sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Sosa's Mock Draft

Free Agency:

Jonathon Joseph, CB, Bengals: Very young kid. He is a great corner and I don't think the Bengals want to let him walk but their team is a real disaster right now. He can come in and be our shutdown corner.

Rocky McIntosh, OLB, Redskins: Another young guy. Good player on the Redskins defense but is underrated. Could come in and be an immediate starter to upgrade our LB corps.

Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Giants: Spags loves to bring in players that hes already coached and this is one of them. This guy is a good pass rusher and has a nice upside. He can also play OLB but I prefer him with his hand in the ground. Will probably not be re-signed since the Giants have several DE's.

Barry Cofield, DT, Giants: Like above Spags will bring in Cofield and pair him with Robbins. This duo will be revived and should be a very good front. Cofield is a good player and makes plays in the backfield.

Carl Nicks, OG, Saints: This guy is a mauler and a good one at that. We seriously need to upgrade the guard position because Adam Goldberg needs to get on the bench. Jacob Bell hasn't been great either.

Notable Re-signings:

Clifton Ryan, DT: He was a good player although a little inconsistent last year. Did pretty good early this year but then was placed on IR. Would love to have him in a rotation.

Mark Clayton, WR: This guy did nothing but make plays while with us. Was our best receiver until he went down. A veteran who can help the young guys and has good timing with Sam Bradford.

Danny Amendola, WR: This kid has been nothing but outstanding for us this year. No questions asked we need to lock him up.

Draft:

1.14 - Trade up to #3 for the Bengals pick. Give them our first rounder and next year's third rounder. Now with the third pick :

A.J Green, WR, Georgia: This is one special player. 6'4, fast, strong, physical, can block, great leaping ability, amazing hands, good route running. He has it all. He is the best WR in the draft and is the best WR since Calvin Johnson Jr.

2.14 - Mason Foster, OLB, Washington: A very hard working player who is very dedicated to the game. Just the type of player Spags would love to work with. 6'2, 244, which isn't bad size. He did a great job this season in stopping the run and playing the pass. His potential is very high.

3.14 - Noel Devine, RB, West Virginia: Drew comparisons to Dexter McCluster. He is great in the open field, is quick and is the perfect complement to Steven Jackson. Change of pace is what were getting here.

4.14 - Mark Barron, S, Alabama: Could groom this guy into being the starting SS. Playing alongside O.J Atogwe. Has tremendous upside. Quick player and a hard hitting safety. Some problems taking angles. (This is if he declares)

5.14 - Will Rackley, OG/OT, Lehigh: Possible replacement for Jacob Bell if groomed properly over time. Good depth.
    Last edited by sosa39rams; -01-05-2011 at 09:15 PM.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: Sosa's Mock Draft

If this year's draft value chart is similar to years past, it will take more than a 3rd round pick the next year (valued lower than one in the current year always) to move up from 14 to 3. Otherwise I like your thinking.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

It will probably take next years 2nd and 4th probably. Unless they want some picks this year.

But I love the draft and FA.

I doubt we will get Joseph because he and Leon Hall will be locked up, but if we did, he would atuomatically be our #1 corner. IMO, he's better than Bartell.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    If this year's draft value chart is similar to years past, it will take more than a 3rd round pick the next year (valued lower than one in the current year always) to move up from 14 to 3. Otherwise I like your thinking.
    Understandable, I do recall the chart just not the numbers obviously. It doesn't seem like it would be too expensive to move up 11 spots. Especially considering the Bengals would still have a lot of players to choose from. But I guess we would have to package a better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    It will probably take next years 2nd and 4th probably. Unless they want some picks this year.

But I love the draft and FA.

I doubt we will get Joseph because he and Leon Hall will be locked up, but if we did, he would atuomatically be our #1 corner. IMO, he's better than Bartell.
    You're right, and thats what I was afraid of. Joseph and Hall are in my opinion a top 3 of the best corner back tandems in the NFL. Just thought maybe he wanted out because the Bengals are a mess, and were on the rise

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    You're right, and thats what I was afraid of. Joseph and Hall are in my opinion a top 3 of the best corner back tandems in the NFL. Just thought maybe he wanted out because the Bengals are a mess, and were on the rise
    Yeah they are.

I would love to see Green in St. Lou, getting thrown to by Bradford. These two would be electrifying.

To me, Green is the top, top tier in this year's draft of WRs. It's likely we will have to settle for the WRs one step below Green, but if we wanted to trade up, I would fully support it.

Mason Foster is a solid pick. Not overly flashly, just like Laurinaitis. These two will complement each other perfectly.

Noel Devine lacks size, but he is very, very fast, and can break a long TD run anytime, anywhere.

Mark Barron is a solid hitter and tackler, but needs to improve his coverage, kind of like Dahl. However, Barron has more upside and can improve in just a few years with good coaching.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Free Agency:

Jonathon Joseph, CB, Bengals: Very young kid. He is a great corner and I don't think the Bengals want to let him walk but their team is a real disaster right now. He can come in and be our shutdown corner.

Rocky McIntosh, OLB, Redskins: Another young guy. Good player on the Redskins defense but is underrated. Could come in and be an immediate starter to upgrade our LB corps.

Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Giants: Spags loves to bring in players that hes already coached and this is one of them. This guy is a good pass rusher and has a nice upside. He can also play OLB but I prefer him with his hand in the ground. Will probably not be re-signed since the Giants have several DE's.

Barry Cofield, DT, Giants: Like above Spags will bring in Cofield and pair him with Robbins. This duo will be revived and should be a very good front. Cofield is a good player and makes plays in the backfield.

Carl Nicks, OG, Saints: This guy is a mauler and a good one at that. We seriously need to upgrade the guard position because Adam Goldberg needs to get on the bench. Jacob Bell hasn't been great either.
    To be completely honest with you, I think that we'll end up with two players of this caliber. There's not much chance we're going to be able to afford Nicks, Joseph, Kiwi and McIntosh. Depending on who we sign, I'd expect us to target the other positions through the draft. I think that Nicks will be too expensive for us and Joseph won't be available.

If you were to ask me, I'd expect us to pursue McIntosh or Chad Greenway with aplomb in free agency, and the smart money says that Cofield and Kiwanuka are also likely targets given their history with Spagnuolo.

Notable Re-signings:

Clifton Ryan, DT: He was a good player although a little inconsistent last year. Did pretty good early this year but then was placed on IR. Would love to have him in a rotation.

Mark Clayton, WR: This guy did nothing but make plays while with us. Was our best receiver until he went down. A veteran who can help the young guys and has good timing with Sam Bradford.

Danny Amendola, WR: This kid has been nothing but outstanding for us this year. No questions asked we need to lock him up.
    Good call on all three. If the coaching staff decides to let Avery walk, then I'd be more than satisfied with Clayton and Amendola as our #2 and #3 receivers. In my mind, this offseason must be spent targeting that true #1 receiver. I don't think Avery is the man for the job, and I believe he'll be best used as a situational deep threat IF he keeps his job.

Draft:

1.14 - Trade up to #3 for the Bengals pick. Give them our first rounder and next year's third rounder. Now with the third pick :

A.J Green, WR, Georgia: This is one special player. 6'4, fast, strong, physical, can block, great leaping ability, amazing hands, good route running. He has it all. He is the best WR in the draft and is the best WR since Calvin Johnson Jr.

2.14 - Mason Foster, OLB, Washington: A very hard working player who is very dedicated to the game. Just the type of player Spags would love to work with. 6'2, 244, which isn't bad size. He did a great job this season in stopping the run and playing the pass. His potential is very high.

3.14 - Noel Devine, RB, West Virginia: Drew comparisons to Dexter McCluster. He is great in the open field, is quick and is the perfect complement to Steven Jackson. Change of pace is what were getting here.

4.14 - Mark Barron, S, Alabama: Could groom this guy into being the starting SS. Playing alongside O.J Atogwe. Has tremendous upside. Quick player and a hard hitting safety. Some problems taking angles. (This is if he declares)

5.14 - Will Rackley, OG/OT, Lehigh: Possible replacement for Jacob Bell if groomed properly over time. Good depth.
    To begin with, you're dreaming if you think that a measly third round pick next year will be enough to allow us to move up 11 spots in the draft. We'd be looking more at a first and third this year, and probably a first next year to make the move. I love the idea of drafting a WR, I just don't think we're going to be in position to draft the 'best one' this year. With that said, I'd be more than happy to stay at pick 14 and target Jones or Blackmon.

I don't think Green lasts past Cincinnati in the draft. Ocho and T.O will likely both be gone, and with Marvin Lewis already committing to Carson Palmer for next season, I don't see them drafting a QB.

I like your thinking in Round 2. OLB is a definite need area, as Foster's value is okay there. Good call.

I'll defer to our resident WVU expert (Hey, Nick!) for an opinion on Devine and how long he'll last, but I don't mind the pick in the third.

I really don't think that Barron will be available in the fourth if he declares. He's being talked about as a 2nd/3rd round prospect . I think he'd be a good enough pick for us in the third if he's there and we're willing to take the chance on his upside.
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -01-05-2011 at 10:38 PM.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Understandable, I do recall the chart just not the numbers obviously. It doesn't seem like it would be too expensive to move up 11 spots. Especially considering the Bengals would still have a lot of players to choose from. But I guess we would have to package a better deal.
    Yea, according to last year's chart, it would take the entire draft and it still wouldn't equal the value of the #3 (from the 14 spot). Obviously everyone knows it isn't worth an entire draft, but as guidelines they are good. I think BBQ is right in that our first next year would be necessary.

Well this draft is king of misleading now because of Luck deciding to go back to school. I guess we should stay put at 14 now at settle for who comes by. I would definently not be open to trading up to #1 because the panthers are probably going to take him.