throwback week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    harrydog is offline Registered User

Re: Stack your board

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Exactly my point. Little is better against the run than most small DE's, but still not a true end container. To put edge rushers on both sides of the line is asking for trouble.......just ask the Colts, smallest DE's in the league and the worst D against the run. Size isn't everything (Hargrove was 280 and ran himself out of nearly every play), but it ain't nothing either.

Linehan would love to add an edge rusher who can provide a further complement to Little.

"That's why you don't get caught up in: 'You need a nose tackle,' " Linehan said. "If you've got a guy that can rush the passer just like a guy who can score touchdowns you're not going to pass that guy up."

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    Linehan would love to add an edge rusher who can provide a further complement to Little.

"That's why you don't get caught up in: 'You need a nose tackle,' " Linehan said. "If you've got a guy that can rush the passer just like a guy who can score touchdowns you're not going to pass that guy up."
    1. Never believe anything, and I mean A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G a team exec. says before the draft.

2. If Linehan truly believed that quote, Dwayne Jarrett would be our first pick.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

2. If Linehan truly believed that quote, Dwayne Jarrett would be our first pick.
    I'm not sure I follow you...

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    I'm not sure I follow you...
    Jarrett set all kinds of records for TDs. If Linehan really followed the concept that pass rushers and TD scorers couldn't be passed up regardless of position, the obvious choice would have to be Jarrett. Yet, I doubt it will be.

Another example might be Jarvis Moss. He's a great edge rusher, but I doubt we could take a luxury pick like Moss when the interior of our line is as messed up as it is.

Linehan can say whatever he wants, but a small edge rusher is more luxury than need, and he knows it.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

To put edge rushers on both sides of the line is asking for trouble
    I doubt that would be the strategy should we draft an edge rusher. He would likely be a situational pass rusher as part of a rotation at both DE positions. You would also have to assume that he'd be the heir to Little's spot on that line as well, because when Leonard retires, we're going to need that edge rusher.

just ask the Colts, smallest DE's in the league and the worst D against the run.
    Well I'm not sure that's a great correlation to draw. The Colts defense isn't one of the worst run defending teams in the league simply because of their defensive ends. Their entire defense is small and plays in a scheme that emphasizes speed or size and power. Those types of defenses (ours may fit that description really) are going to get run against with at least some success.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Jarrett set all kinds of records for TDs. If Linehan really followed the concept that pass rushers and TD scorers couldn't be passed up regardless of position, the obvious choice would have to be Jarrett. Yet, I doubt it will be.

Another example might be Jarvis Moss. He's a great edge rusher, but I doubt we could take a luxury pick like Moss when the interior of our line is as messed up as it is.

Linehan can say whatever he wants, but a small edge rusher is more luxury than need, and he knows it.
    It's not a pressing need but I don't think it's exactly a luxury either. I took Linehan's comments to mean that, although we need a nose tackle, he isn't locked into taking one if the right one isn't available to us at 13. If Branch or Okoye are there, we certainly take them over a pass rusher. But if they're gone and an Adams or Anderson are still there, you take the pass rusher rather than a Harrell or a Tyler both of who may be a reach at 13. You can address NT later in the draft, but I don't think you pass on a hard to come by pass rusher. Little won't keep going forever you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    The Colts defense isn't one of the worst run defending teams in the league simply because of their defensive ends.
    Not simply, but you know as well as I do, it is a factor in their run stopping problems.

The '06 Vikes had the best run stopping D in the league. And their DEs avg. 285 lb. compared to the Colts 255. The 2nd best 4-3 run stopping D, the Jags, have DEs avg. 280. Same with the #4 run stopping 4-3 team, the Fins.

The absolute best way to stop the run is build a true 3-4 defense. But as you, I, and others have noted, we just don't have the personnel to do it. So we have to have among other things: a cloggin NT, a gap filling MLB, and at least one anchor run stopping DE.

I doubt that would be the strategy should we draft an edge rusher. He would likely be a situational pass rusher as part of a rotation at both DE positions. You would also have to assume that he'd be the heir to Little's spot on that line as well, because when Leonard retires, we're going to need that edge rusher.
    In a mid round, fine. However, I'd like to see more productivity from our first pick than situational play, especially as a situational pass rusher. Unless we fix the run D, there won't be a 3rd and long situation for a pass rusher to even get into the game.

And yes, we do have to replace Little, but I think we're going to have to replace Kennedy and Glover even sooner.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Not simply, but you know as well as I do, it is a factor in their run stopping problems.
    Agreed, but the position you've presented thus far has basically emphasized the correlation between defensive end size and run stopping defense. It's a case you're still making in this very response. All I'm saying is it's not as simple as bigger DEs.

You mention the Vikings, but let's not forget they have one of the top DT duos in the league in Pat & Kevin Williams. Look at the Jags - Marcus Stroud and John Henderson are both Pro Bowl caliber players.

Do we need size at defensive end? Sure. But I think improving the interior is going to have a greater effect on our run D, and I don't think we should draw a correlation between small DEs and poor run defenses without also examining the bigger picture.

In a mid round, fine. However, I'd like to see more productivity from our first pick than situational play, especially as a situational pass rusher.
    Well, Mark Anderson got plenty of productivity as a situational pass rusher.

The bottom line is you draft in large part for the future, so I don't think you can hold it against a guy because he may not have as much immediate impact as you'd like. If that were the case, no one would ever take a QB high.

I agree that there will be other positions we'll have to replace first, but assuming those positions can't be addressed with adequate value, why not take a pass rusher? Judging from our sack numbers from ends not named Leonard Little, we could certainly use the help. And I definitely think Haslett will find a way to get talent on the field when the time is right.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Let me take a shot at a list.....
    (All Defensive List)

1. Anderson DE
    2. Branch DT
    3. Adams DE
    4. Okoye DT
    5. Hall CB
    6. Landry S
    7. Nelson S
    8. Moss DE
    9. Willis LB
    10. Carriker DT
    11. Timmons LB
    12. Houston CB
    13. Ross CB
    14. Reavis CB
    15. Meriweather S

Do we need size at defensive end? Sure. But I think improving the interior is going to have a greater effect on our run D, and I don't think we should draw a correlation between small DEs and poor run defenses without also examining the bigger picture.
    That's all I ever said. It's as if you're reading my mind.

I love the offseason. Nick and I are saying the same thing, but attempting to argue. Aren't message boards in March a thing of beauty?

MASSIVE Guest

1. Okoye
    2. Branch
    3. Adams
    4. Anderson
    5. Carriker
    6. Willis
    :l GO RAMS!!!:l

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Ah.. March. April tomorrow. Still, Autumny goodness in the southern hemisphere. 3 in the morning, Late April, this is how my board works;

Adam Carriker, DE/DT
    Alan Branch, DT
    Amobi Okoye, DT
    Jamaal Anderson, DE
    Laron Landry, S
    Gaines Adams, DE
    Paatrick Willis, LB
    Lawrence Timmons, LB
    Paul Pozluzny, LB
    Leon Hall, CB
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -03-31-2007 at 08:04 PM.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Alot of love for Carriker?

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Carriker
    Anderson
    Willis
    Adams
    Okoye
    Timmions

A lot of love for Carriker, he has the size, speed & versatility we need right now. As you have noticed I don't have Branch on my list, for the simple reason we have a NT of the same caliber as Branch (aka Kennedy), Branch reminds me to much of what we already have in Kennedy. Plus Kennedy has NFL experince

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12