all he wants, but I just don't see any top 10 team being 1 player away.

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

I could see the Bucs wanting to potentially jump Cleveland if they are set on T-Rich. Cleveland almost certainly wouldn't take Kalil (likely Blackmon, perhaps Claiborne), then they land Kalil at 5.In that scenario, we land Claiborne most likely at 6. I'm more than cool with that

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

AtlantaRamFan, that's very true. But Richardson would be the next best thing (Tampa) And Minny would still land Kalil, at a slightly lower price.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I see Kahlil as the player they pick with #3. The Vikings have a lot of holes to fill. Sure they could use a weapon (Blackmon) to help their QB Ponder. Sure they could use a CB, especially in their division with the likes of the Lions, Packers and Bears receiving corps. Bottom line in my mind is that they need to protect Ponder first and foremost.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast