View Poll Results: Run DMC a Ram for a 2?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!

7 35.00%
  • No...

13 65.00%
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rambunctious
  • 1 Post By richtree

Thread: Speculation: Raiders to dangle McFadden?

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Speculation: Raiders to dangle McFadden?

Per Rotoworld:

New offensive coordinator Greg Knapp is expected to install a zone-blocking scheme in Oakland.
    Darren McFadden never flourished under former coach Tom Cable's zone-blocking scheme, only emerging once Hue Jackson molded the offense to his strengths. ESPN's John Clayton suggests the Raiders will have to decide whether to re-sign free agent Michael Bush or trade McFadden this offseason. Knapp has been a decidedly run-heavy play-caller, though it's odd that the Raiders are now installing an offense that won't cater to the skills of its most dynamic player. Beat writer Steve Corkran suggested last week that McFadden could be dangled as a trade chip for new GM Reggie McKenzie.
    Now this is complete SPECULATION. I am not twisting words or anything just reporting some speculative talk.

McFadden, while injury prone, is only 24 years old. He has shown an ability to, when healthy, be one of the best running backs in the league (in my humble opinion). We have stressed now that we will be engineering a two back system, and want to find a replacement for SJax. Some on this board want to use a 2 pick on a RB. One who will be unproven. With McFadden we know we are getting pro bowl talent. He will have the ability to be a complementary to SJ for a few years, and thus preserving his health before we let the dog off the leash when SJ inevitably breaks down. Say in 2 years...which McFadden will still be a young age of 26.

So Im proposing, if he is made available, the Rams trade their 2.1 to Oakland for McFadden.

Oakland doesn't draft until the fifth round. This trade IMO would put them in favorable position. They could then dangle that pick over night, and acquire more picks thus giving new GM Reggie McKenzie some actual ammo to work with.

Would you do this proposed speculative trade?

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Re: Speculation: Raiders to dangle McFadden?

McFaddin had skills... but I'd rather get Michael Bush in free agency. : )
    TekeRam likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Man, even with his injury history, I'd go after him. This past season, had he stayed healthy he was leading the league in rushing yards. The guys broke out the past 2 years and is a monster! Im not so sure about giving them our 2.1, thats such a big pick in my opinion. I'd definitely play around with the option though, perhaprs a 3rd and next years 3rd ish type deal.

McFadden in a Rams jersey would be gorgeous.

TekeRam is online now Registered User

In Madden, sure. In the real NFL, no way in hell. While I definitely respect the dude for what he can do. I also cannot support anything above a mid 3rd round pick for him. McFadden has not played a full year in his last four seasons. Four. He even had a two RB tandem this year and still got hurt. With the amount of salary we would have to pay him, we would have to play him about equally to Jax, which in turn would make him upset. Steven wants a guy who can give him a breather, not a guy who will come in and demand whole series for himself.

Jax likes being one of the last true workhorse backs, and no, I don't think he has 16 games of domination in him anymore. I do think that he can easily take over 10 or 12 if given 6 & 7 man boxes that Bradford can give him if we get receivers to catch the ball.

So back to McFadden. No no no no no! Michael Bush on the other hand... Rambunctious brings up a superb point!
    I believe!

richtree is offline Registered User

In real life Running Backs don't hold value....most of a short NFL life, and the game is more QB / WR oriented....

Some of the best RBs are later picks and the Offensive Line and build a good running back.....

Look at the Pats, Giants, Packers, Saints, etc....many successful teams w/o 1st round running backs or overpaying for a RB
    mde8352gorams likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

No way should we pay a valuable pick like #33 for McFadden. Look at the successful backs today like Arien Foster (undrafted FA) and the overpaid ones Jahvid Best (tradeback into round 1, now injured concussed I believe). Richtree said it best RB don't hold value. We would be best served drafting a RB in round 3 or later. Doug Martin, Boise State had a great Senior Bowl whom I wouldn't object to in round 3. But truthfully we have more pressing needs than a RB back-up to S-Jax. So I wouldn't go after McFadden who will cost a bunch of money we don't have this year.

Go Rams!

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

not for 2.1 no way. He's missed 19 games in 4 seasons. Imagine how many he would of missed as a full time back those first 2 years.

No thanks to a RB who plays 10 games a season.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    not for 2.1 no way. He's missed 19 games in 4 seasons. Imagine how many he would of missed as a full time back those first 2 years.

No thanks to a RB who plays 10 games a season.
    He is a full time back.. the only time Michael Bush plays is when he goes down, other than the occasional 3rd down and breather.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

I wouldn't mind picking him up. But like others, not a big fan of 2.1 for him.

Right now RB is least of our problems (atleast for now). And when we can pick up a solid starter (assuming we draft right) with that 2.1, lets do that instead of trying to create a 2 head beast running game in a passing league. We can easily pick up a 3rd down/change of page back this year in FA.

These are the none-elite/great rbs available this offseason:

Chester Taylor (ARZ)
    Jason Snelling (ATL)
    Jerome Felton (CAR)
    Tashard Choice (DAL)
    Sammy Morris (DAL)
    Spencer Larsen (DEN)
    LenDale White (DEN)
    Maurice Morris (DET)
    Kevin Smith (DET)
    Derrick Ward (HOU)
    Jackie Battle (KC)
    Thomas Jones (KC)
    Le'Ron McClain (KC)
    Steve Slaton (MIA)
    Kevin Faulk (NE)
    LaDainian Tomlinson (NYJ)
    Rock Cartwright (OAK)
    Ronnie Brown (PHI)
    Owen Schmitt (PHI)
    Mewelde Moore (PIT)
    Jacob Hester (SD)
    Justin Forsett (SEA)
    Moran Norris (SF)
    Jerious Norwood (STL)
    Cadillac Williams (STL)
    Earnest Graham (TB)
    Ahmard Hall (TEN)
    Tim Hightower (WAS)

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    He is a full time back.. the only time Michael Bush plays is when he goes down, other than the occasional 3rd down and breather.
    uh no he wasn't. He averaged 108 rushing attempts his first 2 years. So unless 9 rushing attempts a game is a full time back he wasn't a full time back.

yes he was a full time back the last 2 years but he still wasn't a 20-25 carry guy. He was more a 15 carry a game guy. Either way it's not worth the first pick of the 2nd round to get a guy who can't stay healthy even as a 10-15 carry a game back.