Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    dave626 is offline Registered User
    Blog Entries

Re: A Stat That Suggests The Ram Should Draft Offensive Players

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

I think the Rams are essentially fielding half a unit of capable starters on either side of the ball, and thus, shouldn't make it a point to draft offensive players if it's at the expense of higher-rated defensive players on the board who also play at a position of need. If the best player on the board is an offensive guy, go for it. But if the best player on the board is a defensive player at the position of need, I'm not convinced we should pass on him simply because the offense may need more help.
    Totally agree, we need help everywhere

svh01 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dave626 View Post
    Totally agree, we need help everywhere
    We are so awful on both sides of the ball. We should take the BPA regardless, especially if he fills a need. Plus I really don't think we have done enough to help Bradford be successful anyway. Who's going to protect him and who is he going to get the ball too?

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Defensively, I think the Rams are set at five positions - RDE (Long), NT (Ryan), MLB (Laurinaitis), CB1 (Bartell), and FS (Atogwe). The Rams could use defensive upgrades at six positions - UT, LDE, OLB x2, CB2, and SS.

Offensively, I think the Rams are set at six positions - RB (Jackson), FB (Karney), WR2 (Robinson/Avery/Gibson), LT (Smith), LG (Bell), and C (Brown). Which means they could use offensive upgrades at five positions - QB, WR1, TE, RG, and RT.
    Butler, Diggs and Goldberg are serviceable players that should be backups. The problem is (as you stated) the Rams have 12 positions to fill / upgrade. These guys are players that we can run out there while the team upgrades the quality of talent overall.

I'm not ruling Fletcher out as the CB2.

Canadian Rams Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    We do? According to NFL.com, we had 543 (56.9%) pass attempts last season and 411 (43.1%) rush attempts. I don't know where that ranks in the NFL, but it doesn't strike me as particularly run heavy.

Wouldn't you agree that the 2000 Ravens were more the exception than the rule? They had arguably one of the best defenses in NFL history. Anything less and they wouldn't have made it that far. That team never made it back to the big game, either.

Getting back to the 2009 Rams, the argument is difficult because we're trying to determine the difference between bad and worse. I mean only 20th in time of possession is hardly a ringing endorsement. To me the most significant stat is that we scored an average of 10.9 points/game. We would have to have that 2000 Ravens defense (which allowed an average of 10.3 points/game) in order to win games with an offense like that.
    Thanks for the reply goldenfleece. I do agree that the 2000 Ravens were a special team I used them as an example because they were the first to pop in my head.

That team did not have a superstar quaterback, but a good game manager and they made it happen. My point being that history shows that their alot of top rated quaterbacks that end up being busts.

If we look at drafting Ndamukong Suh he not only makes our defence instantly better because U.T is the biggest hole in the defence, but because the Rams would be looking at more 3rd and long instead of 3rd and short.

The Rams year after year get burned in the run game because they can not seem to stop the run. The past three seasons they have ranked in the bottom tier of the league against the run. I.M.O if you have a good run stuffer such as Suh in the middle to help stop the run he instantly makes your pass rush better with providing more oppurtunities on 3rd and long and by commanding double teams allowing your pass rushers to compete more one on one.

Thus allowing the Rams to focus mostly the remainder of their picks on offence to make the offence better which will also help the defence by keeping off the field a little more. Like you said they only averaged 10.5 points per game and how many times has the defence even kept them up in great field position and they still were not able to convert for points. I even remember Spags talking about working on the red zone offence because they could not capitalize on their oppurtunities they were often settling for field goals.

As for the stats providing that they were a more balanced team, great argument by the way because the stats do not lie. However, this statistic fails to show how many times the Rams fell behind by more than two touchdowns and how often it occured which meant Spags and company could not follow the game plan as much and had to change to more of a passing offence which was not their stenght last season, with the injuries and all.

I specifically remember Spags saying and I quote if we can keep the score close we feel we have an oppurtunity to win. Thus meaning he can stick to the game plan.

Do you not remember how relieved he was to hear that Steven Jackson was playing the next game after the game he missed all or most of because of his back injury.

I still believe this is a running team, but that they definetly want to keep it to a max of 60% run to 40% pass. I know they want to add some playmakers to attract some fans back, but also to help stretch the field.

This team runs the west coast offence which means it is alot of short to intermediate throws thus meaning it is a shorter field to protect, by adding playmakers that can stretch the field it makes it easier for the offence to go to work on the defence with not having such tight coverages to work against on every play. This is why I believe that Colt McCoy is someone we should consider in the second round he is really good with the short and intermediate throws and really fits the system that they are running. His arm strenght comes into question but I have heard that he has descent arm strenght to make the deep throws.

Like I have stated before I like Bradford and I like Suh. I will be happy with whomever they pick. I just can not help but think that Suh will be a huge difference maker especially for this team this guy is a great pass rusher and very good run stuffer thus making the entire defence better almost instantly.

I believe every one hear has provided great arguments to show that their are more holes on the offence than the defence this team needs some help, but I will never ever stop supporting them or being a fan.

Here is to a great upcoming draft I must admit this one has me on pins and needles I can not wait to see who they choose.

Go Rams 2010

lostsoul is offline Registered User

You cant win if you dont score points, no matter how good your defense is.

Ventesette is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Rams Fan View Post
    Thanks for the reply goldenfleece. I do agree that the 2000 Ravens were a special team I used them as an example because they were the first to pop in my head.

That team did not have a superstar quaterback, but a good game manager and they made it happen. My point being that history shows that their alot of top rated quaterbacks that end up being busts.

If we look at drafting Ndamukong Suh he not only makes our defence instantly better because U.T is the biggest hole in the defence, but because the Rams would be looking at more 3rd and long instead of 3rd and short.

The Rams year after year get burned in the run game because they can not seem to stop the run. The past three seasons they have ranked in the bottom tier of the league against the run. I.M.O if you have a good run stuffer such as Suh in the middle to help stop the run he instantly makes your pass rush better with providing more oppurtunities on 3rd and long and by commanding double teams allowing your pass rushers to compete more one on one.

Thus allowing the Rams to focus mostly the remainder of their picks on offence to make the offence better which will also help the defence by keeping off the field a little more. Like you said they only averaged 10.5 points per game and how many times has the defence even kept them up in great field position and they still were not able to convert for points. I even remember Spags talking about working on the red zone offence because they could not capitalize on their oppurtunities they were often settling for field goals.

As for the stats providing that they were a more balanced team, great argument by the way because the stats do not lie. However, this statistic fails to show how many times the Rams fell behind by more than two touchdowns and how often it occured which meant Spags and company could not follow the game plan as much and had to change to more of a passing offence which was not their stenght last season, with the injuries and all.

I specifically remember Spags saying and I quote if we can keep the score close we feel we have an oppurtunity to win. Thus meaning he can stick to the game plan.

Do you not remember how relieved he was to hear that Steven Jackson was playing the next game after the game he missed all or most of because of his back injury.

I still believe this is a running team, but that they definetly want to keep it to a max of 60% run to 40% pass. I know they want to add some playmakers to attract some fans back, but also to help stretch the field.

This team runs the west coast offence which means it is alot of short to intermediate throws thus meaning it is a shorter field to protect, by adding playmakers that can stretch the field it makes it easier for the offence to go to work on the defence with not having such tight coverages to work against on every play. This is why I believe that Colt McCoy is someone we should consider in the second round he is really good with the short and intermediate throws and really fits the system that they are running. His arm strenght comes into question but I have heard that he has descent arm strenght to make the deep throws.

Like I have stated before I like Bradford and I like Suh. I will be happy with whomever they pick. I just can not help but think that Suh will be a huge difference maker especially for this team this guy is a great pass rusher and very good run stuffer thus making the entire defence better almost instantly.

I believe every one hear has provided great arguments to show that their are more holes on the offence than the defence this team needs some help, but I will never ever stop supporting them or being a fan.

Here is to a great upcoming draft I must admit this one has me on pins and needles I can not wait to see who they choose.

Go Rams 2010
    One thing to keep in mind about the 2000 Ravens is that their non-superstar "game manager QB" was a #6 overall pick in the draft.

The Rams run D wasn't so pathetic in ypc. It was the TDs that were way out of line. You expect to be near the bottom in ypg when you are losing that much because teams won't bother to pass.

Personally you can put me in the Suh camp because I just think he's a more special prospect than Bradford. However, if you have them both rated that highly you always take the QB. They just impact the game way more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventesette View Post
    One thing to keep in mind about the 2000 Ravens is that their non-superstar "game manager QB" was a #6 overall pick in the draft.

The Rams run D wasn't so pathetic in ypc. It was the TDs that were way out of line. You expect to be near the bottom in ypg when you are losing that much because teams won't bother to pass.

Personally you can put me in the Suh camp because I just think he's a more special prospect than Bradford. However, if you have them both rated that highly you always take the QB. They just impact the game way more.
    How were they not so pathetic when they were if not dead last before last in the league in ypc defence last year. Averaging anything above 100 yards per carry is unacceptable in my books. How can you expect to be succesful with this kind of run defence is beyond me. They were averaging near 150 ypc allowed the last two seasons.

Go Rams 2010

berg8309 is offline Registered User

They were averaging near 150 ypc allowed the last two seasons.
    150 YPC!? YIKES! Did the other team start 50 yards behind their own goal line just for fun?

Ventesette is offline Registered User

How were they not so pathetic when they were if not dead last before last in the league in ypc defence last year. Averaging anything above 100 yards per carry is unacceptable in my books. How can you expect to be succesful with this kind of run defence is beyond me. They were averaging near 150 ypc allowed the last two seasons.

Go Rams 2010
    They were not near last in the league in ypc. They were tied for tenth at 4.4 ypc. The Super Bowl champs were a tenth worse, the runnerups a tenth better. The Pats, Chargers and Panthers gave up 20 points or less per game and the Cards, Bills and Broncos all were considerably under 21 ppg with the same or worse ypc.

They didn't give up 150 ypg either. It was 137 and change, some 20 yards better than league worst. They were 6th worst in the category. Not surprising, considering they were always behind and their O didn't have other teams scared the Rams would catch up. They were 8th worst in pass yards per game. It shows you one thing. They simply weren't very good overall.

FWIW, the pass offense was fifth worst in the league and Bulger a horrid 29th in ypa. Pass offense was probably the #1 weakness on the team.

They have many needs and I'd go BAP. You can't fill every hole, but you get a few very good players and some of the stop-gaps won't be quite so bad.
    Last edited by Ventesette; -04-19-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventesette View Post
    They were not near last in the league in ypc. They were tied for tenth at 4.4 ypc. The Super Bowl champs were a tenth worse, the runnerups a tenth better. The Pats, Chargers and Panthers gave up 20 points or less per game and the Cards, Bills and Broncos all were considerably under 21 ppg with the same or worse ypc.

They didn't give up 150 ypg either. It was 137 and change, some 20 yards better than league worst. They were 6th worst in the category. Not surprising, considering they were always behind and their O didn't have other teams scared the Rams would catch up. They were 8th worst in pass yards per game. It shows you one thing. They simply weren't very good overall.

FWIW, the pass offense was fifth worst in the league and Bulger a horrid 29th in ypa. Pass offense was probably the #1 weakness on the team.

They have many needs and I'd go BAP. You can't fill every hole, but you get a few very good players and some of the stop-gaps won't be quite so bad.
    I have to agree with the notion that you draft best player available, however I do believe that need creeps in there.

I believe the rams will trade out to grab more picks if their player they covet will be available at a later pick just to plug some more holes. As we both agree upon this team has many needs to fill.

I only believe this will happen in the middle rounds and very much doubt they will trade out of the first overall pick.

I think we can both agree that this team needs help in the middle of that defence with the supporting stats of ypg allowed vs the run.

Go Rams 2010

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I don't know how people can instantly assume that Suh will be an immediate impact. Using your logic, I guess I can also state:

Drafting Sam Bradford not only makes our offense instantly better because QB is the biggest hole in the offense, but because the Rams would be looking at more 3rd and short instead of 3rd and long.

You could also then state that year after year our offense has been putrid because we can't seem to get our passing game going. Then, IMO if you have a good QB such as Bradford to help in the passing game, and be the new franchise QB, he instantly makes your offense better due to his amazing talent, which makes the opposing defenses have to respect our passing game?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123