Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: St. Louis Rams Mock Draft [3 Rds]: TRADE w/ Falcons, then go ALL OFFENSE!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: St. Louis Rams Mock Draft [3 Rds]: TRADE w/ Falcons, then go ALL OFFENSE!

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    I don't like taking three Oline men in a row. The Rams aren't going to start next year with three rookies on the line, that's asking for disaster.
    If they can beat out the veterans for the starting spots during camp, I see no reason why we can't have 3 starting rookie offensive linemen.
    Randart likes this.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

You would get a TON more than just Atlanta's #2 this year for that deal down.

At least their #1 in 2015, and probably ANOTHER high pick as well, probably a third.

Secondly, I am tired of trying to explain why Watkins is not what the Rams need, doesn't fit, and is not who they will actually take.

If Les Snead takes another WR that high, it's like admitting that ALL those other guys he drafted in the top four rounds were mistakes.

Besides, to keep Bradford alive 16 games, the Rams know where they have to draft.

They also know adding guys to STOP passing games is far more important t han more toys for an offense they scrapped five games into the season.

That wide open, three and four WR stuff is GONE. GONE GGNE, and thank God.

The cardinals have two high draft picks at WR, very good ones, one a Hall of Famer.

Guess what, they finished third in the division.

Atlanta has great receivers, and where are they now?

The Rams got some sizzle last draft, but fans are ALWAYS wanting that EVERY year.

They think you an just get lucky and find CB and OL, and then of course you cannot, so you have to vastly overpay free agenst that ruins your cap.

No sizzle this year is necessary. What the Rams need is steak and potatoes in round one and two, and lots of dealing down to fill more spots.

They can get a really good WR in round two this year, one that actually FITS what they need,.

Watkins is another Austin, without return skills or running skills out of the backfield.

H e is a bubble screen master, plays t hat go for four yards in the NFL.

Look at his whole body of work, not one bowl game against a terrible defense.

Where was he in games against really GOOD defenses? WHy is his YPC 140th in NCAA divII if he is so uncatchable. Where are the broken tackles, the crisp routes , the toughness over the middle, the ability to beat press coverage?

What about his CRIMINAL record, and the fact t hat he interviews like a 8 WOnderlich candidate.

Why was he just the #2 in 2012?

Why is he so mediocre in the red zone, looking at his splits.

Why are most of his yards on HIS side of the 50? Sounds like soft cover age in a lousy defense conference.

Even with that, others DWARF his numbers

And also, name some star NFL receivers that came out of Clemson.

He can run fast, and so could Trung Canidate, Tye Hill, Eric Crouch, Kevin Curtis, and Donnie Avery.

I have issued this challenge to the Watkins bandwagoners

Show me highlights where he broke tackles, blocked, beat tight press coverage, against an NFL calibre corner, or ran a great route against a double team, or leaped high OVER a DB to win a jump ball in the end zone. Show me a quick slant on a hot read where he takes a lick and hold on and doesn't leave the field banged up.

Show me great catches on badly thrown balls, and as you are watching on Youtube, notice how many of his "plays" are uncovered bubble screens, and how much he runs out of bounds.

Show me some catches in the rain or snow.

Sow me anything but a guy running staright ahead very fast after catching a -2 yard pass.

He had 101 catches t his year, and I bet 60 or 70 were bubble screens, another 20 on broken plays where he just ran around trying to get open after Boyd started scrambling.
    Barry Waller

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    Though I might tone down the word "ton," I agree the Rams would get more than a second round pick.

Secondly, I am tired of trying to explain why Watkins is not what the Rams need, doesn't fit, and is not who they will actually take.
    You're "tired of trying to explain" it?

Let's consider that statement. It seems to imply that you are 100% right (even though you clearly are expressing your own opinion which has not been verified by anyone in the Rams' front office), and that nobody has a right to disagree.

At this point, I'd say its too soon to tell. At this point last year, if someone had asserted that the Rams not only would target, but would trade up to obtain, Tavon Austin, you probably would have said they were crazy. Of course, that was before he ran like a drag racer at the Combine, and showed strong skills during his workouts.

If Watkins were to run a 4.30, I suspect the Rams would take a long look-see at him during the process. Perhaps, as you suggest, they'd conclude that he's not a fit, or that his character is questionable, or that there are better options.

The point is, you don't know what is going to happen, and you need to be a little more open to others' opinions.
    Mikey and Randart like this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Drafting 3 offensive lineman in the first two rounds might be a tad bit overkill, but its the quickest way to turn a position of weakness into one of strength. With no Safeties I feel good enough worth taking before the third round, I'd rather the Rams get value with their picks. Plus, with Gabe Jackson and Cyril Richardson coming in, the Rams would be able to let Saffold and Dahl go and instead use that money to fix the Safety position (Jairus Byrd or TJ Ward would be great on this team).

vanillasue is offline Registered User

All good points on Watkins, but what I like is the 3 OLs that are recommended. I think that if Fisher wants to road grade then he better upgrade that OL and big time. If we can trade down I would like to see 5 picks of OL,OL,RB,Safety,CB in the first 2 rounds and not necessarily in that order. If they don't want to replace the OC and insist on running the ball then upgrade the damn OL. Make a decision and go with it.
    Vinnie25 likes this.

