Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Sosa's Top Safety Prospects!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Sosa's Top Safety Prospects!

Well, after watching hours of film on all of these guys, here is my top 5 FS's and top 5 SS's.

Top 5 FS:

1. Johnathon Cyprien, FIU: Cyprien is a head hunter. Some of the hits I've seen him make are incredible. Cyprien usually stations himself in a good position when covering. He can certainly make plays on the ball. He is effective when he is at the LOS or when he is in deep coverage. Will be tremendous in run support, but can also cover TE's. He is also an effective blitzer. If he is not absolutely cranking you, he is wrapping up and making sure tackles. Has amazing closing speed.

2. Baccari Rambo, Georgia: The thing I like about Rambo is he is a true centrefielder. Georgia often left him as the only S and last line of defense. He has good eye discipline and excels in coverage. He likes to hit with his shoulder. Not very effective when taking on blocks. Washed out in the run game too often. He has excellent range, and a knack for finding the ball. He is very good with his eyes and quickly adjusts to the quarterbacks eyes.

3. Phillip Thomas, Fresno: He has amazing discipline. Never seems to over-pursue. He also has the ability to create a lot of turnovers, but won't be beat often either. Always wraps up when tackling, you gotta love that. Thomas is effective at a centre field position. Allow him to roam, trust his eyes, and to make plays on the ball. I think Thomas is underrated and will have great success in the NFL.

4. Kenny Vaccaro, Texas: I think Vaccaro is overrated due to his potential. Versatility is going to be the reason he is severely over-drafted. He lines up at slot CB very often. He does have good range. He misses too many tackles and often takes bad angles. I think he can make a good roaming S because of the ability to cover slot receivers and tight ends. He will effectively roam, locate the ball, and make a play on it. Gets bullied when he gets blocked.

5. David Amerson, NCState: Amerson is a CB but I think he should make the transition to FS. Amerson was repeatedly burned on verticals this past year. He is massive and has excellent range. He doesn't wrap up well, but he will sacrifice his body a lot. Amerson has a knack for locating the ball. He is a turnover machine. Amerson gambles often, which certainly has bit him in the back. Needs to improve when looking at the QB. He is caught staring in the backfield far too often and it shows on double moves.

Top 5 SS:

1. D.J Swearinger, SC: Swearinger will absolutely knock your lights out. He is nasty. Absolutely loves contact and embraces it. Can fight off blockers very effectively. Will wrap up when its appropriate, will crank you when the opportunity arises. He is good in coverage and reacts well. Very effective when he is sniffing around the LOS. I'd feel comfortable with Swearinger as my last line of defense.

2. Matt Elam, Florida: Elam is one of the better S prospects. He is probably the most sure tackler out of all these guys. A common among these guys is that they love to lay the wood. Elam matches up well with TE's and had some success covering them. He is very versatile but played S much more than a guy like Vaccaro. He isn't much of a turnover guy. He is nasty and aggressiveness may cause a penalty.

3. Shamarko Thomas, Syracuse: This guy is a missile. He is small and compact, but tosses himself all over the place. He seeks contact. Looks a lot like Bob Sanders. Loves to line up all over the place. He has lined up at slot CB, outside CB (rarely does those) and both safety spots. He plays much bigger than he is. Can hit very effectively and is just as good at tackling as any of these guys. He will also play special teams.

4. Duke Williams, Nevada: Williams is a fast player. His speed is terrific and he can track guys down easily. He is very good at finding his objective throughout all the garbage. Blockers don't have much success vs Williams. He is a vicious tackler and drives with his legs until your down. He has enough speed to match up with running backs and tight ends at the next level. Needs some coaching but Duke is a good later round prospect. Arguably the best closing speed I've seen in a while.

5. J.J Wilcox, Georgia Southern: Wilcox is an interchangeable guy in my opinion. He really has no limitations. He is a guy that has good speed and decent size. He has natural ability and can make very quick movements. He takes good angles and will take you down.

THE DREAM TEAM

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Re: Sosa's Top Safety Prospects!

Sosa nice list bro! It's about damn time you came over to the Dark Side and valued Rambo and Elam as such! lol Honestly about the only thing I'd change is put Reid at #3 and drop Amerson off the list. It seems like your list suggests Elam is a SS which I can see where your coming from but I think he could play at FS as well and be very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    Sosa nice list bro! It's about damn time you came over to the Dark Side and valued Rambo and Elam as such! lol Honestly about the only thing I'd change is put Reid at #3 and drop Amerson off the list. It seems like your list suggests Elam is a SS which I can see where your coming from but I think he could play at FS as well and be very effective.
    Well actually I was the first on this board if I recall correctly to actually like Rambo and Elam . I don't view Elam as an elite cover guy, so I'd leave him at SS. Mike Mayock had an amazing comparison which I agree 100% with: Donte Whitner.
    ZiaRam and Randart like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

FestusRam is online now Registered User

Sosa, off topic but where do you watch all your game tape? I feel like you prolly watch more than the majority here.

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Sosa, off topic but where do you watch all your game tape? I feel like you prolly watch more than the majority here.
    I think its a bar in San Francisco called the Blue Oyster if I can recall correctly right Sosa?Sosa's Top Safety Prospects!-ehfwnty2mti-_o_blue-oyster-bar.jpg

I think its a bar in San Francisco called the Blue Oyster if I can recall correctly right Sosa? LmaoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	eHFwNTY2MTI=_o_blue-oyster-bar.jpg 
Views:	19954 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	3346
    Caught me red handed ahahahaha!
    ZiaRam likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Well actually I was the first on this board if I recall correctly to actually like Rambo and Elam . I don't view Elam as an elite cover guy, so I'd leave him at SS. Mike Mayock had an amazing comparison which I agree 100% with: Donte Whitner.
    Ya you and NIck pointed me in right direction. I'd have to say I like Rambo a bit more than Cyprien because Cyprien seems so little and short but, there I go against my own beliefs in measuring a player by his measurable not if he can play football! lol

Ya you and NIck pointed me in right direction. I'd have to say I like Rambo a bit more than Cyprien because Cyprien seems so little and short but, there I go against my own beliefs in measuring a player by his measurable not if he can play football! lol
    Interesting. I prefer Cyprien to any other S in this class. I think he has all the attributes to be a superstar. With some good coaching, he can make for the ultimate safety.
    ZiaRam likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

I hear ya bro... I'm excited for this draft/ FA period because this is going to be our official Transition year if we can nail our picks and FA's again. If we keep SJ and Cyprien grows out his dreads we'd be like the RostaFari crew brah! SJ, Cyprien, Jenkins, Richardson lol
    sosa39rams likes this.

4. Kenny Vaccaro, Texas: I think Vaccaro is overrated due to his potential. Versatility is going to be the reason he is severely over-drafted. He lines up at slot CB very often. He does have good range. He misses too many tackles and often takes bad angles. I think he can make a good roaming S because of the ability to cover slot receivers and tight ends. He will effectively roam, locate the ball, and make a play on it. Gets bullied when he gets blocked.

Finally someone making a real assessment of Vaccaro! I'm not saying he's utter trash by any means but I don't see how he gets as much praise as he does from all these draft gurus.

Finally someone making a real assessment of Vaccaro! I'm not saying he's utter trash by any means but I don't see how he gets as much praise as he does from all these draft gurus.
    To me he's just an average CB more than a S. I think if they let him just play S we could really evaluate him more accurately. What I do know is he offers next to nothing in the run game.
    ZiaRam likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Interesting list.

Draft forums have been falling in love with Cyprien since the Senior Bowl. I'm still curious how many FIU games most fans have watched; I'm not afraid to admit I haven't tracked one down and am largely going off what I've been able to find online. There's a part of me that can't shake the nervousness associated from a guy going from a Day Three prospect to arguably a first round pick. Are people overelevating him based on limited footage, or are they catching up to NFL scouts who already viewed him that high? I like him, but I still have trouble projecting him higher than Day Two.

Based on your descriptions, I'm not sure why Phillip Thomas is listed below Baccari Rambo. You seem to give both of them praise in their center-fielding coverage skills and discipline, but have better things to say about Thomas' tackling discipline while being critical of Rambo's role in the run game. I think Thomas would be a great fit on this defense as the center fielding component to match Mikell's ability at the line of scrimmage. I'd be very pleased with him in the second or third round.

