So what IF Torry Holt is gone?

That leaves us with

Donnie Avery
    Keenan Burton
    Derek Stanley
    Drew Bennett
    Dane Looker
    Dante Hall

I seriously doubt Dante Hall returns. Drew Bennett might not be here next year. With the loss of Holt...

Donnie Avery
    Keenan Burton
    Derek Stanley
    Dane Looker

I don't know about you guys. But wouldn't that mean we need another wide receiver? Or will we put our trust in the three young kids and hope they develope?

Thoughts? Should we sign a new WR through the free agency? Through the draft?

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

Re: So what IF Torry Holt is gone?

i just dont think we can afford to cut drew bennett.
    if he can stay healthy and learn how to catch that would be good.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Avery, Burton, Looker, Bennett, Stanley.

If Devaney does a good job of beefing up the line and FB like he says he wants to, those 5 receivers (assuming health) should be sufficient. Jackson, lead blocker (still can't believe we cut Hedgecock), and a thicker line may require more attention (read: 8 in the box) from defenses.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

tdog08 is offline Registered User

I think we should keep him he's still a good wideout if he can get the ball

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tdog08 View Post
    I think we should keep him he's still a good wideout if he can get the ball
    And, tdog, I'd wager few would argue against you on that one. However, if, as reported, he doesn't want to be here.........then what?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

It's going to be hard to justify keeping him at his current cost, and he doesn't sound like he's going to be taking a pay cut to stay here. I don't want to lose him, but we may not have much of a choice honestly.

That means Avery becomes the #1 receiver, which he could be down the line but I don't know if he's ready for in year two. Even if Avery emerges as a #1, who becomes the #2? Bennett? He hasn't done it yet and you have to wonder if we can afford to count on him ever doing it. Burton? Shows promise but the knock on him coming out was injuries and he was injured again this season. Stanley? He's shown flashes at times but it'd be a big leap from where he is now to being a full-time starter.

The Rams may have to look for another starter-caliber receiver at some point this offseason, whether it's in free agency (do we have the money to throw at Houshmandzadeh?), via trade, or in the draft.

I don't think it's likely at all, but don't completely rule out Crabtree in the first round. He's a game changer on the field and a lights out combine may help him rise up boards. If the Rams don't feel Smith or another OT grade out highly enough, that pick becomes wide open.

Also, there may be some intriguing receivers in the late first or early second the Rams could look at again, especially if some juniors end up declaring (Harvin, Heyward-Bey, Nicks, Britt). I don't know if we should go into the draft planning to use another first-day pick on a receiver, but I wouldn't rule it out if our pick comes around and a good one is on the board.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The Rams may have to look for another starter-caliber receiver at some point this offseason, whether it's in free agency (do we have the money to throw at Houshmandzadeh?), via trade, or in the draft.
    Depends on what kind of money teams are willing to put out for him .. and of course how the Rams grade him against what we've already got. I think Holt is done as a Ram. I'll be very surprised if he's wearing horns next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't think it's likely at all, but don't completely rule out Crabtree in the first round. He's a game changer on the field and a lights out combine may help him rise up boards. If the Rams don't feel Smith or another OT grade out highly enough, that pick becomes wide open..
    Absolutely !!!!!

Well if he doesn't wanna be here I think the rams would look to trade him to a team he wants to go to or let him go through free agency, Why would the rams get a reciever in the draft it wouldn't make much sence unless you want to end up like the Lions I say get the sure fire thing in Smith or other and take it from there

richtree is offline Registered User

Kenny britt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Round 2 .....even if holt comes back next year, there is no guarantees...he showed signs of slowing down...and its going to be another building year and he will want out eventually....(hopefully) not...

Kenny britt (rutgers wr) round 2 pick 2 or 3 ...

If we take ol or lb in round one we can afford to do this.....

Then we have to fill a need in free agency ...

And we will have avery and britt for 6 plus years.....

We must do this...

Only way is if we draft a qb...but we shouldn't do that....cause there will be good qbs in next years draft too...

If anything take a qb late and take a chance

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Kenny britt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Round 2 .....even if holt comes back next year, there is no guarantees...he showed signs of slowing down...and its going to be another building year and he will want out eventually....(hopefully) not...

Kenny britt (rutgers wr) round 2 pick 2 or 3 ...

If we take ol or lb in round one we can afford to do this.....

Then we have to fill a need in free agency ...

And we will have avery and britt for 6 plus years.....

