throwback week

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Sports Illustrated's Mock Draft

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...rt1/index.html

Mock Draft No. 1
    An early look at the upcoming rookie class

Pick Team Pos. Player College Class Ht. Wt.

1 Raiders QB JaMarcus Russell LSU Jr. 6-6 260
    If it were my call, the pick would be Notre Dame's Brady Quinn, who has the track record you're looking for in a quarterback. But the early word is that the Raiders are ga-ga over Russell's size and big arm.

2 Lions QB Brady Quinn Notre Dame Sr. 6-4 228
    The Lions are sending out plenty of smoke signals that the pick could be Clemson DE Gaines Adams or Wisconsin OT Joe Thomas. But don't be stupid, Matt Millen. You take Quinn, have him sit and watch Jon Kitna play for a year, and hand him the ball in 2008.

3 # Browns OT Joe Thomas Wisconsin Sr. 6-8 315
    The Browns and Bucs coin flip at the NFL Combine for the No. 3 and 4 spots could be huge. For now, we'll give the Browns Thomas, this year's premier offensive lineman. Cleveland's OL had trouble from day one of training camp in 2006.
    (# -- Coin flip at NFL combine between Browns and Bucs for No. 3 pick)

4 # Buccaneers WR Calvin Johnson Georgia Tech Jr. 6-5 235
    If one of the top two quarterbacks should linger, Tampa Bay might bite. But there would be no delay in turning in the card for Johnson at No. 4. He's the draft's can't-miss offensive talent.
    (# -- Coin flip at NFL combine between Browns and Bucs for No. 3 pick)

5 Cardinals DE Gaines Adams Clemson Sr. 6-5 260
    The Cardinals should have their choice of defensive stars: Adams, Arkansas DE Jamaal Anderson or Michigan DT Alan Branch. Those three could come off the board in order at 5-6-7.

6 Redskins DE Jamaal Anderson Arkansas Jr. 6-6 280
    Gregg Williams' defense hardly breathed on opposing quarterbacks in 2006, so Anderson's edge rushing skills should look pretty appealing to the Redskins.

7 Vikings WR Ted Ginn, Jr. Ohio State Jr. 6-0 180
    Brad Childress comes out of the Andy Reid school of thinking that you build a team from the inside out, concentrating on your lineman first. But Minny's anemic offense needs playmakers at receiver, and Ginn's speed is enticing.

8 Texans RB Adrian Peterson Oklahoma Jr. 6-2 220
    See, there was a plan after all. No Reggie Bush? No problem. Peterson is this year's elite runner and should end the Texans' backfield problems. Now, about that snub of Vince Young ...

9 Dolphins DT Alan Branch Michigan Jr. 6-6 330
    The Dolphins defense is getting older by the minute, and Branch is a top-rated lineman who's big enough at 6-5, 330 to play on the nose, and athletic enough to shift to end when needed.

10 Falcons WR Dwayne Jarrett USC Jr. 6-5 210
    We know this might be a bit high for Jarrett, but as even Falcons owner Arthur Blank has noted, Atlanta doesn't have any receivers who can catch the ball. If you're giving Michael Vick one last shot, at least find him a go-to guy other than Alge Crumpler.

11 ***** S Reggie Nelson Florida Jr. 6-1 195
    Nelson stands out as a prospect who can handle both skill sets that are required of top-flight safeties in the NFL. He can hit, and he can cover.

12 Bills CB Leon Hall Michigan Sr. 5-11 195
    We'll go straight need pick here, giving the Bills the draft's top-rated cornerback in anticipation of them losing Nate Clements in free agency. Hall is a proven performer.

13 Rams DT Amobi Okoye Louisville Sr. 6-1 315
    Okoye blew people away during Senior Bowl workouts this week. He weighed in a little light at 287 pounds (down from 305), but his blend of speed and athleticism makes him a disruptive force in the middle.

14 Panthers DE Adam Carriker Nebraska Sr. 6-6 295
    If Mike Rucker has indeed played his last game as a Panther, Carriker would fit nicely lining up opposite of left end Julius Peppers. His stock is expected to rise after his Combine workout. LSU safety LaRon Landry would be another solid option.

viper is offline Registered User

Re: Sports Illustrated's Mock Draft

"13 Rams DT Amobi Okoye Louisville Sr. 6-1 315"

That works for me if he can get his weight up. With Carriker right behind him at 14, according to this mock, we may have the options we were looking for in the 1st. However our 1st pick goes I am confident that we'll get someone that can contribute right away.

smizzhfx Guest

A lot can change between then and now so I like that our options are open.

What does any one know about Tank Tyler? He seems to be improving his stock because a lot of guys had him as an early second rounder and apparently he's creeped into the mid-to-late first round. He looks like a solid NT that the Rams are looking for.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by smizzhfx View Post
    What does any one know about Tank Tyler? He seems to be improving his stock because a lot of guys had him as an early second rounder and apparently he's creeped into the mid-to-late first round. He looks like a solid NT that the Rams are looking for.
    He could be an option, but I'm not convinced his stock has crept up that high yet. Based on the Senior Bowl reports I've read, it sounds as if he measured in with some intriguing numbers but was inconsistent through the practices, specifically early on.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by smizzhfx View Post
    A lot can change between then and now so I like that our options are open.

Here's where SI placed some of the others people have mentioned as our possible first round choice:

25 Jets DT Tank Tyler North Carolina State Sr. 6-2 310
    The Jets made due with veteran Kimo von Oelhoffen on the nose last season, but Tyler would give them a prospect to groom at that key position.

26 Eagles OLB Lawrence Timmons Florida State Jr. 6- 230
    The Eagles need to upgrade at linebacker and Timmons is a great athlete who could step right into the outside spot that Dhani Jones manned in 2006.

28 Patriots ILB Patrick Willis Mississippi Sr. 6-2 240
    If the Patriots go receiver with their first No. 1, they're almost certain to spend their second on an inside linebacker who can replace either Bruschi or Junior Seau, allowing Mike Vrabel to shift back outside.

31 Colts * OLB Paul Posluszny Penn State Sr. 6-2 238
    If the Colts lose weakside linebacker Cato June in free agency as expected, finding his replacement becomes job one. Posluszny is an active, play-making presence who fits best on the weak side in the Colts' "Tampa 2" defensive scheme.
    (* -- Depends on Super Bowl)