Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Stephen Hill?

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

Stephen Hill?

Anyone think stephen Hill would be a good pick up for us? His times were amazing at the combine and seems to have reliable hands, i Think going for him rather than Blackmon would be better. I maybe wrong but did anyone follow his college days? If so i would like to know about them and if he is as reliable as his combine shows.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Stephen Hill?

Very physically talented, great combination of size and speed. Developed well as a blocker in GTech's triple option offense, but at the expense of his developing as a receiver. He's not a guy that was asked to run the full route tree, and amassed only 49 career receptions at college. So he's a bit of a work in progress, but the physical skills are there, so he'll come off the board in the late first or early second round due to his potential and upside. In discussions about the position, he's one of the more frequent names to come up when naming receivers the Rams could target in Round Two if they miss out on Blackmon @ 6.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambos is offline Registered User

I would not mind if we took Blackmon and went all in and took Hill if he is there in the second. His speed and size is what we have not had on the Rams ever. If he runs the 9 route one or two DB's have to go with him down field. That would open thing up for Blackmon, Kendricks and SJ underneath...
    THOLTFAN81 and Tampa_Ram like this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I am not a professional scout. I have never pretended to know as much about the college players as many others on this board.

However, i have been a georgia tech football season ticket holder for a number of years and have watched almost every game of Hill's college career. I note the following for the group's consideration.

He is very physically gifted. That was apparant when he enrolled at Tech. He had all the markings of developing along the lines of calvin johnson and Demetrius Thomas before him. The offense is exactly the same as when Thomas flourished at Tech as a playmaker. However, that is where the comparisons end.

First, lousy work ethic. Second, the guy has shown almost no improvement year after year. Third, while he can make the spectacular catch from time to time, his hands have been terrible. He drops countless balls. His level of concentration is not good. He has had countless opportunities to make plays because in that offense he is one on one a lot and the ball is just thrown up to the receiver (as it was for Thomas). He rarely made those plays. He takes plays off. He does not play hard all the time. He has entire quarters where he disappears. When the ball isnt thrown to him he has the tendancy to mope.

In short, for all his physical tools, he looks like a combine warrior to me. Does he have the skills for someone to turn him into a professional? Sure. But he has shown absolutely no sign of that production wise at the college level. Some guys dont look so great at the combine but have great football tape. This guy is the opposite. Looks great on the field and on the track, but simply has not produced. Exact same situation as with Thomas, but with far, far less production. Immature in the extreme. No reason to believe in my opinion that once he gets paid all of a sudden he will become a student of the game and harnass his physical abilities to maximize his potential. Remember, he was a paul johnson recruit. He knew what he was getting himself into with that offense and he simply did not put in the effort during his time at tech. A true waste of amazing talent at the college level./

Round one? Maybe someone will bite. I would be crushed if the Rams took him in Round one or round 2. Its simply too much pure potential and not enough track record of effort or production for me. A complete crapshoot as to whether he makes it at the pro level.

Just the opinion of one fan who has followed tech closely and hill closely since the day he came on campus.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Ive just watched him for the first time, and I definitely don't want the Rams to draft him at any point. He may have these amazing physical attributes, but I don't see it in his play. He looks like a duck out of water to me. Out of the very tall receivers, Tommie Streeter didn't look half as ungainly as Hill, so he is the better pick in my opinion.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -03-22-2012 at 03:38 PM.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

I second GN's words above, there IS a reason no one knew who this guy was before the draft, unless you were in the heart of ACC country like we are. He is a serious project that will take 2-3 years to produce (if he does at all); at this stage of the game as a team we need to take potential starters/ BPA at every pick this year so that we can begin to build a solid foundation. There is no room for reaching on players any longer.

bud_5403 is offline Registered User

Definitelty wouldn't mind Blackmon, Kirkpatrick and Hill/Jefferies with our first 3 picks.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I am not a professional scout. I have never pretended to know as much about the college players as many others on this board.

However, i have been a georgia tech football season ticket holder for a number of years and have watched almost every game of Hill's college career. I note the following for the group's consideration.

He is very physically gifted. That was apparant when he enrolled at Tech. He had all the markings of developing along the lines of calvin johnson and Demetrius Thomas before him. The offense is exactly the same as when Thomas flourished at Tech as a playmaker. However, that is where the comparisons end.

