Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: So What Did Rams Give Up To Get Austin

  1. #1
    Barry Waller is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Alton, Il. USA
    Age
    63
    Posts
    908
    Rep Power
    25

    So What Did Rams Give Up To Get Austin

    Looking at how the draft actually played out after the Rams deals, and counting Ogletree as the same guy they would have taken at 22, the Rams basically traded down 25 picks from 46 to 71, and from 78 to 92, while going up from rd 7 to rd 6 with one pick, used to get into rd five in the end.

    Leaving out that last move even, a couple things become clear.

    The Rams knew that the guys from 46 to 70 contained very few who fit Rams needs.
    They were NOT going to take a QB, DE, CB, MLB, TE there, nor a OLB or WR after taking Austin and Ogletree.

    Clearly, they were not enamored with any of the second round running backs either.

    That 25 picks from 46 to 71 contained in the end 1 3-4 DE, 2 DT, 5LB, 6 CB, 3 TE.

    Only one WR went there, the top tier gone by 46. Only one OL, Larry Warford went in that area.

    Everyone thought safety, but only two, DJ Swearingin and Tyrann Matthieu went in the 46-71 range.

    The Rams had no interest in Matthieu that high, and they liked TJ McDonald nearly as much as Swearingin.

    So really, out of those 25 picks, with the RB off the table for the Rams, only Warford and Swearingin would have been rated above McDonald perhaps, but the safty need might have eliminated Warford anyway.

    Considering who they got in Austin, taking TJ McDonald instead of Swearingin seems like a fine deal.

    The picks from 78 to 92 were 2 WR, 3 safeties, now not as big a need, 1 DE 2 DT, 1 TE, 2 OL, 2 CB, 1 LB, 1LB .

    One of the DT might have been a value, but John Jenkins is a big NT type, not a fit.

    The LB is a 3-4 guy, one WR , Goodwin an Austin clone without the quicks and hands, was not in play.

    The 2 OT taken in there look like reaches, and I'd rather have Bailey really than any of the picks from 78-92.

    There was a chance some guy could have fallen to 46 of good value, but it just did not happen. Eric Reid, gone, matt Elam, gone, Jon Cyprien gone Kyle Long , gone, Justin Pugh gone, Justin Hunter, D. Hopkins, Menelik Watson gone Robt Woods gone, K. Short gone K. Minter gone.

    Had they stayed at 46, CLEARLY the BPA, by far would be the RB, and they didn't like Bernard, the first one taken, for the Rams needs.

    They obviously don't feel a true big back is what works in the dome, on turn either. In their division, even Jackson had a hard time against those stout NFC West defensive lines.

    They filled the need for a short yardage guy in Stacy, along with holdover Ganaway.

    That should be all they need, especially with Austin and maybe Givens getting 4-7 carries a game on end arounds and other type plays.

    I think we will see lots of screens to Austin and the others, and Sam Bradford will quickly become un-blitzable, like Kurt Warner was when he had Faulk , Bruce and Holt, plus Hakim, who could all turn a short pass into 6 points.

    Teams will have to give Bradford short pass after short pass, to try and stop them like they did the Greatest Show, by using cover two and zone blitzes mostly , but keying on stopping the big play.

    That will make for good things for Bradford, perfectly capable of throwing dart after dart with perfect accuracy.

    Not being able to blitz will make the Rams line much better able to dominate, as they won't have much exotic stuff to worry about, even against the Niners and Seattle.

    If teams try to stack the box at all, Sam can now go deep to a number of guys, and could have huge targets in Quick and Cook in the red zone.

    They look to be a defensive coordinators nightmare, and they were able to get their top guy, as I showed, without really giving up much, in terms of formerly available players who went before the Rams i round three.

    It's because of that, and getting Ogletree anyway, that Les Snead and Fisher seem to have hit a homer on draft day.
    MauiRam, Tampa_Ram, Rammed and 5 others like this.

    Barry Waller

  2. #2
    gap's Avatar
    gap
    gap is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,226
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: So What Did Rams Give Up To Get Austin

    We as fans often focus on the negative when a "questionable" trade is made, but this breaks it down pretty good. If you analys the players picked between when we should have se;ected, and when we did select, we didn't miss anything that we REALLY wanted.

    Although, some will point out a guy we missed between our RD1b and RD3a pick, but they would have been gone by RD2 pick anyway.

    Thanks for the great wrap-up, Barry!


    gap

  3. #3
    Tampa_Ram's Avatar
    Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bat Yam, Israel
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,951
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: So What Did Rams Give Up To Get Austin

    Great breakdown to say the least. Really sheds some light on the trade and what we did/didn't miss out on in terms of players and shows how good a draft the Rams really put together.


