10. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

2 20.00%
  • NO

8 80.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Varg6 is offline Registered User

So, say we were...

Hypathetically in the draft we're in a position to get Troy Smith, when Brady Quinn and Calvin Johnson aren't there, do we pick the guy up?

I say YES!

We need a QB of the future...Eventually those hits Marc is getting are going to screw him up big time.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: So, say we were...

I definitely wouldn't take him top five or top three, since that seems to be what you're implying by saying "when Brady Quinn and Calvin Johnson aren't there." Rams shouldn't be drafting a QB until at earliest the second day, IMO.

Interestingly enough, I seem to recall you not being very open to the idea of the Rams drafting Cutler last year. Now suddenly we need a QB of the future and need to draft Troy Smith?
    Last edited by Nick; -11-20-2006 at 07:52 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

As long as we're confident that Bulger will re-sign, I wouldn't even consider taking a QB the upcoming draft.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

I say NO, even though He played very well against Michigan , shouldnt draft him, Marc bulger still has 5 years left of his career. Hopefully marc gets resigned, but there's still one more year to re-sign him

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I definitely wouldn't take him top five or top three, since that seems to be what you're implying by saying "when Brady Quinn and Calvin Johnson aren't there." Rams shouldn't be drafting a QB until at earliest the second day, IMO.

Interestingly enough, I seem to recall you not being very open to the idea of the Rams drafting Cutler last year. Now suddenly we need a QB of the future and need to draft Troy Smith?
    After the 20 sack game the Panthers had, I'm beginning to wonder with Bulger...mental stability, yes I'm concerned more now than I was a few months ago...

Don't get me wrong, he is GREAT. But, hell perhaps I was wrong with Cutler (not like we can do much anyways...), but hey to redeem myself, why not get Smith? I just think he's the type of QB who can run out of the pocket (which Linehan seems to think Bulger CAN do, which he cannot.) and throw a perfect pass. Why don't you like this guy? He's a potential heisman winner, and you think he's not going to be in the 1st round?

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Maybe I am wrong....nah, I'm never wrong..., but I believe there are more pressing needs for us than a QB at this time.

Warner was not one of our draft picks. Bulger wasn't either. Yet, the two of them have set records that Lienart and Cutler will only dream of.

We've got Fitz. He's one of the Not-Ready-For-Prime-Time-Players, but with some mentoring, good coaching, and time to develp, he could be a solid QB.

Nope, I'd rather see an OL or DL drafted in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Why don't you like this guy? He's a potential heisman winner, and you think he's not going to be in the 1st round?
    First of all, where did I say I didn't like Troy Smith? The thing I don't like is listing him as the third best player in the entire draft behind Brady Quinn and Calvin Johnson as your post seemed to imply.

Over the summer I said I'd be surprised if Smith was available in the second round, and when everything is said and done I think he'll wind up in the latter half of the first. But right now his stock seems to be hovering around the early second round, and until the national championship game and workouts come around to change that, that's where I have him projected.

You say he's a potential Heisman winner as if that helps his draft stock and pro potential. Tell that to Chris Weinke (4th round 2001), Eric Crouch (3rd round 2002), and Jason White (undrafted).

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I say YES, BUT that is if Gaines Adams, LaRon Landry, Patrick Willis, Alan Branch, Quinten Moses, and Joe Thomas are gone.
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    I say YES, BUT that is if Gaines Adams, LaRon Landry, Patrick Willis, Alan Branch, Quinten Moses, and Joe Thomas are gone.
    So you're basically saying Smith is a top ten pick, since you listed only six players combined with Varg's two that you'd take ahead of him?

Wow.

onslaught11 is offline Registered User

Troy Smith = Tony Banks
    We will create such an onslaught against humanity that our enemies will take generations before ever thinking of attacking us again.
    -- General William Jauro-Smythe Killan
    before the battle of Tupiero Do
    :angryram:

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Wow is all I can say. What happened to everyone talking about how great Fitzpatrick was. What is the need to go after a qb of the future when we could already have one sitting on our bench. Unless you think that he wasn't worth the pick and we should cut him. I really can't say seeing as I haven't seen too much of him, but mabye someone else has.

I'm not saying I want this to happen, but if we were in the situation I think he'd be a great pickup. I'm not trying to make statements here...Why does everything have to be such a huge debate all the time!?

Nick, I appreciate your opinion btw, you're the guru of drafts, and I like to know what you have to say. I'm still just surprised about him being a second rounder...

Why does everything have to be such a huge debate all the time!?
    Is that not what you do on a message board? Post opinions and debate the merits of each side?

I'm still just surprised about him being a second rounder...
    Why? Just because he's playing well in college doesn't make him a top prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Is that not what you do on a message board? Post opinions and debate the merits of each side?

Why? Just because he's playing well in college doesn't make him a top prospect.
    Ehh, I just thought he was a Vince Young type of guy, being drafted very early.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I just read this entire thread and I'm dazed and confused. With all the talk about how bad our defense is and the O-line being all banged up, not to mention the type of season Bulger is having. There's talk about drafting a QB ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast