throwback week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: So What Did Rams Give Up To Get Austin

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Re: So What Did Rams Give Up To Get Austin

I believe that your asking the wrong question.

What did the Rams get by moving up and selecting T. Austin. They got a playmaker. The Rams desperately need playmakers on this team. Last year they got JJ and this year they have selected the best playmaker in the draft and another playmaker on the D side in Alex Olgetree.

Go Rams
    Rambos likes this.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue View Post
    There were several teams that did trade up so that is not an issue.
    Not really. There were only five draft-day trades in the first round. Only one team traded up into the teens, and that was San Francisco. I doubt the Rams would have wanted to trade with the ***** to give them the guy they wanted, and besides, had they moved down to San Fran's pick, Hopkins would be gone.

It's easy to suggest we should have traded down to 26, but without any credible source suggesting that a team like Green Bay wanted to move up into the teens and were willing to compensate well to do so, then it's no more than any other completely hypothetical trade one could imagine.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

First off, you are assuming a team would trade those picks to move to 16, and since there was no action around there, doesn't seem like there was a market.

Dallas went from 18 to 31 with the Niners and all they got was pick 74. So that 2nd and third round stuff you mention in this take is nonsense, unless you weer talking about going from 16 to round two, and thus missing out on BOTH Austin AND Ogletree for some lesser talents.

The ONLY way you have any credence here even in hindsight, is if you like Hopkins and Brown better than Austin and Ogletree. To that, I say "Be serious".

Getting the guys they did in round three four and five, as well as the super talented McDonald, was just icing on the cake.

Hopkins, Brown, Swearingin, Watson, Michael VS Austin, Ogletree, McDonald, Bailey, Jones??

That is a COMPLETE no brainer.

Oh, also, since Hopkins went to Houston at pick 27, you could only have traded down to 26th if you wanted Hopkins.

No way you can slice it and still get Ogletree, and of course there is that ridiculous trade for , well just an extra #2 you would never get.

Again, almost none of the players from 46 to 71 would have been of any interest to the Rams, so having ione extra pick in that range is pretty much the same as having a third rounder, like the Rams got, along with a 6th, for trading from 22 to 30.

My only issue with this analysis is that if you trade back the 16th to get DeAndre Hopkins you end up with another 2nd or 3rd and keep your original 2nd. Those are 2 more picks we definetly could of used to take another OL and perhaps another safety/LB.

Imagine having 2 of these 4 players (all needs and all future starters ) Arthur Brown, DJ Searingger, Melanik Watson or Christine Michael to go along with DeAndre Hopkins.

Versus having just Tavon Austin.

All I can say is he better be good otherwise it will never be worth it. I will be keeping an eye on both Austin and Hopkins over the next 3 years to see how it all works out.
    Barry Waller

vanillasue is offline Registered User

I will end this by saying we gave up a 2nd round pick and we got Austin to move up into the top 10. That is essentially what Snead did a few years ago. OgleTree was a no brainer and I had that pick mocked all the way on a trade back.

I expect big time production from Austin along the likes of Julio Jones. Unless I see that I will be disappointed as this is a top 10 draft pick in the NFL. These guys should be can't misses.

My expectations are in no way unreasonable.

Make it happen Tavon - I am on your team - Let's go get em.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    I am on your team
    Maybe. Final cuts aren't in yet.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I expect big time production from Austin along the likes of Julio Jones. Unless I see that I will be disappointed as this is a top 10 draft pick in the NFL. These guys should be can't misses.

So Austin is a bust if he doesn't equal Jones in every way? I do think that is unreasonable. Different players, different teams, different systems, different situations around their draft position. Picking one player out of the whole league and saying "If he isn't as good as X, I'm disappointed" is unreasonable to me. Especially if you want to compare a traditional outside receiver to a guy like Austin who is anything but a traditional receiver. As many people have pointed out, his best comparison is Percy Harvin, who went #22 due to some red flags with marijuana and injuries. He most likely would have gone higher if not for his red flags, which Austin didn't have.

Also, similar draft position in different years I think is not a good comparison. Each year the draft changes. Guys may go higher in a given year than in other years, or vice versa.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Austin to produce. He was drafted to produce, and the Rams gave up something extra to get him. I just don't feel that making a comparison based upon draft position is reasonable. Austin is his own man, he has his own career, not anybody else's. As Champ Bailey said when asked if he was the next Deion Sanders, "No, I'm the first Champ Bailey."

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by vanilla

So you're looking for something in the ballpark of 54-959-8 (Jones' rookie receptions-yards-TDs)?

What if he didn't quite duplicate Jones' numbers. Let's say, I don't know, maybe 48-756-4. Would that be enough to keep him from being a bust?
    ZiaRam likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    So you're looking for something in the ballpark of 54-959-8 (Jones' rookie receptions-yards-TDs)?

What if he didn't quite duplicate Jones' numbers. Let's say, I don't know, maybe 48-756-4. Would that be enough to keep him from being a bust?
    Plus Austin's KR and PR yards... and he will get some end around touches so he will add some rushing yards as well. Jones had 6 rushes for 45 yards. No return yards.

I would think Austin's all purpose yards will be close to what Jones did in his rookie year.

But if they are not he is not a bust IMO.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post

If Im correct wouldn't that make him our top WR the last 4 or 5 years?

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    Bust blah blah blah. Tavon seems like a player with the type of demeanor where he will not let himself fail period. He's too focused and too dedicated to his craft.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    Bust blah blah blah. Tavon seems like a player with the type of demeanor where he will not let himself fail period. He's too focused and too dedicated to his craft.
    at first i liked austin and what he could do, as i like seeing people my size do awesome lol...

but i was still "eh" on whether or not he could do it in the nfl, possibly being that hyped guy that just did somewhat okay in the nfl

but seeing him speak makes him seem that he indeed does have the work ethic to make it....work

especially since if he pans out as predicted...oh man

MrLegend28 is offline Registered User

i would much rather have a top 10 talent, then a bunch of 2nd and 3rd rounders..but thats just me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12