throwback week

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Steelers open to trading Roethlisberger, but Rams not interested ..

By Jason La Canfora | NFL.com

The Pittsburgh Steelers have stepped up their efforts to trade two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who received a six-game suspension Wednesday for violating the NFL's personal-conduct policy.

The Steelers had a brief conversation with the St. Louis Rams over the weekend, according to a league source, but the Rams weren't interested in taking on Roethlisberger. The Steelers wanted to send Roethlisberger to the Rams as part of a package to move up to No. 1 overall in this week's draft and select Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford.

The Steelers remain open to dealing Roethlisberger, but they want decent value in return. Given the six-game suspension and the limited interest in Roethlisberger, team sources now view a deal as extremely remote, if not impossible. They never viewed it as likely from the onset, but they were extremely open to it.

If the Steelers were somehow able to unload Roethlisberger, his new team would have to take on his suspension.

The Steelers prepared for Roethlisberger's suspension Tuesday by acquiring quarterback Byron Leftwich from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in exchange for a seventh-round pick (225th overall). Leftwich was Roethlisberger's backup during the Steelers' 2008 Super Bowl championship season and could be a fill-in starter.

The Steelers also have longtime backup Charlie Batch and third-year pro Dennis Dixon under contract at quarterback. Batch has been injured each of the past two seasons. Dixon has started only one NFL game, but he likely would compete with Leftwich in training camp to be the early season starter.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Re: Steelers open to trading Roethlisberger, but Rams not interested ..

A little strange how Goodell changed his mind about when he'd announce his decision on Bad Ben ( his new name for me; although a phallic symbol like the London clock tower seems ever more appropriate). Wasn't this supposed to happen after the draft?

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    A little strange how Goodell changed his mind about when he'd announce his decision on Bad Ben ( his new name for me; although a phallic symbol like the London clock tower seems ever more appropriate). Wasn't this supposed to happen after the draft?

Maybe he decided any team interested in trading for Ben wouldn't be interested in dealing picks until they knew the suspension.

molar_pistol Guest

regardless of whether he's available i want nothing to do with this guy and this time i'm glad we're not showing any interest.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Maybe he decided any team interested in trading for Ben wouldn't be interested in dealing picks until they knew the suspension.
    And since when is it The Commissioner's job to make it easier for a team to trade a guy? He's their Frankenbeans; let The Steelers face the torch-carrying villagers.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    And since when is it The Commissioner's job to make it easier for a team to trade a guy? He's their Frankenbeans; let The Steelers face the torch-carrying villagers.
    Well it's what makes the most sense to me, and why wouldn't he have an interest? Part of his job is to ensure people are interested in the league. Clearing the way for Big Ben to be traded during the draft creates another storyline. And what his suspension might be was definitely an obstacle.

Edit: On another note, the player's union may have pressured him to go ahead and make the suspension so that Big Ben could move on to his next team, and they realized that it will be easier during the draft then after it. Just speculating.
    Last edited by berg8309; -04-21-2010 at 05:23 PM.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

The Jets have been taking on players with Baggage ,, i think bad ben would complete the team. Sanchez is good, but he ain't in Bens league ... no matter what is off-field record is like.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Look the NFL is a business and everyone gets a second chance. If I am the Rams I am interested in basically trading Suh or Bradford for Big Ben right now. You get a proven NFL superstar qb instead of an unknown might be player. Bradford might be a bust,he might be average or he might be great. We already know what Ben is. Sure he allegedly groped a couple of chics but has not been convicted of anything. I'd love to see the Rams get Big Ben, but on one condition. We still get their 17th overall pick and their 3rd round pick as well. Is that asking a lot? Of course it is but the Steelers obviousley want to unload Ben so why should we just trade with them straight up. All of you guys are screaming for a great qb with great pocket awareness well Big Ben is exactly that. He takes a lot of sacks but he avoids a lot of sacks just like in the Superbowl vs Arizona. Big Ben is everything minus the off field stupidness the Rams need at qb. I'm sure after the latest scare he would clean up his act and become a huge star in St. Louis.

Sure a lot of people would hate this untill the Rams started winning. Winning makes people forget a lot of things. Little was forgiven for killing someone and when he was sacking the qb not too many people were saying he shouldnt be out there he killed someone. Now if he wasnt getting sacks maybe his worth wouldnt be such a big deal. The NFL is a business and while they want these guys to be model citizens it just will never be 100 percent that way. Big Ben has not killed anyone and no one knows for sure if the women are even being honest about anything and arent just money grubbers. I say if the Rams can get him and land the 17th and their 3rd it's a done deal. Those of you saying no I want Bradford are crazy and if Ben came to St. Louis after his suspension and the Rams start winning all will be forgotten and forgiven.
    Just Fix It

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Unfortunately this was Roethlisberger's second chance. The media kind of brushed it under the rug, but these accusations have cropped up before. Enough so that anybody with a reasonable sense of pattern recognition figures that there is something to these accusations. That is why a reasonably large hammer was dropped on him by the league office.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Unfortunately this was Roethlisberger's second chance. The media kind of brushed it under the rug, but these accusations have cropped up before. Enough so that anybody with a reasonable sense of pattern recognition figures that there is something to these accusations. That is why a reasonably large hammer was dropped on him by the league office.
    Ok so now he's got a third chance. After what will end up being 4 game susepension because he will behave, can you honestly say you would rather have Bradford over Big Ben? I've seen what Big Ben can do in the NFL and know he is a star. I have no idea and neither does anyone else what any of the draft picks will turn out to be. Even Brian Billik called the draft a crap shoot. If we still got the Steelers 17th pick plus Big Ben and maybe a 3rd rounder you wouldnt be interested?
    Just Fix It