  4. #4
    vanillasue is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    213
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: So What Did Rams Give Up To Get Austin

    My only issue with this analysis is that if you trade back the 16th to get DeAndre Hopkins you end up with another 2nd or 3rd and keep your original 2nd. Those are 2 more picks we definetly could of used to take another OL and perhaps another safety/LB.

    Imagine having 2 of these 4 players (all needs and all future starters ) Arthur Brown, DJ Searingger, Melanik Watson or Christine Michael to go along with DeAndre Hopkins.

    Versus having just Tavon Austin.

    All I can say is he better be good otherwise it will never be worth it. I will be keeping an eye on both Austin and Hopkins over the next 3 years to see how it all works out.

  5. #5
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,299
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: So What Did Rams Give Up To Get Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue View Post
    My only issue with this analysis is that if you trade back the 16th to get DeAndre Hopkins you end up with another 2nd or 3rd and keep your original 2nd.
    Assuming there was a team willing to trade up to the 16th pick, which doesn't seem as likely when you look at the trades that actually happened.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  6. #6
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,491
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: So What Did Rams Give Up To Get Austin

    I'll say this...

    Tavon Austin is a bargain (in terms of $ and draft picks) compared to what the Seahawks gave up to get Percy Harvin. While Austin is a rookie, while Harvin is a proven player, they do play the same "position" of "guy who may be too small to be a traditional #1 WR but is dangerous if you can get him the ball in space."

  7. #7
    Jwalker is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Bama
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: So What Did Rams Give Up To Get Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'll say this...

    Tavon Austin is a bargain (in terms of $ and draft picks) compared to what the Seahawks gave up to get Percy Harvin. While Austin is a rookie, while Harvin is a proven player, they do play the same "position" of "guy who may be too small to be a traditional #1 WR but is dangerous if you can get him the ball in space."

    My thoughts exactly! He's a Swiss army knife

  8. #8
    vanillasue is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    213
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: So What Did Rams Give Up To Get Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Assuming there was a team willing to trade up to the 16th pick, which doesn't seem as likely when you look at the trades that actually happened.
    There were several teams that did trade up so that is not an issue.

    Let me just say I believe the GM/Coach did all this analysis up front and finally decided that Austin was that good and will be much much better than Hopkins and worth the trade up. I trust their judgement more than my own as they have access to more resources than I do so I am on board.

    I think they finally decided they really needed game breakers and field stretchers. Hopkins can't do that although I think he is going to be a great pro and very productive.

  9. #9
    DE_Ramfan's Avatar
    DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
    Posts
    908
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: So What Did Rams Give Up To Get Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue View Post
    There were several teams that did trade up so that is not an issue.

    Let me just say I believe the GM/Coach did all this analysis up front and finally decided that Austin was that good and will be much much better than Hopkins and worth the trade up. I trust their judgement more than my own as they have access to more resources than I do so I am on board.

    I think they finally decided they really needed game breakers and field stretchers. Hopkins can't do that although I think he is going to be a great pro and very productive.

    There was 1 team willing to trade up into that area and it was the whiners. And I imagine the discount they got from the Cowboys had something to do with it. I can't see Les giving the 16th pick away that cheap. Hopkins was gone by 27. Any team that DID trade up had a pick after that. So we'd have to trade back then trade up to get him.

    If the team though Brown was better than Ogletree he would be a Ram right now instead of a Raven. We still have Saffold on the roster so Watson would be a luxury. I don't see the Rams drafting a RB in the 2nd round since they look to be going by committee.

  10. #10
    clarasDK is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denmark
    Age
    39
    Posts
    424
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: So What Did Rams Give Up To Get Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'll say this...

    Tavon Austin is a bargain (in terms of $ and draft picks) compared to what the Seahawks gave up to get Percy Harvin. While Austin is a rookie, while Harvin is a proven player, they do play the same "position" of "guy who may be too small to be a traditional #1 WR but is dangerous if you can get him the ball in space."
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'll say this...

    Tavon Austin is a bargain (in terms of $ and draft picks) compared to what the Seahawks gave up to get Percy Harvin. While Austin is a rookie, while Harvin is a proven player, they do play the same "position" of "guy who may be too small to be a traditional #1 WR but is dangerous if you can get him the ball in space."
    And hopefully Austin does not have migranes all the time! As Peter King stated in his MMQB this week:

    Austin practiced 404 out of 405 West Virginia practices, then, and played in 52 of 52 WVU games.

    That's 456 of 457 football events for which the kid showed up. The only one he didn't: a Sunday practice in 2011 ... when he was being operated on for a broken pinky suffered the previous day. He was back for the practice after that one.

    Percy Havin has missed so many games during his carreer do to migranes that I have even noticed and I never look at what is going on with the Vikings....

    So I agree the Austin deal is a bargain with a pretty low risk.

  11. #11
    vanillasue is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    213
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: So What Did Rams Give Up To Get Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    There was 1 team willing to trade up into that area and it was the whiners. And I imagine the discount they got from the Cowboys had something to do with it. I can't see Les giving the 16th pick away that cheap. Hopkins was gone by 27. Any team that DID trade up had a pick after that. So we'd have to trade back then trade up to get him.

    If the team though Brown was better than Ogletree he would be a Ram right now instead of a Raven. We still have Saffold on the roster so Watson would be a luxury. I don't see the Rams drafting a RB in the 2nd round since they look to be going by committee.
    All I am saying is that to get Austin
    Last edited by vanillasue; -04-30-2013 at 12:08 PM.

  12. #12
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,543
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: So What Did Rams Give Up To Get Austin

    Austin practiced 404 out of 405 West Virginia practices, then, and played in 52 of 52 WVU games.

    That's 456 of 457 football events for which the kid showed up. The only one he didn't: a Sunday practice in 2011 ... when he was being operated on for a broken pinky suffered the previous day. He was back for the practice after that one.
    Holy crap! Another injury prone slot receiver! Just great. That's all we need. I KNEW this guy was too small, and NOW we see an established pattern of injury. My gosh, what a bust! Fire Fisher and Snead now!
    Tampa_Ram likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  13. #13
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,954
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: So What Did Rams Give Up To Get Austin

    Percy Harvin will probably keep playing at a high level BUT when a player changes teams it's still a wait and see how it works out scenario. Also Harvin is going from playing in a dome to playing out side on a slower track in the rainy Seattle environment.

    Ausitin is going to a Dome and fast track, I would think that's a plus for him.

  14. #14
    vanillasue is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    213
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: So What Did Rams Give Up To Get Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by clarasDK View Post
    And hopefully Austin does not have migranes all the time! As Peter King stated in his MMQB this week:

    Austin practiced 404 out of 405 West Virginia practices, then, and played in 52 of 52 WVU games.

    That's 456 of 457 football events for which the kid showed up. The only one he didn't: a Sunday practice in 2011 ... when he was being operated on for a broken pinky suffered the previous day. He was back for the practice after that one.

    Percy Havin has missed so many games during his carreer do to migranes that I have even noticed and I never look at what is going on with the Vikings....

    So I agree the Austin deal is a bargain with a pretty low risk.
    In order to get Austin we essentially lose a 2 and at least a 3 - maybe even a late 2 which would give us 2 extra second round draft picks.

    You can go through the second round picks and figure out which 2 guys you would have liked to add with Hopkins who we could of had at #26. Teams were trading up if the price was right. We might have only gotten another 3 , but there are a lot of guys that would have been great to add.

    As I said before - Austin better be good and he better produce. Keep in mind Julio Jones was the 8th pick in the draft a couple years ago and Les Snead drafted him. I expect big time production from Austin.

  15. #15
    GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    321
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: So What Did Rams Give Up To Get Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue View Post
    In order to get Austin we essentially lose a 2 and at least a 3 - maybe even a late 2 which would give us 2 extra second round draft picks.

    You can go through the second round picks and figure out which 2 guys you would have liked to add with Hopkins who we could of had at #26. Teams were trading up if the price was right. We might have only gotten another 3 , but there are a lot of guys that would have been great to add.
    This confuses me. How did we lose a 2 and a 3 to get Austin? We essentially didn't lose a pick at all for Austin, as we just dropped back 25 spots from 46-71. And you say that we could get Hopkins at 26. Given this situation, why would Green Bay want to trade up to 16? Not one person who was in the know about the draft said that there were any talks for Green Bay to move up, especially all the way to 16.

    As DE said, the only team to trade into this part of the draft was San Fran, and I can guarantee that there were 0 talks between the Rams and Whiners about a trade, since inner division trades never happen. So just saying we should have traded back doesn't make sense since there are no teams that seem like they would have been logical suitors.

    And FWIW, Julio Jones was taken with the 6th pick when the Falcons traded up with the Browns. In this draft, as Peter King reported, Snead was willing to trade all the way up to 6, but the Browns were set with Mingo, and the Cardinals wouldn't make a trade, since we are in the same division, so the Bills were the next and final target.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -04-26-2013, 05:20 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: -09-17-2012, 06:15 PM
  3. Austin Pettis Likely to make Rams debut Sunday
    By richtree in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: -09-25-2011, 12:13 PM
  4. Rams | Team talks with M. Austin
    By RamsFan16 in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -02-25-2006, 11:51 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •