Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Barry Waller
  • 2 Post By Nick
  • 2 Post By r8rh8rmike

Thread: SO How Important is Drafting OL High?

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

SO How Important is Drafting OL High?

Let's just take a look at the starting O-lines of the best teams in the NFL. You can bet these teams will add MORE high OL picks this year as well if needed.

New England - 2 first rounders 1 second rounder
    Cincinnati - 2 firsts (one 6th overall) a second and two 4ths
    Seattle - 2 firsts 9one 6th over all) one second one third
    San Fran - THREE firsts (11.17,28)
    KC - TWO firsts (1st, 15th overall), TWO SECONDS, and a THIRD.
    Denver - One First (12th), TWO seconds and TWO thirds
    Carolina - One First (8th) TWO Seconds
    Philly - One top UFA (Peters), ONE first (4th), One former third UFA (Mathis).
    Philly also blew a #1 on Danny Watkins.

It's obvious how these teams got to be the best ones right now.

When these teams start seeing aging in t heir line, and don't replentish t he stock with early picks, they often see a big drop in wins. like what happened here with Pace and Timmerman and McCollum growing old at the same time, with almost no high picks to replace them..
    b
    When the Rams tried, with Smith and Barron, it was maybe the biggest reason for their demise.

Right now the Rams have One First rounder, Williams, who busted out in Chicago as a tackle, who is unsigned, ONE Second rounder they may well lose, and a high paid free agent former high first.

The rest are late picks like Jones, or undrafted free agents.

Looking at the teams that ar e winning WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE.
    And why is there not some huge cry to fix this on draft day over taking a pass rusher or wide receiver to add to an already competetive and stacked group of young talent.

The Niners and Seattle have been able to go elsewhere other than Oline the last couple drafts, because they got that taken care of a couple years ago, just when they really started t o get good again.

it is no coincidence.
    mde8352gorams and RosieJones like this.

Barry Waller

Randart is offline Registered User

Re: SO How Important is Drafting OL High?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    San Fran - THREE firsts (11.17,28)

Looking at the teams that are winning WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE.
    And why is there not some huge cry to fix this on draft day over taking a pass rusher or wide receiver to add to an already competetive and stacked group of young talent.

The Niners and Seattle have been able to go elsewhere other than Oline the last couple drafts, because they got that taken care of a couple years ago, just when they really started t o get good again.

it is no coincidence.
    Oh Really? How many threads have we had lately where the consensus or at the very least half of us have chosen taking at least one O-Lineman in the first and many have two of our first three picks being O-Line? This concept is not new and many here feel the same most especially OT & G are needed even if we resign most of our line from this season. We need quality depth, you are not the only one here to think this.

So I agree with your factual stats and with the concept of getting top flight O-Line help in this draft. At least two guys so we don't have a major fall off if we get injuries or to replace the guys leaving and not ready for the season. Also Les and Fish have shown skill at picking up guys off of waviers like Barks for instance. Just a thought not sure when that could happen but they are quick to act on those guys they deem a value pickup.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

We all know lineman aren't the sexiest of picks in the draft, but I'd be all for taking an OT and a G in the first 3 rounds if the right talent is there when we pick. When the line blocks well, Stacy gets moving. When Stacy gets moving, we dominate playoff teams. The O line is the only unit holding this team back right now. There are other holes on the roster to fill, but common knowledge is that football games are won in the trenches. Not to mention, our best OL tore his ACL and is unlikely to be back Week 1. My bet is Fisher and Snead focus on the big rigs this offseason.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -01-04-2014 at 04:14 PM.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

You are totally correct Barry, the Rams are in need to fixing their offensive line. I'm sure they will attend to that with at least one of their first round picks and hopefully add some 2nd and 3rd rounders coming from the anticipated trade(s) where the situation will also be addressed. I think the first domino to fall will be whether we re-sign Saffold. From there much will clarify in how the Rams approach the draft as it relates to offensive linemen.

The danger of being reckless or careless with selecting first round o-linmen is plainly obvious from Jason Smith (who is still dead money on our cap) and Alex Barron who was a false start waiting happen, as you said. I have more confidence in the talent evaluation here now with Fisher, Snead and Boudreau than previous regimes. Plus Boudreau's ability to coach 'em up is a great help too.

Don't forget we need to protect Sam coming off his surgery and in coming years as he's likely to get a big $ contract at some point, so it will be protecting the investment.

Go Rams!

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

I think its very important. But with pick #13 you take an OL. The extra pick enables us to take the BPA Clowney at #2 if he's there. If not you take Matthews...

Haste is offline Registered User

I would honestly be fine with us taking 2 OT's and a OG with our first 3 picks if need be.

RosieJones is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    I think its very important. But with pick #13 you take an OL. The extra pick enables us to take the BPA Clowney at #2 if he's there. If not you take Matthews...
    I get what you're saying, but I just don't agree with picking Clowney if we stay at two.

Here's what it seems like to me:
    In the garage you already have a Porsche (or sports-car of your choice). You also have an SUV that you bought to haul the family around that has lot's of dents and dings and you just found out it may need a new engine.
    When it comes time to buy a new car you go to the dealership and decide to buy another Porsche instead of a new SUV because the Porsche is top of the line?

Some people thought that Tavon Austin was a luxury pick (which he kind of was). Clowney absolutely seems like a luxury pick to me. The Rams need to put a wall in front of Bradford if he's the guy.

RosieJones is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Haste View Post
    I would honestly be fine with us taking 2 OT's and a OG with our first 3 picks if need be.
    If the right players are there I totally agree.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RosieJones View Post
    If the right players are there I totally agree.
    same, need depth and starters so bradford and co. will be safe

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I agree with drafting OL where they are available for good value, but not at the expense of fixing our secondary, which needs help as well.

Go Rams!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    The danger of being reckless or careless with selecting first round o-linmen is plainly obvious from Jason Smith (who is still dead money on our cap) and Alex Barron who was a false start waiting happen, as you said. I have more confidence in the talent evaluation here now with Fisher, Snead and Boudreau than previous regimes. Plus Boudreau's ability to coach 'em up is a great help too.
    This is one of many reasons why Jake Matthews appeals to me.

The Rams took Barron, who had all the talent in the world but didn't have his head on straight. It didn't work out. The Rams then took Smith, who had all the athleticism in the world but none of the technique. It didn't work out.

Now we're staring at a guy in Matthews who has his head on straight (the anti-Barron) and has the technique down (the anti-Smith). And frankly, I suspect he'll surprise some people with how athletic he looks in offseason testing.

If the Rams take Matthews, I believe they would immediately upgrade the right side of the line until Jake Long moves on, at which point St. Louis would have Bradford's blindside protected for as long as he's in horns. Sounds outstanding to me!
    r8rh8rmike and chiguy like this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    This is one of many reasons why Jake Matthews appeals to me.

The Rams took Barron, who had all the talent in the world but didn't have his head on straight. It didn't work out. The Rams then took Smith, who had all the athleticism in the world but none of the technique. It didn't work out.

Now we're staring at a guy in Matthews who has his head on straight (the anti-Barron) and has the technique down (the anti-Smith). And frankly, I suspect he'll surprise some people with how athletic he looks in offseason testing.

If the Rams take Matthews, I believe they would immediately upgrade the right side of the line until Jake Long moves on, at which point St. Louis would have Bradford's blindside protected for as long as he's in horns. Sounds outstanding to me!
    Ding! Ding! Ding! Barron and Smith were projects with great potential. I'm sick of projects with great potential. Matthews is ready in every aspect to start in the NFL.
    Nick and Haste like this.