Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sound Strategy? - Rams move up to pick Austin & Patterson

viper is offline Registered User

Sound Strategy? - Rams move up to pick Austin & Patterson

We all know that the Rams lack play makers on the offensive side of the ball. It is arguably our biggest area of need. What would your reaction be if the Rams went into the draft with the strategy of moving up to get Patterson or Austin at say no. 12 (whichever they thought would be the first to go) and grab the other one at 16?

According to the NFL Value Chart, we would have to give up one first round pick (no. 22 -780 points) and our second round pick (no. 46 - 480 points), totaling 1220 points, to move up to no. 12 which is worth 1200 points.

Would you see that as a sound strategy? Would you consider that the start to a great draft day or an epic fail? Why or why not.

I think I would be very happy with that outcome. We would still have picks in rounds 3 - 7 to fill other needs and between now and the start of the season to fill more needs.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Re: Sound Strategy? - Rams move up to pick Austin & Patterson

I wouldn't be totally opposed to moving up for Austin since he's a instant talent but Patterson will be a sort of a project and I don't think we'd move up fo that type of a player at this point. With that being said I feel we don't move up in the first round.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Wouldn't like it. To me, there isn't really anyone worth moving up for. This draft just does not have those lights out prospects. I wouldn't even shed the 2nd rounder to move to the #1 spot, not this year. I'd do it in next years draft (Jadeveon Clowney, Marqise Lee, Teddy Bridgewater/Tajh Boyd [if Sam regresses big]).

I'll stay put and play with how the draft falls to me.
    ZiaRam likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

Patterson will be there at 16 IMO and maybe at 22. Austin maybe gone at 16, that said we just have too many holes to move up IMO.

I'm thinking just the opposite to be honest and expect the Rams to move back with one of the first round picks.

Had to read that again, I would not to want move up to land both. Not sure I would take both at 16 and 22. If they did no one could say we are lacking weapons or at least making an effort.
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-24-2013 at 03:25 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Viper, I like the out-of-the-box thinking, but personally, I'd be very disappointed if this is the route they went. If they really want one of these guys, I think one of them (probably Patterson) will be there at #16. But if we spend our top 3 picks and come out with a pair of WRs, I think we've truly put our other needs in a deeper hole. If they want 2 receivers, I'd prefer get one with a top 3 pick, then look for another receiver in the middle of the draft.

Austin and Patterson are both good prospects, but I don't think they are such game changers that we need to be using our top 3 picks on them.

Just my opinion.
    ZiaRam likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    /Tajh Boyd [if Sam regresses big]).

Don't even say that!! -_-

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post

Austin and Patterson are both good prospects, but I don't think they are such game changers that we need to be using our top 3 picks on them.
    Dude you kidding me? You don't think Austin isn't a big game changer?
    Last edited by ZiaRam; -04-24-2013 at 03:42 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think that some of the stories about teams in the Top 15 potentially taking Austin are the result of smokescreens.

For example, a couple of days ago, there was a report that the Eagles really want to trade back. Today, Sal Paolantonio reported that he's hearing that the Eagles might take Austin at #4. I'm not buying it. I think this is just the type of false signal that teams send out in the hope of convincing a team that they need to trade up to get their man.

My hope is that the Rams ignore this stuff and let the draft come to them. If Austin's there at #16 (which I don't think is as unlikely as some seem to think it is), great. If not, there are other good options.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I find it amazing that people are discounting brian quick so badly and undervaluing both givens and pettis (to say nothing for the newly acquired and highly paid Cook), then assuming that a receiver we pick in round one is going to solve our problems. Calvin Johnson is not available in this draft, and never would be at 16 or 22. Rookie receivers are risky propositions. They take time to develop. Could we use another weapon? Absolutely. Do i want to start trading up to get one of these guys over another? Not a chance if it involves giving up anything that remotely resembles material asset value. A swap of 7th round picks? I am ok with that.

I continue to be strongly of the view that our receivers are going to look a lot better if our offensive line play improves.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Last edited by general counsel; -04-24-2013 at 03:47 PM.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I'm very opposed to trading up for Austin. Too many question marks to be worth the extra picks. If he's there when the Rams pick and they take him, I'm for it, but I don't think he's worth extra picks to acquire. The draft is deep, and no WR is the clear-cut best. We need those picks, and we can grab one of the other WRs if Austin is gone.
    Haste likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    Dude you kidding me? You don't think Austin isn't a big game changer?
    Not particularly. Austin is good, and he will improve the Rams offense. But I don't think he's someone that the Rams need to move up to go get.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I agree with our General Counsel.

Patterson may do very little in 2013.
    I have really high hopes for Givens. In 2013 I project 60 catches, 875 yards and 6 TDs.
    Quick is the question mark but honestly he had a redshirt season, we'll see what he does in July.

richtree is offline Registered User

I would love to hear why people think Austin will have an immediate impact and Patterson would not....

They have a lot of the same baseline attributes......so please explain your points and don't just repeat something that you think the media is trying to portray....

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I would love to hear why people think Austin will have an immediate impact and Patterson would not....

They have a lot of the same baseline attributes......so please explain your points and don't just repeat something that you think the media is trying to portray....
    Patterson has only one year of experience at Division I. His experience playing the position against top competition is limited, and he doesn't have much experience running complex route trees. It is reasonable to think he won't just jump in day 1 and be the best WR on the team, he'll need some time to learn. Every WR does, but it's especially true when that WR doesn't have a lot of experience at upper levels.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Patterson has only one year of experience at Division I. His experience playing the position against top competition is limited, and he doesn't have much experience running complex route trees. It is reasonable to think he won't just jump in day 1 and be the best WR on the team, he'll need some time to learn. Every WR does, but it's especially true when that WR doesn't have a lot of experience at upper levels.
    precisely so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast