Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: So, I know it's pretty ridiculous to consider, but...

Sauceman is offline Registered User

So, I know it's pretty ridiculous to consider, but...

First off, I know this won't happen. We have too many needs to let the draft play out like this, and there's a good chance Lewan won't be there at 13, but imagine this OL:

LONG - ROBINSON(R) - WELLS - SAFFOLD - LEWAN(R)

Sure, we "waste" our first round on the offensive line, but it's not a terrible idea in a defensive oriented division. Sure, there is still the health concerns that come from Long, Wells, and Saffold; but that's already in place.

What it does do is setup our offensive line to be not only better, but a real strength of the team. The flexibility would be unreal, considering both Robinson and Lewan could be OTs, as can Saffold.

I know; we need help in our secondary and we need a true WR1...but having a line like this could do wonders for Stacy and our running game. It can also do wonders for Bradford.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: So, I know it's pretty ridiculous to consider, but...

It all depends on what else is on the board. If Lewan is the BPAAPON (best player available at position of need), and it's not even close to the next guy, then it's worth considering.

richtree is offline Registered User

Not a bad idea at alll, or maybe even that kid from ND cause he can play multiple positions....

RosieJones is offline Registered User

I prefer Matthews to Robinson, but I wouldn't have a problem at all if the draft fell that way.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

I understand would make for a great line, but don't see it happening. Even if he is there at 13 and there is a chance to get Donald/Gilbert/Evans its going to be hard to pass up.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

If this situation came up I'd much rather the Rams trade down from #13 and select David Yankey. Not only can he play both Guard and Tackle, but we'd also be able to get more picks out of a trade down. I'd still prefer Mike Evans or Justin Gilbert at #13 though

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Obviously I don't need to comment on this idea, but I will anyway.

So you're asking a man who's spent 18 years not drafting an Olineman in the first round, to drafting two in the same draft.

Let's just say I'd be shocked and appauled.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Obviously I don't need to comment on this idea, but I will anyway.

So you're asking a man who's spent 18 years not drafting an Olineman in the first round, to drafting two in the same draft.

Ever time I hear this stat I want to punch something. Seriously, there is not a correlation here. The fact that it's still being brought up is asinine.
    richtree, FestusRam and Mikey like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauceman View Post
    Ever time I hear this stat I want to punch something. Seriously, there is not a correlation here. The fact that it's still being brought up is asinine.
    Woooo now buddy!!!

I'm glad I'm not there to be punched.

If you believe 18 years of not drafting an Olineman in the first round is purely coincidental, that is your prerogative. I happen to believe there's something to it.

The only thing that I find asinine, is the fact that people just gloss over it, as if it couldn't possibly be true.
    Warner Pride likes this.

Woooo now buddy!!!

If you believe 18 years of not drafting an Olineman in the first round is purely coincidental, that is your prerogative. I happen to believe there's something to it.

The only thing that I find asinine, is the fact that people just gloss over it, as if it couldn't possibly be true.
    Not implying that I would punch you, obviously. I just hate that this "stat" gets brought up every time drafting a lineman is discussed.

Sure, MAYBE he has some bias against drafting offensive lineman in the first round. Some personal "knack" or "quirk". If that, in any way, leads to him not drafting an offensive lineman at the top of the draft if it's a position of need (at this point, it's high on the list, but other picks can be justified), then I will have lost all faith in him as a coach. I'm not saying that if he doesn't draft one this year, I won't trust him. I'm just saying, if that actually influences a pick, that's a serious judgement lapse and a terrible indicator for me.

What i find ironic is you begin the thread with "I Know it's Pretty Ridiculous to Consider", and as soon as I agreed with that, you were ready to, "punch something."

People have their own philosophies, and if Fisher believes as I do, that you can build good Olines without spending high 1st round picks, why would that be considered some serious lapse in judgement or some sort of quirk?

I've used the GSOT example to prove this point on numerous occassions, but maybe you missed it.

IMO, the greatest offense in NFL history (the GSOT), had one 1st rounder on the Oline and no one else drafted higher than the 5th.

This current team already has a 1st pick in the draft, a 1st pick in the 2nd round, and a 3rd rounder on the Oline by comparison. Proving to me that continuity and cohesion is at least "as" important as high 1st rounders and high picks in general..
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -03-15-2014 at 03:22 AM.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Woooo now buddy!!!

iirc, Fisher inherited two first round OTs, Williams and Hopkins, when he took over in '94. Not to mention the versatile Bruce Matthews, also a first round pick, who played all over the line. When Fisher took over personnel in the early 2000s, it's true that he never did take a first rounder Oler. It's also true that his team was seldom as successful as it was when he had the high grade big uglies, esp those years with Hopkins and Matthews as the first round left side of that line. I'm sure he appreciates the value that investment can represent.

In general, I wouldn't underestimate the Matthews connection. Dunno if he'd take an OT in the first with Jake Long AND Saffold under contract but I'd bet on Bruce's kid being the choice if he does.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -03-15-2014 at 01:49 AM.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Haha still bringing it up eh? Fisher didn't have player control for 16 of his 18 years as head coach. The fact that he wanted it is what led to the GM that hired him resigning after 17 years on the job. If anybody has a track record for not drafting OLine in the first place it's Floyd Reese.
    citr92 likes this.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

See, that's interesting, because I'd be shocked and applaud
    Nick and VegasRam like this.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

You can't read too much into draft history, especially if you limit it to just first round selections. The sample size is really too limited. And one team is different to the other also.

It's like looking at Fisher and Snead's past drafts and drawing the conclusion we can only draft a LB, WR or DT in the first round because they are the only positions drafted when Fisher and Snead have worked together.

The Rams when Fisher and Snead have been in charge have traded every first round pick they have had at least once. Does that mean that the #2 and #13 picks will be taded this year? Not necessarily
    Sauceman likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast