AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Stafford Impresses At Georgia Pro Day

It was a circus atmosphere Thursday in Athens, Ga., for Matthew Staffordís much-anticipated pro-day workout.
    The Georgia quarterback did nothing to hurt his standing as one of the NFL Draftís top prospects. He was measured, and he threw for representatives of all 32 teams, including general manager Martin Mahew and quarterbacks coach Jeff Horton of the Detroit Lions, who own the top overall pick, as well as GM Tim Ruskell of the Seattle Seahawks, who have the fourth overall selection. In all, 70 scouts and coaches were on hand to watch Stafford and other Georgia prospects work out.
    While Stafford (6-foot-2 5/8, 225 pounds) chose to stand on his combine numbers, he did throw 50 passes in a scripted workout that was run at a quick pace. My sources on the ground in Athens all agreed that of the 50 passes, only three werenít thrown with accuracy. Stafford rolled out, threw deep comebacks Ö he threw everything.
    But the big thing is that Stafford showed a strong arm and good accuracy. His second-to-last pass was a 35-yarder down the right sideline and on the money to Demiko Goodman.
    What did I learn from Staffordís workout? That I wouldnít be worried about taking him with the No. 1 pick.
    If Stafford has one fault, itís that he throws the ball a lot like Brett Favre. Because he has such a strong arm and is such a great athlete, Stafford takes chances on throws that he shouldnít attempt. Itís not because he doesnít understand coverages. Itís just that he has superior confidence in arm and ability. Thatís a fault that can be corrected.
    Some say Stafford is an underachiever, but I think thatís an unfair label. He won at Alabama in overtime. You donít win those kind of games unless youíre a competitor.
    Ė Gil Brandt

This could be good news for the Rams. If Detroit decides that Stafford is their guy, that guarantees that the Rams will be able to draft the top player on their draft board (don't know who that is, but I'm confident it is not Stafford.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Re: Stafford Impresses At Georgia Pro Day

Man I hope Lions take Stafford.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Only thing that could make me happier than Monroe having a killer pro day is Stafford doing the same, as it's all the more likely that the Lions might feel they need to take him to satisfy the money that'll be given to their pick.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Shoot, why not draft him? We aren't winning in 2009 anyway might as well build for 2010

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Stafford is gonna be a real good one. It will be a real shame to have to pass on him at #2. I hope he's not there. Don't want to be kicking ourselves for the next ten years just because of Bulger's overpaid contract.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

The Rams have the luxury of drafting for need in every round, regardless of the position. They need people everywhere. We draft a QB in Round 1 cool. RB in Round 2 cool. WR in Round 3 cool. Whatever in the other rounds cool.

The Rams can draft for need and BPA at the same time. Charley Brown couldn't screw up this draft.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    Stafford is gonna be a real good one. It will be a real shame to have to pass on him at #2. I hope he's not there. Don't want to be kicking ourselves for the next ten years just because of Bulger's overpaid contract.
    That would especially hurt if he goes to Seattle and flourishes there. Bad enough we missed, but then even worse because we'd be stuck with him in our division.

And seeing as how Ruskell went to see him instead of going to see Monroe, it looks like he is hell bent on taking him at #4 if he's there.
    Last edited by Bald_81; -03-19-2009 at 07:59 PM.