Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Sources do not believe Cowboys will trade up for McFadden

The voices inside the Cowboys scouting department have changed in the past few months, but the message coming from the office toward owner Jerry Jones or coach Wade Phillips has remained consistent.

The Cowboys' scouts are preaching to go for singles and doubles and pass on the allure of the home run.

Make no mistake, running back Darren McFadden of Arkansas is a home run. NFL sources said they do not believe the Cowboys will trade up to acquire McFadden because they donít feel owner Jerry Jones wants to be in the top 10 because of the cost.

ButÖ McFadden appears to be a potential star and this seasonís Adrian Peterson, and Jones loves a splash.
    From the Star-Telegram...

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Sources do not believe Cowboys will trade up for McFadden

If they give up a good defensive player and their first round picks...trade with us.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'd be satisfied with just their two picks as those two picks will be much more easy to get under the cap than the #2 pick. Plus, chances are likely we'd be able to pick up both an OT and a DE with those two picks or wait on one and pick up a starting SS?

To be realistic, it's not going to happen. They're already projecting that they'll pick up McFadden's backup so that Jerry Jones can be happy with a Arkansas back.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Question: If the Cowboys, or any other team for that matter, were to trade up to grab McFadden, why would they trade with Miami or us when they know they could almost certainly grab McFadden at #3-#5, depending on who's drafting in those spots?

So even if the Cowboys were keen on McFadden, I'm not sure it would necessarily benefit the Rams. Just a thought...

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    Question: If the Cowboys, or any other team for that matter, were to trade up to grab McFadden, why would they trade with Miami or us when they know they could almost certainly grab McFadden at #3-#5, depending on who's drafting in those spots?

So even if the Cowboys were keen on McFadden, I'm not sure it would necessarily benefit the Rams. Just a thought...
    Clearly my question will expose my ignorance, but why couldn't the Rams take McFadden with the second pick and the Cowboys take their picks at 22 and 28 (with our input of course), and then we trade the players to each other? We would likely get the OL and DL players via the Cowboys picks at a price we could afford.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Chris58 View Post
    Clearly my question will expose my ignorance, but why couldn't the Rams take McFadden with the second pick and the Cowboys take their picks at 22 and 28 (with our input of course), and then we trade the players to each other? We would likely get the OL and DL players via the Cowboys picks at a price we could afford.
    No idea why we'd do that. What if the players we want go before the Cowboys' pick? Then we're either stuck with McFadden or players we don't prefer. Taking a guy and then counting on another team to take other players who may not be there doesn't seem wise to me.

The only reason this kind of deal worked in 2004 was because the teams involved(SD and Jersey/A) were so close in terms of picks, the main players involved were both quarterbacks, and one who declared that he would not play for one team. One other thing was two shrewd GMs that were able to get the deal done. None of these match our current situation and I truly think that if we actually took McFadden without a deal already in place, then we would be stuck with McFadden and would probably have to deal Jax below market value provided we haven't given him a new deal yet. Picking up McFadden will do nothing for us.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Clearly my question will expose my ignorance
    Don't sweat it, Chris. It's ALWAYS better for a question to expose one's ignorance than an answer.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, AM 1300 the Zone here in Austin had Jerry Jones on this morning and he said he wanted McFadden and is working on a deal right now to get him.

One thing about JJ, he let's it be known that the Cowboys aren't a democracy. Everyone could vote A but if he casts his vote for B....B it is.

Good find Tx, I don't suppose there's any text of that interview or some other report on it, eh?

I'd be perfectly happy to take the trade down if he wants to pay for it. Calais Campbell and a perfectly good OT will be available down there.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Naw....they stream their stuff but they don't have a text of it.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    No idea why we'd do that. What if the players we want go before the Cowboys' pick? Then we're either stuck with McFadden or players we don't prefer. Taking a guy and then counting on another team to take other players who may not be there doesn't seem wise to me.
    Yer right. Must have been drinking too much wine when I composed that ditty. I guess I was thinking about Eli and Peyton and how they were drafted and traded after the fact. It seemed to work out for SD. I was hoping we could trade McF to the Boys for couple of players or player and draftee we liked. But it was probably too much of a stretch.