Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tampa_Ram
  • 1 Post By Nick

Thread: Some ram draft news and FA and around the league news

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Some ram draft news and FA and around the league news

by Howard Balzer

INDIANAPOLIS – During the day Thursday at the Scouting Combine, 24 NFL coaches and general managers were scheduled to talk with 20 different teams represented.
    More will be coming through Sunday, along with media access to hundreds of players. Each session is 15 minutes and from 10 am to 4:15 pm, there were only four 15-minute blocks empty.
    Rams coach Jeff Fisher is scheduled to talk at 11 am Friday with general manager Les Snead going at 2 pm.
    Speaking of the Rams, they have shown an interest in Northern Illinois quarterback Chandler Hornish as a potential late-round developmental prospect. Also, the Rams are one of four teams that reportedly requested a post-Combine private meeting with Louisiana State defensive tackle Michael Brockers.
    Some other early notes from early in the day: Alabama running back Trent Richardson, who underwent what is being described as minor knee surgery recently, not only won’t participate at the Combine, but he also will not work out at Alabama’s Pro Day. Instead, Richardson is scheduled to work out March 27.
    Coin flips will be conducted early Friday morning to determine the draft order for Carolina and Miami (8-9) and Kansas City and Seattle (11-12). Those teams tied in record and strength of schedule.
    Utah State linebacker Bobby Wagner won’t be at the Combine because he is hospitalized with pneumonia.

Schwartz on Fisher: Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz worked as defensive coordinator for Fisher until being hired by the Lions in 2009. Asked about Fisher, Schwartz said, "You go through some of the things he has experienced, taking over on an interim basis in Houston, seeing the team move from Houston to Nashville, playing their home games in Memphis and getting on a plane 16 games a year, then transition to Vanderbilt and having facilities in trailers, just going through the salary-cap purge and all those different things, that experience is something that you just can't get unless you live through it all.
    "Jeff has seen just about everything there is to see in the NFL. He is not a guy that panics. He is not a guy that changes course without reason. That kind of perspective he has from all the things he has gone through will serve that franchise very well."

Cardinals like their quarterbacks: Arizona Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt and general manager Rod Graves each danced around the issue of whether they would have interest in quarterback Peyton Manning, while Whisenhunt acknowledged there will be a competition for the starting job between Kevin Kolb and John Skelton.
    Whisenhunt was asked point blank if he would be open to signing a free-agent quarterback, “like people who should not be mentioned.”
    Laughing, Whisenhunt said, “I’m not going to get into those scenarios. I think Rod Graves, our general manager, said it best, we’re always looking for opportunities with players. I don’t think that’s any different from any team in the league. I think we’re very pleased with the players we have on our team. We’re obviously always looking to get better. That’s why we’re in Indianapolis, looking to see some young players who can help our team get better.”
    Said Graves, when asked if he’s happy with the team’s situation at quarterback, “We are, but as coach Whisenhunt indicated, we are about opportunities to get better. Our coaching staff has done an outstanding job with our players and our players have responded in an outstanding manner given the adversity we had early in the season.
    “Everybody out there associated with our team understands this is a competitive game and we are all looking to get better. If those opportunities present themselves, so be it. But we have an outstanding group of quarterbacks right now and we believe we can win with those quarterbacks. We’re preparing as if they will be the group we will be working with.”
    Along those lines, Whisenhunt was asked whether there would be a fair competition between Kolb and Skelton. He said, “Is that a trap question? Of course there will be a fair competition. You mean will there be a competition? Obviously, John did a great job for us over the last half of the season when he was forced to play because of Kevin’s injury and that’s what you want: he did the job we asked him to do.
    “The thing I like about this year is we get a chance to spend some time in the offseason with John, which we have not been able to do in the two years prior. Plus he gets a chance to have minicamps and he’ll get a little more time in training camp this year. Couple that with the fact that he showed improvement as the season went on, you are excited about his prospects as a quarterback.
    “That being said, we didn’t get a chance to see a lot of Kevin because of the injuries this year, but in the snapshots and times we did see him, we were excited by what we saw. So I think John has earned the ability to be given consideration for the position, just because of what he did, his record and the way he played. But I also think we’ve got a lot invested in Kevin as well for that position. There is nothing wrong with competition. I think it makes both players, all players, better. If we can get somebody to beat Larry Fitzgerald out that guy will be a pretty good football player. There will be competition, absolutely.”

Steelers want Wallace: The Pittsburgh Steelers are intent on keeping wide receiver Mike Wallace. They just don’t know what the cost will be.
    Wallace is a restricted free agent, and the highest tender possible will be around $2.7 million with a first-round pick as compensation. The Steelers have the option of franchising him, a move that would result in compensation of two No. 1 picks. However, the franchise tender will be around $9.6 million and the Steelers have serious cap issues that haven’t been totally finished.
    Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert was asked whether Wallace’s contract situation presents a dilemma for the team.
    Said Colbert, “Having a great player like Mike Wallace is not a dilemma. Obviously, Mike is a restricted free agent. Once we determine what his tender will be, we’ll know what our compensation will be. I’m pretty sure he’s going to be protected with a first-round pick at minimum. There’s always a franchise possibility. But not knowing what our cap total situation is until we get a final number, I really can’t say.
    “We’re going to do everything we can to make sure Mike Wallace remains a Pittsburgh Steeler. I think that’s Mike’s belief as well. Usually when you have two parties that share the same goal, it’s usually easier to achieve that goal.”
    As for wide receiver Hines Ward, who has said he would be willing to take a pay cut to remain with the team, Colbert said, “Again, once we get the salary-cap figure, we’ll know how much more work we have to do. We’ve done some work in form of restructurings. We’ve done a few terminations. There will be more of both to come. We just don’t know what combination that’s going to be. As of right now, Hines Ward is still a Pittsburgh Steeler and a great part of our history because he’s been such a great contributor.”

Fox defends Quinn: Denver Broncos head coach John Fox spoke highly of quarterback Brady Quinn when asked about the recent stories regarding Quinn’s comments about Tim Tebow.
    Said Fox, “Knowing their relationship, knowing both Brady and Tim very well myself, I think sometimes things get lost in translation. I know their relationship is very close. They have a lot of respect for each other. They’re very good teammates to each other. That’s what I know. It’s hard for me to stay up with all the comments, but I kind of know what I know.”
    Asked if Quinn, who is scheduled to become a free agent March 13, hurt his chances of being re-signed, Fox said, “No. Like I said, I know their relationship. I know (Brady) was a great teammate and I know Tim knows that. We still like Brady Quinn.”

Lovie OK with offense: After Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz departed after the season and Mike Tice was named offensive coordinator, numerous reports said the Bears would be adding a passing game coordinator. That didn’t happen, although coach Lovie Smith did hire Jeremy Bates as quarterbacks coach.
    Said Smith, “I think people jumped the gun a little bit on ‘passing-game coordinator.’ That was out there a lot. You discuss it and I thought about a lot of different things but in the end I didn’t feel like we needed one. We have a coordinator in Mike Tice; we don’t have a defensive run-game coordinator or anything like that; and I didn’t feel like we needed it. I was trying to get the perfect group that I could on the offensive side of the ball.
    “Everybody will have input. Jeremy Bates is out quarterbacks coach coming in. He’s been a coordinator in this league, I know what he’s done and I know his history with Jay Cutler. I just didn’t feel like we needed any more titles.”

Whither Peyton: A billboard has become prominent in South Florida depicting quarterback Peyton Manning in a Dolphins jersey and underneath it says, MANNING TO MIAMI.COM.
    Manning has been seen around the Miami area, where he has a condo and he has been seen working out with Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne, who went to the University of Miami.
    Meanwhile, Manning’s image still adorns the side of Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.
    Asked Thursday about the billboard, Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland said, “That’s the fans. They were flying a banner around the last football game. They do what they want to do.”

Re: Some ram draft news and FA and around the league news

Interesting our interest in brockers and hornish

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I wish we could take Brockers....and Kalil.....and Blackmon.....Dang we have lots of holes.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    I wish we could take Brockers....and Kalil.....and Blackmon.....Dang we have lots of holes.
    lol the more i scheme and plot and imagine what could happen I always come to the conclusion " We have more holes than the ships in Pearl Harbor have"

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If, say, Miami moves up for RGIII and the Rams are picking ninth, suddenly Brockers may become an option. Never hurts to investigate these things.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

It is actually Chandler Harnish, Balzer dropped the ball a little bit there. I actually go to NIU and have seen this guy play a ton. He is a decent throwing QB with like a 63.0 completion percentage over 4 years. His real asset lies in his speed. Harnish has averaged like 1,000 rushing yards a year the last two years. I doubt he would develop into much, but he is worth a late round gamble. NIU has put out a decent amount of NFL talent for a MAC school.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If, say, Miami moves up for RGIII and the Rams are picking ninth, suddenly Brockers may become an option. Never hurts to investigate these things.
    I think the Rams could do with a big trade down if possible. Do you believe this draft is deep enough, for it to be a viable option for the Rams. Kroenke did say he wants to build his team, in the Patriots model. But I don't think he will be expecting Fisher to become Belichick overnight. But an overall change in draft philosophy would be awesome. As its been the same old, sorry story, every single year.? It just keeps coming back to bite us every year, yet the Rams never seem to tweak anything.?
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -02-24-2012 at 09:31 AM.