Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Nick
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams
  • 1 Post By richtree

Thread: Sosa's WR Ratings 2.0

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Sosa's WR Ratings 2.0

As things have come along with the combine, I've adjusted my board accordingly to how I feel.

1. Sammy Watkins, Clemson:

-Sammy is the top guy. He's explosive, fast, and dangerous in the open field. He has amazing hands and is a good blocker. All around he's an excellent weapon and will be an impact player from day 1.

2. Mike Evans, TA&M:

-As time has went on I'm more comfortable with Evans. He slides up my rankings a substantial amount. He wins all jump balls and has some speed to him, plus an amazing set of hands. He reminds me of Alshon Jeffery. Evans is a dominant guy. Once his route running develops, he'll be a top 10 WR in the league.

3. Odell Beckham Jr, LSU:

-OBJ is a special athlete. He is a vertical guy that can win air balls. He has good hands as well and is a very crisp route runner. He played in a pro-style offense and has terrific speed. He also has return capabilities making him a 4 down player.

4. Brandon Cooks, OregonSt:

-Cooks is a superb player. He has unbelievable speed as displayed at the combine. He is ready to contribute day 1. I wouldn't want the Rams to take him as he is strictly a slot player though. He is explosive in short areas and will be a great slot WR.

5. Jarvis Landry, LSU:

-Too much will be made out of Landry's 40 time. He is an intermediate WR who wins with the best hands in the class and toughness. He is a great blocker, and is superb in and out of breaks. He's terrific vs press coverage too. Very, very tough player.

6. Kelvin Benjamin, FLST:

-Benjamin is a massive guy that measures favorably to Calvin Johnson. His problem is he has concentration lapses that can lead to drops. He's a tough guy that wins jump balls and looks like an RB waist down.

7. Brandon Coleman, Rutgers:

-Biggest WR at 6'6 but he can run too. He can elevate and get the ball. He's got good hands and is a willing and good blocker. Shields defenders. He is great against press man coverage too.

8. Allen Robinson, PennSt:

-Robinson has decent speed. More of a possession guy. He has good hands and can run an array of routes. He is importantly a hands catcher. I wonder if he can beat press man. Does he have jump ball ability?

9. Jordan Matthews, Vandy:

-Plucks the ball in the air, pretty good hands. Very tough player, operates over the middle of the field. Shields defenders with a big body. Ran lots of routes, a good deep threat.

10. Marqise Lee, USC:

-Lee ran plenty of routes. He has great deep speed. Will kill you in the open field. Tough player and a good blocker. Is he going to be oft-injured? 2012 or 2013 Lee?

THE DREAM TEAM

Mikey is offline Registered User

Re: Sosa's WR Ratings 2.0

If we're able to pick up an extra 2nd rounder I'd love to see Jordan Matthews picked by the Rams. As you said he goes and gets the ball with great hands. Good size/speed combo too.

Sauceman is offline Registered User

You don't know how happy I'll be if we can:

1. Trade down from 2 to acquire more picks (#4 or #6 appeal to me as partners)
    2. Draft Matthews or Robinson (preference is Robinson but gut is Matthews) with our top pick.
    3. Draft Mike Evans at 13 (though after putting up a 4.47, he could be top 10 material, sadly)

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

That's a lot of post-Combine shake-up from your previous rankings. Can you talk specifically about why there was so much movement? For instance, you don't often see guys go from being the top-ranked prospect at their position to #6, or someone jumping from #7 to #2, etc.
    HUbison and RockinRam like this.

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    That's a lot of post-Combine shake-up from your previous rankings. Can you talk specifically about why there was so much movement? For instance, you don't often see guys go from being the top-ranked prospect at their position to #6, or someone jumping from #7 to #2, etc.
    I'm interested in this too. One thing I worry about, to speak more broadly, at this time of year, is the notion of difference for difference's sake. It's not something I'm accusing you of, Sosa, because at this point we can only assume you've got your reasons, but I often get concerned by analysts (often in positions of note outside of Clanram) looking to push boundaries -- to stand out.

In any case, excited to see how things have shaken up so vigorously for you. Particularly in the case of Landry - an 'intermediate' receiver, as you've called him, ranked above a guy like Coleman with 'good hands', 'good blocking' and who is 'great against man coverage'. Sounds like he gets a better rap than Landry does!

Sure thing, guys.

- I think Sammy is the top guy. I had him ranked as #1 before, but the way the "ratings" system shook out Benjamin actually took the top spot with Watkins right behind him. He is undoubtedly the top guy, and like you said in another thread Nick, I also have him above the Blackmon/Floyd/Jeffery class.

- Evans I had near the bottom before. But not because of his lack of skills, only because I was afraid of his immaturity level. To me he still has that concern but with his unbelievable skill set I feel more comfortable with his "issues". Also, we haven't heard anything about it so it can't be a huge issue. I mean the guy has a 37" vert, 35" arms, and is a shade under 6'5. Picture that catch radius.

- I actually never got to watch anything on OBJ before. Now that I have, he's damn impressive. For a guy that little to win contested balls is amazing. He to me compares pretty well to DeSean Jackson, without the diva part. He is a great guy, can play in or out, KR/PR. He also comes ready to contribute NOW playing in Cam Cameron's pro-style offense.

- Cooks is a guy I never put on my ratings before because I have no interest in the Rams taking him. It felt unnatural because it's a "WR ranking" so I feel like he should now be included.

- Landry hasn't varied much. He has the best hands in the draft and will contribute right away.

- Benjamin takes a little slide here. Not so much because he disappointed but some other guys impressed. Benjamin is particularly slow. He's also older at 23. If he can get in and out of his breaks wasting less movement he can be a great player. I'm not sure he fits with us right now though.

- Coleman is a little more "raw" but damn he is impressive. He doesn't slide much but suffers from some other guys moving up too. If you can put in some work with Coleman he will be very very good. He and Benjamin are interchangeable.

- Robinson does slide down my board. I worry about his ability to separate consistently. He is a little thin looking, not very "strong" per se, plus his speed isn't as good as many of these guys. He still does have the ability to play though. Many positives to his game.

- Matthews doesn't really move.

- Lee takes a decent tumble. He didn't run as fast as we thought. I'm worried about are we getting the "good" Lee or the "bad" Lee. Will he be injured? Can he fix his concentration lapses?

Just for the record this isn't all based off the combine. I watched some more stuff on these guys, some I finally got to watch, some guys disappointed or impressed at the combine. It's a combination of things.
    Last edited by sosa39rams; -02-25-2014 at 10:24 AM.
    Randart likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Thanks for elaborating!
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Where would you rank Martavis Bryant?

RebelYell is offline Registered User

JMO but Watkins is an elite prospect. Production on the field, no major character flaws, elite athlete.

Compared to a guy like Blackmon, it's night / day.
    IMO, Evans' issues are just under wraps for now.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Where would you rank Martavis Bryant?
    It would be a battle between Bryant and Donte Moncrief for the next spot (#11). Bryant is impressive as he boasts that "height-weight-speed" trio. He has probably been overshadowed by the great WR's at clemson.
    Randart likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

citr92 is offline Registered User

yea, don't let the 40 time for lee fool you, or for anyone else

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    yea, don't let the 40 time for lee fool you, or for anyone else
    Not worried at all. There is a difference between 40 speed and football speed. Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 Jerry Rice also had football speed.

THE DREAM TEAM

My #1,2,3,4 and 6th WR's are off the board! Best of the rest I think I'd roll with Jarvis Landry. Though Cody Latimer, Davante Adams, and Martavis Bryant are a few guys that could surprise here.

I think in round 2: Jordan Matthews goes, Cody Latimer, Marqise Lee, and Davante Adams. Round 3: Jarvis Landry, Allen Robinson, Martavis Bryant, Brandon Coleman.

THE DREAM TEAM

richtree is offline Registered User

Good job....we seem to be on same page a lot....just remember the experts are wrong too...lol
    sosa39rams likes this.