First, lousy work ethic. Second, the guy has shown almost no improvement year after year. Third, while he can make the spectacular catch from time to time, his hands have been terrible. He drops countless balls. His level of concentration is not good. He has had countless opportunities to make plays because in that offense he is one on one a lot and the ball is just thrown up to the receiver (as it was for Thomas). He rarely made those plays. He takes plays off. He does not play hard all the time. He has entire quarters where he disappears. When the ball isnt thrown to him he has the tendancy to mope.

In short, for all his physical tools, he looks like a combine warrior to me. Does he have the skills for someone to turn him into a professional? Sure. But he has shown absolutely no sign of that production wise at the college level. Some guys dont look so great at the combine but have great football tape. This guy is the opposite. Looks great on the field and on the track, but simply has not produced. Exact same situation as with Thomas, but with far, far less production. Immature in the extreme. No reason to believe in my opinion that once he gets paid all of a sudden he will become a student of the game and harnass his physical abilities to maximize his potential. Remember, he was a paul johnson recruit. He knew what he was getting himself into with that offense and he simply did not put in the effort during his time at tech. A true waste of amazing talent at the college level./

Round one? Maybe someone will bite. I would be crushed if the Rams took him in Round one or round 2. Its simply too much pure potential and not enough track record of effort or production for me. A complete crapshoot as to whether he makes it at the pro level.

Just the opinion of one fan who has followed tech closely and hill closely since the day he came on campus.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Good point here

Firstly, he flashed brillance at the combine, especially in that fly route diving catch- but is that the extent of his highlight reel =P

Secondly, the only team I can see that would make this guy a rd1 selection is the Patriots- who need receivers, but as a team they could make this guy fit in and chip away at his unfinished state. The Patriots
    definately are the recipient of the decadely football god aura that seems to find 1 team every 10 years or so to imbue itself in. Hence, it seems no matter what they do with whatever personel they have, it works on that otherworldly level.

I cant see any other team who needs a receiver to step in and contribute from day 1 taking this guy in rd1.

As a note aside- if I were to draft him Id convert him to a free safety. The reasons being that

1) he used to the physical nature of blocking- so hitting people is already a practiced art for him

2) he doest need 'hands' for that position, though it's helpful. All he needs to do is be in the right place at the right time and knock the ball down.

3) He knows what receivers may do to sell a route being a former reciever himself- so the coverage transition should be smooth.

He a project for most teams as a WR, so why not make that coversion anyhow=) Though he has the combine stats-- IMO he is a late 2nd rounder 3rd round talent given his football skill set. Just my 2 cents.

Id much rather see Sanu (kinda like an Anquan Boldin- type receiver) and Blackmon or Wright (kinda like Az hakim) Blackmon than Hill/Blackmon.

richtree is offline Registered User

yeah, covert a First Round pick to safety.....that is the funniest thing i have heard in awhile....lol

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    yeah, covert a First Round pick to safety.....that is the funniest thing i have heard in awhile....lol
    hehe well that's why you dont take him in the 1st round.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    Ive just watched him for the first time, and I definitely don't want the Rams to draft him at any point.
    Talent like that and you wouldn't take him in the 7th round?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post

Great first hand account, thanks for this!
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Like general counsel said, the guy's nothing more than a pure athlete with sky high potential. Yes it's possible he can polish up and get on par with the likes of Marvin Harrison, AJ Green, maybe even Calvin Johnson but at this point we're looking for polished receivers with good intuition on the field. Great athletes don't make great football players. If we're looking to draft a receiver #33 or #39 overall, then I'd take a look at Rueben Randle from LSU but some mock drafts are saying he's a late 1st rounder.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

GC certainly points out why he only came into the conversation post-combine. The smarter pro teams are likely to sniff him out if indeed he's a combine warrior. But a team like Jax who trades up for Blaine Gabbert and Tyson Alualu may take a flyer on him because they need a receiver. I feel comfortable that Les Snead has attended a GA Tech game during his Atlanta days and saw what GC saw. I saw a mock having the 9'ers taking him in round 1.

Go Rams!

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Talent like that and you wouldn't take him in the 7th round?
    It depends how you define talent Rebel. I see him as a great athlete, but I would hardly call him a talented football player. He is a major project who will probably get over drafted by some team due to his combine numbers, and potential. I just hope the Rams don't fall into the abyss on this one.
    Talent for me, is more about the player having a natural feel for the game, and their ability to cause havoc with their skillset. Stephen Hill didn't score any points on both counts. So for this reason, I don't think he is worth the time and effort for the Rams. As Im certain their are better alternatives to Stephen Hill in this draft.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast