RamWraith is offline Registered User

Some Bernie stuff

First of all, the Rams' first round played out exactly as they wanted it to ... hope for a QB at 11, and milk it for an extra pick by trading down... a scenario which was laid out in advance by me in today's "Bits."

The Rams picked a good player in Hill, who also fills a need... and they were wise to trade out of 11 to get him. As I said in advance, they didn't want to take Hill (or a couple of other defensive players) at 11 ... they thought they could move down and still get Hill.

So in terms of strategy, the Rams did well in anticipating how things would fall, and carrying out their first-round plan accordingly.

In that respect, they get high marks -- the strategizing.

That said, I don't believe in judging a draft at the moment of the selections.

For if Bulger continues to physically decline and Cutler becomes a big star, this will haunt the Rams.

Not that the Rams have to draft "scared" and take Cutler because they feared there was a small chance he'd be special and didn't want to be second-guessed later. That's the wrong reason to draft a guy.

But in the coming weeks, as I explore what happened in the draft room, I'll be curious to see how hard Linehan and / or others pushed for Cutler at 11. The public comments made by Rams people today are meaningless. If there is a different truth, it will be revealed later.

--B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bernie, who is making the calls?

Shaw made the call today.

He formulated the trade-down strategy.

--B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like the TE they picked.

I'd cut the useless No. 86 as soon as this kid signs.

--B

Scidog68 Guest

Re: Some Bernie stuff

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    For if Bulger continues to physically decline and Cutler becomes a big star, this will haunt the Rams.
    --B
    Soooooooooooooooo Marc is nearing death and/or retirement?

He's been hurt a couple of times, but come on!
    "Physically decline"?
    He makes it sound like there's a tumor involved!

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

Eh, all our best quarterbacks come in the later rounds, or not at all!

Rams did okay to trade down, might have even saved contract money on the pick.

general counsel is offline Registered User

bulger is not in physical decline. He has two injuries, i fail to see that as gradual physical decline. if we protect for him, he will be fine. we have a team that can win now, i dont see playing for the future now. We picked guys that can help us in the future AND help us now. Using the 11 on a #3 qb makes no sense to me.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

SFCRamFan Guest

First of all, the Rams' first round played out exactly as they wanted it to ... hope for a QB at 11, and milk it for an extra pick by trading down... a scenario which was laid out in advance by me in today's "Bits."
    All hail Bernie...how arrogant. I can't believe that Av did not jump all over this quote!!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, typical Bernie. Like he was the only one who thought the Rams were pumping up Cutler to bait another team to trade.

If Bernie would admit when he's wrong, I'd have no problem with him patting himself on the back when he guesses correctly. But, alas, that is not the way of the Blarneyman.