We must do this...

Only way is if we draft a qb...but we shouldn't do that....cause there will be good qbs in next years draft too...

If anything take a qb late and take a chance
    With all this Kenny Britt stuff you are starting to sound like that guy who loved Chris Johnson last year.

richtree is offline Registered User
    yeah, cause he is a star...and legit WR that can be gotten in round 2....

we cannot pass him there if he slips to round 2......

ps...chris johnson guy was dead on

stanley is a better special teams performer that looker...

looker keeps making team cause he has been the holder....

time to let that go already
    Last edited by Nick; -12-31-2008 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Merging back to back posts

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Well if he doesn't wanna be here I think the rams would look to trade him to a team he wants to go to or let him go through free agency, Why would the rams get a reciever in the draft it wouldn't make much sence unless you want to end up like the Lions I say get the sure fire thing in Smith or other and take it from there
    The point is that when you're drafting #2 overall, you want to be as sure as you can that you are getting the best player possible - especially when you've got as many needs as the Rams currently do. If Smith doesn't grade out as well as Crabtree or Curry or whoever, then you certainly wouldn't want to draft him #2 overall. Who cares what the Lions did? I feel alot better with Billy D. running the draft than I did with Shaw and Zygmunt in charge. I believe we'll come away with a solid player if we stand pat at #2. If Billy D. sees Smith as "sure fire," then he'll be wearing horns in April ...

Why would the rams get a reciever in the draft
    Because they need more talent at the position? It certainly wouldn't hurt to find someone capable of starting next to Avery, because (1) Holt will likely be gone, (2) Bennett has been a massive bust for us thus far, and (3) guys like Burton and Stanley have shown flashes but aren't close to that level yet.

Obviously there are bigger priorities than WR on this team (OL, DL, LB, DB), but if the Rams have Crabtree at the top of their board when the second pick rolls around, they could certainly use him.

it wouldn't make much sence unless you want to end up like the Lions
    Or we could end up like the Cardinals when they drafted Fitz third overall in '04.

By the way, the last receiver the Lions drafted (second overall in '07) just tied for first in the league in TD receptions and ranked fifth in the league in receiving yards, and he did it on a winless team with crap around him. So yeah, I'd like to end up with that!

The bottom line is you have to hit on your picks, and that's true of everyone. The Lions missed on half of the first round receivers they drafted, three out of four if you count Roy Williams. That demonstrates the importance of proper scouting and player evaluation, not the dangers in drafting a receiver high.

Also look at the state of the teams Cardinals had them both for 3 years and this is the first time they been competive. Lions have a great reciever granted but look at flurry and mike williams and their 0-16 record. Rookies don't grow over night Burton will be a good reciever maybe even better then avery we can't judge after one year espically after this year. Why not go with the sure fire thing they don't need a whole bunch of young wideouts when we could get DL to move carrikner back to DE
    Last edited by tdog08; -12-31-2008 at 09:28 PM.

Rookies don't grow over night Burton will be a good reciever maybe even better then avery we can't judge after one year espically after this year.
    Burton might be good, or he might not be. The knock on him as a prospect was his inability to stay healthy, and he didn't shed it this season. He showed some promise and some ability, certainly. But I don't think you pass on Michael Crabtree because you have Keenan Burton.

If the Rams take Crabtree and Burton develops into a good player, then awesome! That gives the Rams three good receivers and some versatility with their personnel. I wouldn't consider that a bad thing.

Why not go with the sure fire thing they don't need a whole bunch of young wideouts
    Look at my post again. I said "if the Rams have Crabtree at the top of their board," they could certainly find a way to use him.

The only way Crabtree is at the top of their board is if guys like Smith or Oher or others aren't viewed as "sure fire things" or at least aren't graded out to be better than Crabtree. Meaning if Crabtree is at the top of their board, he's closer to being the "sure fire thing" than lesser graded players are.

If an OT grades out as a sure fire thing, then I agree - take him! If I had my preference, it would be to grab an OT there and have him turn into an anchor on the OL for the next decade.

But if there are concerns about the OTs and meanwhile Crabtree is at the top of Devaney's big board, then you have to at least consider it. You certainly can't pass on him because of the Lions' draft history.

when we could get DL to move carrikner back to DE
    Because Carriker is not a 4-3 DE, in my opinion. His skill set for the 4-3 scheme is as an interior three-technique tackle.
    Last edited by Nick; -12-31-2008 at 09:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast