Rambos is offline Registered User

Are the St. Louis Rams shifting their NFL Draft strategy?

by Tim Klutsarits, St. Louis Rams Examiner

Every team in every sport faces two questions when ready to make a draft pick: Are we drafting for need or are we drafting for best available player?

The two schools of thought are you either fill your needs through drafting, or you draft the best available player and fill your needs through other means -- free agency, waivers etc. Since we have not experienced a draft under Rams GM Billy Devaney we don't really know what his draft strategy is. But there were some clues that came out of this weekend's NFL combine that lead me to believe that the Rams may go with Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry instead of the top offensive tackles available.

Every draft board in this country since the end of the season has had the Rams taking an offensive tackle, but things have changed. The first candidate for the number two pick overall -- OT Andre Smith (Alabama) -- was suspended from the Sugar Bowl then came to the combine out of shape and from all accounts had horrible interview sessions with both the media and team. Jason Smith (OT - Baylor) has been steadily moving up the charts since the end of the season but his strength has come into question. His workouts at the combine were not horrible but not off the charts. Smith bench pressed 225 pounds 23 times, which is good but not great for an offensive lineman.

The other tackle that is being thrown around is Eugene Monroe (OT-Virginia). He had a great workout and was a standout tackle at Virginia so he will be a top 10 pick most probably. Monroe for the record bench pressed 225 pounds 33 times, which is outstanding.

Now very quietly the Rams are floating the name Aaron Curry out there. Curry was a total stud in the ACC and did everything right at the combine. He had a terrific workout and the interviews with team officials went outstanding. By all accounts from every single source in the NFL, Curry is hands-down the best defensive player in the draft.

So now you're Rams GM Billy Devaney. You have three offensive tackles that haven't separated themselves. You have a stud linebacker prospect who has played mostly OLB in college but you really need a MLB. Add into the equation you have to make a decision on keeping Orlando Pace at tackle and on keeping WR Torry Holt in the next couple weeks or they count against your salary cap.

From my perspective I think you are going to learn a lot in the next few weeks on the Rams draft strategy. If the Rams let Orlando Pace go I think there is no choice but to select a tackle at #2. If they do keep Pace I think all options are on the board and you could see Aaron Curry become a Ram.

I am of the belief you are better off in the NFL picking best available player in the draft. We'll see soon if Billy Devaney is of that opinion

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Are the St. Louis Rams shifting their NFL Draft strategy?

Since we have not experienced a draft under Rams GM Billy Devaney we don't really know what his draft strategy is.
    We haven't experienced a draft under Devaney? While Devaney was promoted this year, I thought his fingerprints were certainly on our last draft class.

Jason Smith (OT - Baylor) has been steadily moving up the charts since the end of the season but his strength has come into question. His workouts at the combine were not horrible but not off the charts. Smith bench pressed 225 pounds 23 times, which is good but not great for an offensive lineman.

The other tackle that is being thrown around is Eugene Monroe (OT-Virginia). He had a great workout and was a standout tackle at Virginia so he will be a top 10 pick most probably. Monroe for the record bench pressed 225 pounds 33 times, which is outstanding.
    ...he mixed up the two tackle prospects...

It's an interesting article for sure, but I think Tim could benefit from some additional research or proof reading. As he points out though, Pace's situation could give us a good indication about what the Rams are thinking. It's hard to see us not going OT in the first if Pace isn't here. Even if Pace is here, OT in the first is still a strong possibility, but it also opens things up for other players.

tonyray05 Guest

Re: Are the St. Louis Rams shifting their NFL Draft strategy?

The draft is deep at OL this year lets get Curry, he will be an attitude changer for sure!!