Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By Barry Waller
  • 4 Post By Rambos
  • 3 Post By Nick
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: Some Clarity Emerging?

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Some Clarity Emerging?

This draft has as many questions in round one as I've seen, and the Rams possible moves are a big part of that.

For the Rams I see that 16th pick, as I don't see the Rams trading up, as a "see who drops" spot. If the guy in their top tier that just doesn't fit, like Bjorn Werner perhaps, they probably will deal down rather than reach, if I know Jeff Fisher and Les Snead at all. They are guys who are confident they can turn every draft pick acquired to a starting player.

A couple things are seemingly getting clearer. First, the top tackles will go early, and the drop after them makes teams looking to get one badly, specifically Arizona, Miami, and San Diego, more inclined to vie for a deal up.

If the price to get to 6th, with just a CHANCE to get Lane Johnson, it's probably going to make these teams go for broke, and get the second or third pick, so they could get either Fisher or Joeckel, and for sure Johnson.

Oakland wants to deal, and so does Jacksonville, so Cleveland might not be able to get much unless they are on the clcok and Johnson remains.

Another deal I see happening is for Jerry Jones, so eager to get the guy he really really covets, to make a splash where free agency has brought none, to move ahead of the Rams and Saints to take Vaccaro, who I think they could get at their spot anyway. I guarantee the Cowboys won't pick in their original spot, as they hardly seem to ever.

So lets say the Cowboys get Carolina's pick, and take Vaccaro, and tavon Austin has gone to a team in the top 15.

Who would be most likely to fall now to 16?

Well, lets look at who is still gone for sure.

The three OT, the top three DT, the top two guards, the top two corners, the top LB, seem sure to be gone.

That's 11 guys, and now you put Austin and Vaccaro in there, and you have 13 .

If you have one QB taken, it now leaves just two top players off the board from among these players:
    E. Ansah DE
    A. Ogletree LB
    J. Jones LB
    B. Werner DE
    B. Mingo LB
    DJ Fluker OT
    S. Williams DT

They wouldn't want Werner, Ansah, and Mingo either, who I see going to the Jets perhaps anyway.

So you have Fluker, Jones, and Ogletree.

Watching games, it's a no brainer that Jones should be the guy, adding a dynamic pass rushing LB to an already great pass rush. building to strength.

The need pick would be Fluker.

If you don't like any of them, then you deal down for a team that really really does.

There are starting caliber players to pick 48 at least in this draft, so acquiring more picks here would be a big benefit.

If I didn't get a deal I liked, i would take Jones. The Packers gave Clay Mathews a jillion dollars, so you see how teams covet these rare pass rushers.

Jones is a defensive monster, who will blow up any RB or TE trying to block him . Teams will have to keep TE in to help because of him.

He was the most impressive defensive player I saw this year other than Clowney. Two months ago, Rams fans would think they had NO chance to get him, but have been swayed by all the analysts who are down on him now.

The Steelers will take him at 17, and he will star, and they might even trade up to get him, if they fear the RAms might take him.

At 22, if they don't deal, you just take Allen, Hopkins, Woods, Hunter, or Patterson, and get a OL or safety in round two and maybe a S, RB in three.
    berg8309 and ManofGod like this.

Barry Waller

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Some Clarity Emerging?

I would be very happy with DJ Fluker at 16 and Patterson at 22. From this point I think we could get a safety and OLB in rounds 2 and 3.

I also would not mind if we traded back with the 16th to acquirer more picks.
    Nick, MauiRam, ManofGod and 1 others like this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm beginning to think more and more that Fluker could be the guy at 16. The Rams have shown interest in him at both the Combine and in private workouts, and it's unlikely he gets through the gauntlet of the Giants, Bears, and Bengals to be there at 22. That would allow them to take the best WR/S/LB on the board at 22.

shower beers is offline Registered User

We're assuming the Dolphins either trade up to go after one of the big 3, or pass on Fluker entirely. They have shown interest in Fluker, and some are starting to mock him to that spot.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Another possibility emerged today: the Dolphins have been granted permission to talk to Branden Albert. I won't be shocked if they make a move there, which would take them out of the OT draft market.
    ManofGod likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Another possibility emerged today: the Dolphins have been granted permission to talk to Branden Albert. I won't be shocked if they make a move there, which would take them out of the OT draft market.
    Trading Albert for a 2013 second rounder (Miami has two) would allow Kansas City to recoup the second round pick they lost in the Alex Smith trade. If they can get Miami to throw in a future conditional, all the better.