Rawr is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Drafting 3 offensive lineman in the first two rounds might be a tad bit overkill, but its the quickest way to turn a position of weakness into one of strength.
    And from what I've seen and heard, that's the kind of thing our management likes to do (ex: draft Jenkins and Thompson, sign Finnegan). I'm definitely intrigued by what this would do to our offensive line, but I'd probably trade down again from #6 to grab some of those defensive players that we're interested in (Nix, Dix, a CB like Gilbert) along with an additional pick or two in the second or third.

Warner Pride is offline Registered User

Nice mock draft. Not sure how good Watkins is, but I for one have a hard time believing the Rams would use one of their first round picks on a receiver, unless said receiver is elite (ala Julio Jones or AJ Green).

I personally think a stud young safety is in order for the Rams in round 1, as it seemed to be the defenses Achilles heel this season. I also think a T will be taken with the other round 1 pick.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rawr View Post
    And from what I've seen and heard, that's the kind of thing our management likes to do (ex: draft Jenkins and Thompson, sign Finnegan)
    Well, except our secondary was one of the worst in the league. It's really putting all our eggs in one basket to basically use every high pick on the O-line. What if only one guys works out? What if none? Not that they wouldn't take 3 lineman, I just don't see using 3 of our top 4 picks on it.

If they can beat out the veterans for the starting spots during camp, I see no reason why we can't have 3 starting rookie offensive linemen.
    If we drafted three, we probably wouldn't sign anyone besides journeymen who we don't want starting anyway. That doesn't mean the rookies will be able to handle the load, it just means their backups are even less capable. No experience on the line is not a good thing to me.

rams8821 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post

At least their #1 in 2015, and probably ANOTHER high pick as well, probably a third.

If Les Snead takes another WR that high, it's like admitting that ALL those other guys he drafted in the top four rounds were mistakes.

Besides, to keep Bradford alive 16 games, the Rams know where they have to draft.

They also know adding guys to STOP passing games is far more important t han more toys for an offense they scrapped five games into the season.

That wide open, three and four WR stuff is GONE. GONE GGNE, and thank God.

The cardinals have two high draft picks at WR, very good ones, one a Hall of Famer.

Guess what, they finished third in the division.

Atlanta has great receivers, and where are they now?

The Rams got some sizzle last draft, but fans are ALWAYS wanting that EVERY year.

They think you an just get lucky and find CB and OL, and then of course you cannot, so you have to vastly overpay free agenst that ruins your cap.

No sizzle this year is necessary. What the Rams need is steak and potatoes in round one and two, and lots of dealing down to fill more spots.

They can get a really good WR in round two this year, one that actually FITS what they need,.

Watkins is another Austin, without return skills or running skills out of the backfield.

H e is a bubble screen master, plays t hat go for four yards in the NFL.

Look at his whole body of work, not one bowl game against a terrible defense.

Where was he in games against really GOOD defenses? WHy is his YPC 140th in NCAA divII if he is so uncatchable. Where are the broken tackles, the crisp routes , the toughness over the middle, the ability to beat press coverage?

What about his CRIMINAL record, and the fact t hat he interviews like a 8 WOnderlich candidate.

Why was he just the #2 in 2012?

Why is he so mediocre in the red zone, looking at his splits.

Why are most of his yards on HIS side of the 50? Sounds like soft cover age in a lousy defense conference.

Even with that, others DWARF his numbers

And also, name some star NFL receivers that came out of Clemson.

He can run fast, and so could Trung Canidate, Tye Hill, Eric Crouch, Kevin Curtis, and Donnie Avery.

I have issued this challenge to the Watkins bandwagoners

Show me highlights where he broke tackles, blocked, beat tight press coverage, against an NFL calibre corner, or ran a great route against a double team, or leaped high OVER a DB to win a jump ball in the end zone. Show me a quick slant on a hot read where he takes a lick and hold on and doesn't leave the field banged up.

Show me great catches on badly thrown balls, and as you are watching on Youtube, notice how many of his "plays" are uncovered bubble screens, and how much he runs out of bounds.

Show me some catches in the rain or snow.

Sow me anything but a guy running staright ahead very fast after catching a -2 yard pass.

He had 101 catches t his year, and I bet 60 or 70 were bubble screens, another 20 on broken plays where he just ran around trying to get open after Boyd started scrambling.
    --Your rant is dead wrong. Criminal record??? Give it a rest he had weed in a car when he was a freshmen which was actually a soccer plays. Kid has ZERO character issues.

--He has done some of his best work against the best teams. Please take a look at the UGA, USC, Auburn, OSU, and FSU games. He is VERY physical. I dont have the time to post all the videos but he routinetly runs over DB's and LB's.

--No one can match his acceleration or the way he snatches the ball from the air.

--Pretty good receiver came out of Clemson last year.

--He'd be a fine pick, even if we take him at #2.
    Rams Fan For Life:clanram: :clanram:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12