Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    TKnight39 is offline Registered User

Re: St. Louis Rams like what they see in Aaron Curry

Draft Curry in the 1st...get OT in the 2nd. I'll be happy!

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    He won't be there if we trade down a few spots. If we pass on him, he will be (as Bar-BQ pointed out) a Chief. They are making the switch to 3-4 and need LBs, especially one with the versatility, safety, and potential of Aaron Curry. If he does not go at #2, he will go #3.

If you don't want to draft him because you feel OT is the bigger need, that's cool; I understand. However, there will be no trading back to get him. In fact, while it is not likely, it's not out of the question that the Chiefs trade up to get him.
    I didn't think thats how it would go... I feel like the chiefs are going to go Offense at #3, either Crabtree if available or one of the OT's. I was thinking that we could make it to the 4 or 5 spot to get him if one of those teams wanted to move up for either a QB or WR.

Either way, I do think OL is our biggest need. But am dying for a new MLB.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

DJ I don't understand how you consider MLB a "minor need." If we are in fact moving Spoon outside, which Devaney has stated is the intended goal, that will mean we have exactly 1 starting caliber LB. Pisa isn't cut out for the other 2 LB spots, Draft is best suited as a backup, Culberson didn't impress anybody, and I doubt the sophmores are much more than depth/special teams guys. Moving Spoon to WILL is going to make better use of his natural abilities and will upgrade the LB unit. But that still leaves us with 2 holes to fill. Maybe we can get by with Draft or Culberson at SAM but we need the thumper in the middle. I believe Aaron Curry can do that better than anybody else in this draft. Crabtree would be nice, but I don't see WR being as pressing of a need as LB. And I'm not the worlds greatest expert on the draft but there seem to be some decent options we could get in the 3rd round that would help solidify our receiving corps.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

people get too tangled up in these.."you dont draft a Linebacker at 2nd overall" type theories based on draft history...you really think the best run franchises keep looking to the past for guidance?? i think not.

im yet to find anything out on Curry that i dont love about him..theres one special player we could see play for the Rams for the next 10 or so years.
    screw trying to pick the best out of a bunch with the OT`s...get Curry and trade back into the late first to pick Britton or Beatty,someone like that..if you cant then whatever..but take Curry whatever you do Billy D!

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The OT may or may not be deep; it's going to depend on the kind of run there is on OT in the first round. I anticipate both Smiths, Monroe, Oher, Beatty, and possible Britton being gone by the time our second round pick rolls around. In that case, the second round options aren't incredibly impressive.
    Jamon Meredith I think could be a great option if any of those guys don't fall

johnnyram is offline Registered User

The only thing i want out of a # 2 pick is someone to trade with us and give us a couple more picks. We need to much help across the board so the thought that we have to take a OT or a Wr or a MLB, if no team offers us trade we need to take the player that is the most athletic at their position. OT's play OT Curry will all over.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    5. Browns-Aaron Curry
    This is where is see Curry lands. I know the ***** is a beast but we have more needs.
    HE SAID *****, NOW THAT'S FUNNY!
    Last edited by HUbison; -02-24-2009 at 09:21 AM. Reason: edited for content
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    OMG!

Before when i was making the case for the all mighty one all u were saying there is a bigger need at OT. I even made the point that we would drop Holt and still u guys were sayin The way our OL is we need an OT.
    Notwithstanding, we also need a Middle Linebacker.

They're just much more pressing needs than Wide Receiver is. Simply, it's a case of need meets value and either way, we'd best fill your needs with the available value with Curry and, say Britton, or Monroe and the equivalent 2nd round MLB talent, of which there isn't much to speak of unless Laurinitis drops, than you would with Crabtree and Britton or, for example, USC's Clay Matthews.

Quote Originally Posted by djdeez
    All of yall were jockin on me the fact that "we should get the guy who will replace Pace."
    No, we weren't. You're looking to match need with value and in either scenario (speaking directly of Curry or Monroe/Jason Smith) you're doing that. Note that I'm not disputing the value of Crabtree, rather what's being suggested is that we need more desperately to consolidate the OL and find a true leader on defense.

That guy out of Wake Forest would also fill in a minor need. He would be a big hieght improvement over Witherspoon right? Yea. the big Aaron Curry is a whole 1/2 inch taller than the undersized Witherspoon at MLB.
    Physically, they're not entirely dissimilar. It is worth noting that Curry does carry fifteen pounds more girth. Moreover, Witherspoon's size didn't stop him from having great years in horns in 2006 and 2007 and I doubt height is the primary consideration in all of this. At 6'1" and 1/2, 254lbs, and running a 4.54 forty, he's more than equipped to play the mike in the pros.

I sick of jumping bandwagons now from Andre Smith to The next Jerry Rice to Eugene Moroe. And i sure will not go to that person out of Wake Forest.
    But you're content to jump back to Crrabtree? I don't see what difference it makes.

Im not trying to make the case for the Black Spiderman again im just trying to push accross a point that u guys did to me. We need to address our biggest need with the 2nd pick.
    I think you're underestimating what our needs are, specifically, at MLB. If indeed Witherspoon is to play the WLB position, we have nobody to fill the void.

The same cannot be said of the Holt situation. Though we will need a WR to step into his hefty shoes, the need just doesn't appear as great at this point in time. Should our WR's continue to underproduce, or if someone like Hakeem Nicks or Heyward-Bey were to fall to round two, and we've taken Smith or Monroe, I wouldn't hesitate pulling the trigger because the value is high and the need is admittedly there.

We don't need to address our biggest need with our first pick. That may well be the Center position, where we also have nobody. We need to find an apt combination of need and value. At the moment, Curry and either of the OT's appear to fit that bill the best.

harrydog is offline Registered User

I love a dominant defense so I almost always favor picking defensive players if there is the need at the position and if the player is worthy of the pick. I think we have the need for a MLB and I think Curry is worthy so I'd love to see him as our pick. If it's not Curry and we don't trade down, I think it has to be one of the OT's. I don't want Crabtree. I didn't really want him even before the injury.
    Two highly motivated, high character guys like Long and Curry could be the foundation of a great defense for the next decade.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    people get too tangled up in these.."you dont draft a Linebacker at 2nd overall" type theories based on draft history...you really think the best run franchises keep looking to the past for guidance?? i think not.
    The best run franchises don't usually have the second overall pick, so it usually doesn't come up for them. How much emphasis you want to place on history is up to you, but you can't completely ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Jamon Meredith I think could be a great option if any of those guys don't fall
    Personally, I'm really not sold on him having left tackle potential at the next level. I agree that Curry is a great prospect and I'd love to have him on the Rams. But realistically, there are more factors to consider than just that.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-24-2009 at 10:13 AM.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

He impresses me everyday too. I wouldn't be disappointed if we drafted him at #2. He also likes Chris Long alot. Hopefully these guys have similar motors.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

I don't care about position, we have plenty of holes, I just want Billy D and Spags to select a really good football player. At #2 overall we should be able to land one. Munroe, Curry, or J. Smith .. whomever our dynamic duo thinks is the best guy .. we can't afford to miss on any more high draft picks, and expect to climb out of the cellar in our division - not to mention competing on a level playing field with the rest of the teams in the league ..

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The best run franchises don't usually have the second overall pick, so it usually doesn't come up for them. How much emphasis you want to place on history is up to you, but you can't completely ignore it.
    i wasnt completely ignoring history atall...but when i hear stuff like he is not a 2nd overall pick rather a 4th or 5th with the only reason being given that "you dont draft LB`s that high" percieved from what history has said...i just aint buying that as a legitimate reason.

you right picking high in the draft doesnt often come up for well run teams...so isnt saying that "you dont draft a LB that high" based on the history of the draft the same as saying we should follow the example of badly run franchises that always seem to be picking high?
    as like you said the best run franchises dont usually have the second pick.

snookered!

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    I don't care about position, we have plenty of holes, I just want Billy D and Spags to select a really good football player. At #2 overall we should be able to land one. Munroe, Curry, or J. Smith .. whomever our dynamic duo thinks is the best guy .. we can't afford to miss on any more high draft picks, and expect to climb out of the cellar in our division - not to mention competing on a level playing field with the rest of the teams in the league ..
    agree 100% i am fully behind the pick Curry campaign,have been for what seems like ages now..but only as i think he is the B.P.A in the entire draft.
    i will support 100% whoever Billy D & Spags decide to pick,even if thats not Aaron Curry..i have faith in them to make the right move.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I am still a Crabtree man myself but I'm starting to weight towards the best player available stance

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast