RedArcher7 Guest

Status on Bartell and Butler

I'm assuming Bartell left NO without a contract. The things I've seen said he's already visited and is back to talking with the Rams. Anyone got anything about his current status? He's supposed to go to Detriot, and possibly Denver if they want to put up enough money for him. I can't find anything that says what New Orleans offered him or what he's looking for. What's up with this kid is he coming back to the city?

Secondly, is Butler still at the table trying to hammer a deal out? Or did they call it a night and they're gonna pick up tomorrow?

Saint Richard Guest

Re: Status on Bartell and Butler

Archer, it's my understanding that Bartell will be in New Orleans through Saturday morning, but his representatives are still talking with St. Louis.

It's my belief that the Saints cannot afford to get in a bidding war for Bartell and he will likely re-sign with the Rams after finding out what New Orleans is willing to pay. In other words, I think he will give St. Louis an opportunity to match or beat the Saints' offer, meaning he will remain with the Rams.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Richard View Post
    Archer, it's my understanding that Bartell will be in New Orleans through Saturday morning, but his representatives are still talking with St. Louis.

It's my belief that the Saints cannot afford to get in a bidding war for Bartell and he will likely re-sign with the Rams after finding out what New Orleans is willing to pay. In other words, I think he will give St. Louis an opportunity to match or beat the Saints' offer, meaning he will remain with the Rams.
    I hope your are right about that one

If we can keep Bartell it would save my day (together with the brown signing). If we could Butler on top it would be to good to believe

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i must say im more optimistic about keeping Ron Bartell Jnr than i was when i first heard he was in N.O. just hope some team with better cap space doesnt enter the race as it seems like we could atleast match what the aints have to offer!

plus the fact that his agent is still in communication with Billy D...

RedArcher7 Guest

Till Saturday morning huh? I heard he was flying back Friday night to see what the Rams counter offer would be. I don't think the Rams want a bidding war either. He's apparently asking $8 mil a year. I don't want him for that, you Saints can have him.

Edit: You're right, I just found Yahoo saying he's staying.

Saint Richard Guest

Last I heard, Bartell was still in New Orleans at 3 pm. Of course, the longer he stays in New Orleans without leaving, the greater the chance that a deal will be reached with the Saints. However, I still think the phone lines have still probably been humming between the Rams and Bartell's people and if he leaves without a deal, the Rams will get him back.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    Till Saturday morning huh? I heard he was flying back Friday night to see what the Rams counter offer would be. I don't think the Rams want a bidding war either. He's apparently asking $8 mil a year. I don't want him for that, you Saints can have him.
    I'd pay him that much. He's far and away the best corner we've had in a long time, and he should be far and away one of our best defensive players long into the future. But I don't think he's asking for $8 Mill.

This from John Clayton.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton
    Unable to strike a deal Thursday night with the St. Louis Rams, Ron Bartell, one of the top cornerbacks in free agency, will visit the New Orleans Saints on Friday, according to a source.

The Saints contacted Bartell after the start of free agency at midnight Thursday. Bartell is trying to get a contract worth $7 million a year.
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -02-28-2009 at 10:49 PM.