Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: A somewhat unorthodox Rams first round I would embrace.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: A somewhat unorthodox Rams first round I would embrace.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    If you take 2 receivers in round one, you are kind of saying you hink Givens and Quick and Pettis were poor picks who have to be replaced. You do realize that only three or four WR even see the field much, barring injury.

Why would a team, in a poor year at the position, use TWO picks on WR??

Not gonna happen. If they take a bigger guy first round, they could look for a slot/KR guy later, but not round one or two or probably three.
    I agree with Barry here.

There are a couple different ways the Rams could go when it comes to the wide receiver position:

1) Do not spend any high picks on receivers, plan to feature Givens and Quick as your two primary starters, and use lesser picks to fill out the depth behind them.

2) Spend a high pick on someone like Tavon Austin who would operate primarily out of the slot, in motion, or in the backfield, and thus not really threaten Quick & Givens as an outside starter.

3) Spend a high pick on someone who would at worst compete with but more than likely replace Quick as the starter outside opposite Givens, thus indicating some shaken confidence in Quick.

4) Spend TWO high picks on receivers, and essentially condemn Givens, Quick, or the two guys you just spent high resources to acquire to situational roles.

My preferences are #2 and #3. I wouldn't be incredibly happy with #1 or #4 due to what I call the Goldilocks reasoning. #1 is doing too little, #4 is doing too much. #2 and #3 seem just right.

Rambos is offline Registered User

If the Rams take two, I would hope they would look for value with the second pick like they did last year with Givens. Givens would have had a second round grade if he did not have the off-field issues.

I could see Tavon Austin or Keenan Allen in the first. Then come back in the 3rd with Da'Rick Rogers, trying to get value due to his off-field concerns.
    Randart likes this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    If you take 2 receivers in round one, you are kind of saying you hink Givens and Quick and Pettis were poor picks who have to be replaced. You do realize that only three or four WR even see the field much, barring injury.

Why would a team, in a poor year at the position, use TWO picks on WR??

Not gonna happen. If they take a bigger guy first round, they could look for a slot/KR guy later, but not round one or two or probably three.
    1. I dont think picking two receivers in round one condemns the others at all. They dont need to be replaced, but we need much more depth, and quality weapons for Sam. The Rams currently have THREE wide receivers on their roster, and not much left in terms of cap space. Quick still needs to develop, theres no certainty that this year will be the year he break out year. He still seems very raw. Pettis, in my opinion, should be farther down on the depth chart. He improved in the red zone last year, but I think he tops out as solid depth. Givens is the only receiver on the roster who really performed last year. He's there only one we can seriously count on as of now, and he's only a 2nd year player. Theres alot of receiver rotations during a game and injury is all to common in the NFL, we need depth at the receiver spot. Quality depth. Not the last decade Rams depth.

2. If you think its a poor position this year, why not take two guys who are 1st round caliber, in the first round? Also, like I said, we only have three receivers on the roster.

3. You dont know its not going to happen. However, it would be UNORTHODOX if it did. I tried to make that clear in the title.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12