sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Sosa's Mock Draft (Rams)

Here we are...the 2011 NFL Draft.. the Rams are picking 21 currently.

Well lets start with Free Agency!

OG, Carl Nicks (Saints): First off, we need a replacement for Adam Goldberg. This guy rarely gets any push and is doing a very bad job in the run game. He keeps this up and he needs to be replaced. With the saints making Jahri Evans the most paid OG in the NFL, they wont be able to afford Nicks too. He is an all around great player. He is solid in run blocking and good in pass protection. Sign this guy during the off season.

CB, Champ Bailey (Broncos): Next season, we need to make a splash in FA. We are ready to take this division with no regrets. We have at times had some very weak corner play. I'd love to snatch up this future HOFer. He is a shutdown corner, who can play opposite Ronald Bartell and help teach the youngsters. Bradley Fletcher and Jerome Murphy are both good corners although they get beat from time to time. Having Bailey there would make this a serious strength of the team. Sign him to a short deal maybe 1 or 2 years. Just waiting for full development from Fletcher and Murphy. Also, find a way to play Fletcher. He is a good young corner, and the only downside of this is that he loses playing time which I dont like. So plug him in any way you can!

TRADE:

4th Round Pick for RB Steve Slaton (Texans).

This guy is an electrifying runner. His rookie season he broke out and had a terrific season (1,200 yards+). He is very quick and is great coming out of the backfield...perfect change of pace back for Steven Jackson. Lost all his playing time due to the emergence of Arian Foster and fumbling problems. He still returns kicks which is also another positive. I am sure he has worked on that fumbling problem and fixed it.

DRAFT:

1.21 - Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State: This guy is a monster. He is 6'1. He is physical, fast, strong, has great hands, and is always getting the ball. He will provide a serious deep threat and will emerge as a #1 WR for us. He is right up there with A.J Green. This guy will grow and mature with Sam. This could be a serious 1-2 duo, similar to Roddy White and Matt Ryan.

2.53 - Jeremy Beal, DE, Oklahoma: He is playing lights out football. We need someone across Chris Long. This would be a terror. He is a 3 down lineman. He can stop the run well and certainly can rush the passer racking up sacks this season. James Hall is playing great football but is old, and we need his eventual replacement. This would certainly solidify our defensive line.

3.85 - Mason Foster, OLB, Washington: Mason Foster has been doing really good this season. Some are projecting other spots for him because he has played so well this year. He is really emerging as a great player. He will play alongside James Laurinaitis. Good all around linebacker. The linebacker core will be fantastic next year with Laurinaitis, Diggs, and Foster. We could use another young OLB to replace Diggs soon but we cant solve all the problems in one year. Unless he is the replacement for Diggs, because than the other OLB spot will need to be upgraded.

That is all I will do for now ladies and gentleman. I could imagine our team next year with all these guys. I would merely guarantee a division win, but nothing is for sure. The emergence of our young players and hopefully these new young rookies will be a terrific mix for years to come.
    Last edited by sosa39rams; -12-08-2010 at 10:21 PM.

Judaxi is offline Registered User

Re: Sosa's Mock Draft (Rams)

I'm ok with all of this except the champ bailey signing. Champ will be 33 by next season. We will have to pay him big bucks and honestly all he will really do is stunt the growth of Fletcher and Murph. I would rather see our money go somewhere else.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I like the draft choices a lot.

Bailey - too old.

Slaton - I'm concerned about his fumbling problems. I might avoid him.

Otherwise... nice job!

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

A couple of notes...

-Nicks has only been in the league three seasons; he'll be a restricted free agent in 2011, unless something drastic changes to the RFA rules in a new CBA.

-I'd prefer to not be the team that signs a soon-to-be 33 year old cornerback to a 3-4 year contract.

-Fine with the Slaton move. Would prefer a fifth round pick as compensation, especially considering he's likely the Texans' third running back when their backfield is healthy. But I like the direction.

-I'm fine with Blackmon in that range. Not sure if Beal is there in the mid-late second, but Foster would be a good third round choice if available and I'm sure the coaches would love him based upon what I've read about his work ethic and attitude.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Even with the fact that Carl Nicks will be a restricted free agent I don't think the Rams would go for him. They have a lot of money invested in Brown, Bell and Smith I don't think they'll go after a high priced guard. Goldberg's replacement will be a low price FA or come in the draft.

Systemlangstaff is offline Registered User

I would honestly rather see Jonathan Baldwin wearing the horns next season. I just have a better feeling about him than all the others besides AJ obviously. But thinking realistically I like Baldwin depending where we draft, I like the Steve as the back up RB choice, we can teach him how to hold the ball somehow. I just believe when it comes to WR, Baldwin has the height and reach mixed with above average speed from what I've seen so far.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    A couple of notes...

-Fine with the Slaton move. Would prefer a fifth round pick as compensation, especially considering he's likely the Texans' third running back when their backfield is healthy. But I like the direction.

Agreed. I think it would be hard to convince front offices that he's valued at a 4th rounder when he's third on your depth chart and not playing. I would even go so far as to only offer a 6th, if anything.