RamWraith is offline Registered User

St. Louis Signs 10 Rookie Free Agents

Monday, April 25, 2005

By Nick Wagoner
    Staff Writer

Some might make the mistake of thinking that when the time runs out on the NFL Draft that teams are done adding to the roster. Actually, the draft is just the beginning of the roster tweaking.

St. Louis joined the fray of teams in search of undrafted free agents Monday, adding 10 players to the 11 it drafted during the weekend. Of course, there is no guarantee that these players will make the roster, but most get an opportunity to go to training camp and make their abilities known.

With the end of the draft comes time to find hidden gems who, for one reason or another, weren’t drafted. St. Louis spent most of its picks in the draft on offensive linemen and defensive backs, alleviating some of the worry about those positions. Most of the players signed Monday were brought in to fortify the defensive line after the team elected not to use any on the spot.

Among the defensive line additions were tackles Jeremy Calahan, Colby Clark and Matt McChesney and end Vontrell Jamison. Also joining the Rams on Monday are guard Zach Bray, linebacker Clifford Dukes, defensive back Keon Newson, receivers Dominic Robinson and Dominique Thompson and cornerback Duvol Thompson.

Rams General Manager Charley Armey said all of the players signed were considered as potential draft picks during the weekend. He pointed to a few as potential impact players at the next level.

Highlighting the group are tackles Clark and McChesney. Clark is 6’2, 295 pounds and McChesney checks in at 6’4, 292 pounds.

McChesney, who comes to St. Louis from Colorado, dealt with some injury and off the field problems while with the Buffaloes. He suffered a season-ending elbow injury as a freshman in 2000 and redshirted in 2002 because of an ankle injury. He had his best season when he was finally healthy in 2004, posting 59 tackles and seven sacks.

Clark made his reputation at Northwestern as an “Iron Man,” as he never missed a practice or game because of injury. He set a Northwestern record for starts with 47 and finished with 230 career tackles.

Dominique Thompson is another example of a player who spent his career at a small school, but played at a high level. He had a breakout year in 2004, catching 79 passes for 1,585 yards, but he is best known for his return skills.

Thompson averaged 22.2 yards per return on kickoffs for the Tribe during his senior year.

Bray was Texas Christian’s best offensive lineman last year and boasts excellent size at 6’3, 303 pounds. He was the team’s starting right guard for two years and holds the school bench press record at 635 pounds.

Calahan is a bit undersized for a defensive tackle, but he is quick off the ball and had a productive college career for Rice. He was one of the Owls’ best defensive players last year.

Dukes lined up at defensive end for Michigan State, but will probably move to linebacker for NFL purposes. He is big for a linebacker, but slightly small for a defensive end at 6’3, 270. He started for three years at defensive end for the Spartans, but struggled with a nagging thigh injury for most of the past two seasons.

Dukes has battled the thigh injury as well as a shoulder injury for most of his college career. In addition, he has also had some character issues off the field after being charged with four counts of assault and battery and two counts of aggravated assault in March of 2002. The charges ere eventually dropped, but probably enough to scare some teams away.

Jamison is an intriguing prospect out of Clemson because of his great size. He is 6’6, 277 pounds, a size that usually means he would line up inside. Jamison, however, plays on the outside because of his athletic ability.

After working as a backup for 2003, Jamison suffered a broken arm in August before the Tigers’ season began. He had 27 tackles as a junior. He is capable of playing end or tackle in the NFL, as he worked some at tackle for Clemson last year.

Newson is another defensive back that brings versatility to the Rams’ secondary. After the team drafted Ronald Bartell and signed Michael Stone and Michael Hawthorne, the need to have players who can play safety and corner has become more apparent. The young man from Bowling Green projects to safety more than cornerback in the NFL, but he can do either.

Newson’s best season came in 2003, when he posted 124 tackles as a safety. The biggest knock on Newson is his lack of speed, but he should at least push some of the other safeties for time in camp. He had 293 tackles and 10 interceptions in his career.

Robinson gives the Rams another competitor at the receiver spot and another Florida State player from this year’s class. He joins first-round choice Alex Barron and fourth-round selection Jerome Carter as the Seminoles’ representatives. Robinson posted 17 catches for 252 yards and a touchdown last season as the primary backup to Kansas City fourth-round selection Craphonso Thorpe.

Duvol Thompson comes to St. Louis as an undersized cornerback from an even smaller school. The former Pennsylvania Quaker played in the Hula Bowl and will get a chance to go against former opposing quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick in St. Louis.

Thompson was All-Ivy League as a senior after grabbing an interception and making 29 tackles.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Re: St. Louis Signs 10 Rookie Free Agents

[QUOTE=RamWraith]Monday, April 25, 2005

By Nick Wagoner
    Staff Writer

Bray was Texas Christianís best offensive lineman last year and boasts excellent size at 6í3, 303 pounds. He was the teamís starting right guard for two years and holds the school bench press record at 635 pounds.

Is that all he can Lift? well maybe he'll make the practice squad.
    Last edited by psycho9985; -02-02-2006 at 10:13 PM.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

[QUOTE=psycho9985]
    Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Monday, April 25, 2005

By Nick Wagoner
    Staff Writer

Bray was Texas Christianís best offensive lineman last year and boasts excellent size at 6í3, 303 pounds. He was the teamís starting right guard for two years and holds the school bench press record at 635 pounds.

Is that all he can Lift? well maybe he'll make the practice squad.
    Exactly Psycho...635 pounds, is that all you got? He's not even trying! Man, what a weiner!

P.S. In case Mr. Bray is listening, this is all a joke. Since you can bench-press me and most of my immediate family as well as a couple of cousins AT THE SAME TIME, I want you to know this is all done in good fun.
    Please don't kill me. Sincerely, HUbison
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

This iss one strong kid!........might be a good pick up! He could put Barron in 1 hand and Pace in the other and bench press the both of them!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mike do not make this kid mad!

general counsel Guest

Maybe he can summo wrestle with Incognito to release post practice tension. I have a very hard time imagining what 635 even looks like on the bar. I myself and struggling to get to 225, i intend to make it by mini camp if i dont tear my rotator cuff trying.

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    I have a very hard time imagining what 635 even looks like on the bar.

general counsel
    It looks like Kennedy on one side of the bar and Pickett on the other.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod