• 2 Post By Barry Waller
  • 3 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By Fortuninerhater
  • 2 Post By general counsel
  • 1 Post By Rambos

Thread: Snead May Look For Young Veteran in Deal

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Snead May Look For Young Veteran in Deal

The one kind of NFL draft trade that traditionally has been the one to include even multiple veteran players has been the blockbuster type. EIther a player going for a mass of picks and veterans, or a high pick traded down for pisks, AND players.

Listening to Les Snead, he seems to know that only experience is holding the team back in 2014, as adding five to seven more rookies will make them even younger.

The Rams have messed up by not drafting safeties and cornerbacks really high, and they really can't afford to add the free agents there that could really be a big boost.

So if Snead has teams come calling for the second pick, he may well prefer a young stud to a future high pick this time around.

The scenario I see existing indicates that Cleveland, with two #1 picks, will do what they did when RGIII came out. ...NOTHING. The Browns are a team that hasn't been a big dealer in recent years. They know a top QB will fall to 4, and i would be shocked if their other #1 isn't used on one of the really solid running backs in the draft.

How could Tre Mason not appeal to the Browns. They could wait till their second rounder, just a few picks later, to get the RB as well. I could see that second Browns pick being available in trade.

Jacksonville is locked at #3, and I believe Blake Bortles will be their guy, and if Houston takes Bortles, then Jacksonville "settles" for Bridgewater, who is a Miami native.

Pretty good deal for the Jaguars, getting a guy well known in the state, no matter what.

I still think Houston, knowing they really can't deal down and get a top 3 QB, will stay put and take Bridgewater or Bortles, with Manziel a long shot.

SO the Rams will be looking to deal with Atlanta or Tampa Bay, the teams likely to cover Clowney, and have high enough picks to get a deal done, as well as a connection from both teams to the Rams organization.

Certainly any deal would involve those teams #1 and #2 picks this year, but the rest of the equation might be a young starter, particularly, a young DB.

With Lovie Smith changing t hat Tampa Bay defense to the cover 2, some of their DBs may not be the fit there, but would fit the Rams perfectly.

No, they couldn't afford to take Dashon Goldson or Darrell Revis off the Bucs hands, but to get Clowney, I bet Tampa would sacrifice FS Mark Barron, a #1 pick in 2012, who still has a low cap number of $3.9 million, and is signed through 2015.

Seems like Atlanta is the more attractive trade partner though, and the most likely.

So who does Snead try to pry away from his old team? Could it be Thomas DeCoud, pro bowl safety, who is signed through 2016, who would bring a low cap number of under 44 million the next three seasons?

William Moore would be nice, but his big deal makes that impossible for both teams. At cornerback, Robert McClain is a restricted free agent, and a player who has come on after being a late pick.

Some have suggested a WR like Roddy White might be available, but seeing his injury history lately, I don't see it happening.

Adding a veteran presence in the very young DB group seems to be a real must, with more youngster expected to be added in the draft there.

The Rams cannot afford a top free agent DB, especially if the re-sign Saffold.

That makes a hard look at the roster of the team looking to trade will be a big part of this process, in my opinion.
    Nick and ManofGod like this.

Barry Waller

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: Snead May Look For Young Veteran in Deal

Just curious as to why you don't think Mark Barron is a fit for Lovie's system? He's a very young player still, and I know teams are reluctant to give up on highly drafted players quickly, but I don't know enough about him.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'd offer the Rams pick (#2) for Cleveland's pick (#4) and Josh Gordon!

Heck... they could have Austin Pettis as a bonus!

(NOTE: I know this won't happen.)
    Tampa_Ram, ManofGod and DE_Ramfan like this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Atlanta appears the most likely partner, but I'll bet Minnesota will be calling as well. Maybe we could pry Harrison Smith or Xavier Rhodes in a deal down with them. Certainly worth a shot if we decide to go that route.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'd offer the Rams pick (#2) for Cleveland's pick (#4) and Josh Gordon!

Heck... they could have Austin Pettis as a bonus!

(NOTE: I know this won't happen.)
    Heck, its the Browns, and they aren't called the factory of sadness for nothing. It could happen....maybe.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Atlanta appears the most likely partner, but I'll bet Minnesota will be calling as well. Maybe we could pry Harrison Smith or Xavier Rhodes in a deal down with them. Certainly worth a shot if we decide to go that route.
    The Vikings are already thin in the secondary, and consider both players "building blocks" of the future, I can't see either guy being available (not that I wouldn't mind having Smith he's awesome).

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    The Vikings are already thin in the secondary, and consider both players "building blocks" of the future, I can't see either guy being available (not that I wouldn't mind having Smith he's awesome).
    I can't see it either, but while we're throwing ideas around, I thought that one would be an interesting one.
    Nick likes this.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

As much as I would love to get a safety like Barron orDeCoud. By dropping down to 6 or 7 you not only lose out on Clowney but you cankiss Matthews goodbye too... I really believe we need to come out of this draftwith one of these players...

general counsel is offline Registered User

Believing strongly that both houston and jacksonville at 1 and 3 will go qb, i dont see how you could conclude that cleveland will get a top 3 qb at #4. That only happens if no one trades up to #2 with the Rams to take a qb. I think cleveland is in a tough spot. If they dont trade up, i think there is a reasonable chance that they dont get one of the top 3 guys. The real question here is how far back the Rams are willing to go, and that depends a lot on what else they get in the deal (which of course could include young players) and what they think of the gap between Matthews and Robinson/Lewan.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    mde8352gorams and DE_Ramfan like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I don't think that the QBs are that interchangeable. I think teams will like one far better then the rest for whatever reason and then do what it takes to get their guy.

I don't see a team saying we like Bortles he fits what we want to do and then say well if he's gone we can take Manziel.

With so many teams in need of a QB they all will have to think about a way to make sure they get the one they really want.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Believing strongly that both houston and jacksonville at 1 and 3 will go qb, i dont see how you could conclude that cleveland will get a top 3 qb at #4. That only happens if no one trades up to #2 with the Rams to take a qb. I think cleveland is in a tough spot. If they dont trade up, i think there is a reasonable chance that they dont get one of the top 3 guys. The real question here is how far back the Rams are willing to go, and that depends a lot on what else they get in the deal (which of course could include young players) and what they think of the gap between Matthews and Robinson/Lewan.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    You make the precise point that I have feeling all along that a team may trade with us from a defensive posture. There is no doubt that some teams will sit back and say we can wait for whomever to fall to us, but as Rambos correctly states not every QB is equal and a team can be worried that "their" guy may not be there. With that in mind, why shouldn't Atlanta or Tampa make a deal with Houston to ensure they get Clowney thus giving us the catbird seat on the the Bridgewater auction that is likely to follow. Intriguing for sure.

Go Rams!

general counsel is offline Registered User

The falcons are also in a tough spot. Clowney is exactly what they need, but they are also desperate for an offensive tackle. Is clowney good enough for the falcons to give up either matthews or robinson plus their #2 pick plus something in 2015? That is a very tough spot to be in.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    The falcons are also in a tough spot. Clowney is exactly what they need, but they are also desperate for an offensive tackle. Is clowney good enough for the falcons to give up either matthews or robinson plus their #2 pick plus something in 2015? That is a very tough spot to be in.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Yeah, I've been thinking about Atlanta's dilemma too. They sorely need a pass rusher like Clowney but Matty Ryan is the franchise and they have got to keep him protected or he is going down.

At this point look for them to stay put at No. 6 and take either of the tackles, Matthews or Robinson.

WHAT SAY YE?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

After making a big trade to get Julio Jones, Atlanta may be unlikely to make another big trade. But then again they need to win and win soon given all they have invested in the current lineup.

I don't think our only trade partners will be teams seeking Clowney. If Houston takes a particular QB (for example Bortles) there could be a team that may want to jump ahead of Jacksonville and ensure they get a particular guy they may fall in love with (eg Bridgewater). The Browns are a prime example of this, but as we saw last year Minnesota are willing to make big trades to get the guy they want. Considering they were competitive with Matt Cassell at QB, and they don't want to waste Adrian Peterson's prime, Minnesota may want to move up and grab a decent young QB who could come in and start.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

<<<As much as I would love to get a safety like Barron orDeCoud. By dropping down to 6 or 7 you not only lose out on Clowney but you cankiss Matthews goodbye too... I really believe we need to come out of this draftwith one of these players...>>

If the Rams deal to 6th, ATLANTA, possibly the one top 6 team that could take Matthews, will be out of the picture, trading up to take Clowney.

Jacksonville won't take an OT, nor will Cleveland, as both are expected to take QBs, as is Houston.

So that leaves ONE team, Oakland, and my guess is that they take Anthony Barr, a receiver, or another defensive player.

I don't see the Raiders going OL first.

That's why if the Rams deal with Atlanta, they are still pretty sure to get Matthews if he is their guy.

I don't see a later team needing an OT to trade up to get Matthews, since there are two or three other OT that might end up close in rating to him.

Also, Atlanta not only traded up to get Jones, they also traded up 8 spots last year, with the Rams, to get Trufant. Atlanta, with this GM< has made more deals than any other team over that time.

If they re-sign Saffold, they may actually OT go with an OT anyway first.
    Barry Waller