It's pretty popular for online draft fans to be down on Vaccaro where as talking heads seem to be higher on him. We'll see where he gets drafted and how he turns out. I saw him in person when Texas came to Morgantown to play the Mountaineers and I came away rather impressed. I do agree that one of the reasons he's more highly regarded is because of his versatility. In the right scheme, he could be quite good, I think.

You aren't breaking any new ground by suggesting Amerson move to free safety, but as I think it is the right opinion to have on him, there's certainly nothing wrong with that. He was beaten far too much last season, but I think lining him up as a deep cover option where he won't have to worry about turning and running in transition as much would benefit him.

As for the strong safeties, I don't think you'll find many people who view D.J. Swearinger as the best strong safety in this class, so if he ends up being a gem, you and some other draft communities that have fallen in love with him will have some bragging rights. I think you've oversold his ability in coverage and, in today's NFL, I put a higher priority on being able to consistently wrap up than on the ability to deliver hard hits that could be flagged and fined. But he's an intriguing Day Two guy nonetheless.

Elam, I think, is very well rounded. With better size, he'd probably be a sure fire first round pick. When it comes to a smaller, physical strong safety, I prefer him to Thomas, as I think Elam has more upside at the next level because of his ability to be successful in multiple facets of the game.

Duke Williams may or may not be flying under the radar; I've seen some sites listing him as a late Day Three prospect while others think he's coming off of the board on Day Two. Seems like there isn't much middle ground with him, but he's a name being floated around as a guy who could be a gem in this class.

Wilcox is interesting. Big work in progress, having spent only one year @ Georgia Southern as a defensive player. Hard to question his athleticism and versatility, but you'd really be going off of a projection if you're looking for this guy to be an NFL safety rather than basing it that much on what he's done on the field. Could be a couple of years before a team sees a return on this pick.

I think what this list shows, for me anyways, is the strength of this safety class. Not necessarily at the top as I don't think there's a truly elite prospect, but definitely through the first 3-4 rounds. This again cements for me why the Rams are better off seeking help at this position through the draft rather than going out and trying to solve it in free agency. There are plenty of options to chose from.
    sosa39rams likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Interesting list.

Draft forums have been falling in love with Cyprien since the Senior Bowl. I'm still curious how many FIU games most fans have watched; I'm not afraid to admit I haven't tracked one down and am largely going off what I've been able to find online. There's a part of me that can't shake the nervousness associated from a guy going from a Day Three prospect to arguably a first round pick. Are people overelevating him based on limited footage, or are they catching up to NFL scouts who already viewed him that high? I like him, but I still have trouble projecting him higher than Day Two.

Based on your descriptions, I'm not sure why Phillip Thomas is listed below Baccari Rambo. You seem to give both of them praise in their center-fielding coverage skills and discipline, but have better things to say about Thomas' tackling discipline while being critical of Rambo's role in the run game. I think Thomas would be a great fit on this defense as the center fielding component to match Mikell's ability at the line of scrimmage. I'd be very pleased with him in the second or third round.

It's pretty popular for online draft fans to be down on Vaccaro where as talking heads seem to be higher on him. We'll see where he gets drafted and how he turns out. I saw him in person when Texas came to Morgantown to play the Mountaineers and I came away rather impressed. I do agree that one of the reasons he's more highly regarded is because of his versatility. In the right scheme, he could be quite good, I think.

You aren't breaking any new ground by suggesting Amerson move to free safety, but as I think it is the right opinion to have on him, there's certainly nothing wrong with that. He was beaten far too much last season, but I think lining him up as a deep cover option where he won't have to worry about turning and running in transition as much would benefit him.

As for the strong safeties, I don't think you'll find many people who view D.J. Swearinger as the best strong safety in this class, so if he ends up being a gem, you and some other draft communities that have fallen in love with him will have some bragging rights. I think you've oversold his ability in coverage and, in today's NFL, I put a higher priority on being able to consistently wrap up than on the ability to deliver hard hits that could be flagged and fined. But he's an intriguing Day Two guy nonetheless.

Elam, I think, is very well rounded. With better size, he'd probably be a sure fire first round pick. When it comes to a smaller, physical strong safety, I prefer him to Thomas, as I think Elam has more upside at the next level because of his ability to be successful in multiple facets of the game.

Duke Williams may or may not be flying under the radar; I've seen some sites listing him as a late Day Three prospect while others think he's coming off of the board on Day Two. Seems like there isn't much middle ground with him, but he's a name being floated around as a guy who could be a gem in this class.

Wilcox is interesting. Big work in progress, having spent only one year @ Georgia Southern as a defensive player. Hard to question his athleticism and versatility, but you'd really be going off of a projection if you're looking for this guy to be an NFL safety rather than basing it that much on what he's done on the field. Could be a couple of years before a team sees a return on this pick.

I think what this list shows, for me anyways, is the strength of this safety class. Not necessarily at the top as I don't think there's a truly elite prospect, but definitely through the first 3-4 rounds. This again cements for me why the Rams are better off seeking help at this position through the draft rather than going out and trying to solve it in free agency. There are plenty of options to chose from.
    Rambo vs Thomas is a very close one and can be swapped just as easily as they can stay the same. I gave the nod to Rambo because of his superb ability to stay at centre field and roam. I think he is the most effective out of all of these guys when it comes to a "Ed Reed" type FS.

Cyprien is my top guy. The level he played against may not have been top, but I think the reason for his drastic rise was that he was virtually unknown, and as soon as someone tells Mike Mayock to check a prospect out, he does, which in turn he gives that prospect praise, and then everyone else in the draft community hears it and checks them out too. Cyprien can absolutely light you up, but is solid in coverage too. He has the best closing speed in this class, and is a nasty and physical guy. His swagger is unreal too.
    ZiaRam likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Rambo vs Thomas is a very close one and can be swapped just as easily as they can stay the same. I gave the nod to Rambo because of his superb ability to stay at centre field and roam. I think he is the most effective out of all of these guys when it comes to a "Ed Reed" type FS.
    Fair enough, though for me, after the mess that was Craig Dahl, give me the guy who is good both in coverage and as a tackler rather than someone who is great in coverage but average as a tackle.

Perhaps that's just my conservative approach to draft prospects, though.

Cyprien is my top guy. The level he played against may not have been top, but I think the reason for his drastic rise was that he was virtually unknown, and as soon as someone tells Mike Mayock to check a prospect out, he does, which in turn he gives that prospect praise, and then everyone else in the draft community hears it and checks them out too. Cyprien can absolutely light you up, but is solid in coverage too. He has the best closing speed in this class, and is a nasty and physical guy. His swagger is unreal too.
    I really don't think Mayock was the catalyst; I think the Senior Bowl itself was. Cyprien turned a lot of heads there during practice, which in turn caused people to take notice more than anything one person said.

Unfortunately, if Cyprien really was the virtual unknown you describe him as, then people probably did not have a lot of FIU games saved on their DVR to go back and watch.

Out of curiosity, where did you find yours? To elevate Cyprien from a virtually unknown to your top guy means you probably found a way to watch a lot of him.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Fair enough, though for me, after the mess that was Craig Dahl, give me the guy who is good both in coverage and as a tackler rather than someone who is great in coverage but average as a tackle.

Perhaps that's just my conservative approach to draft prospects, though.

I really don't think Mayock was the catalyst; I think the Senior Bowl itself was. Cyprien turned a lot of heads there during practice, which in turn caused people to take notice more than anything one person said.

Unfortunately, if Cyprien really was the virtual unknown you describe him as, then people probably did not have a lot of FIU games saved on their DVR to go back and watch.

Out of curiosity, where did you find yours? To elevate Cyprien from a virtually unknown to your top guy means you probably found a way to watch a lot of him.
    Yeah, I believe the Senior Bowl did start the buzz. Once evaluators seen what they liked, they wen't back and probably watched loads of tape.

I either download games from torrents or pirate bay, or even easier :

Videos | Draft Breakdown

Great sight which has a lot of tape.
    Nick, GROUND DOG 39 and ZiaRam like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast