kman is offline Registered User

Steve Slaton for a 5th rd pick...freakin do it already Devaney..

we need an explosive option on offense...we have stockpiled "posession" Wr's and Sjax is a power runner...we need some explosion and Slaton can provide that...seems like sproles is out of the picture and slaton is only expolsive option left IMO..we need speed at skill postions, how many times have i heard that? we're going to rely on Avery's balky knee for speed? Kendricks is fast...for a TE?? I dont think Danrio is particulary fast..

Re: Steve Slaton for a 5th rd pick...freakin do it already Devaney..

AND the numbers are right for slaton...hes on the last year of his rookie contract...hes only gonna make 400k thiss year... we give up a 5th..5th round picks oftern pan out to nothing..Brooks foster anyone?? hell keenan burton was a 4th, so was gilyard..I know texans would take that offer, hes 4th on their depth chart..if he does well this year for us, try to re-sign him...if he sucks, then hes free agent next year...low risk high reward IMO>>

SJacks039 Guest

Apparently the texans have put amobi okoye on the market too. I wouldn't mind finding a way to snag both of those guys.

yea, id take okoye..he was only 20 when he came in the laegue so he cant be older then 24 now..he was misused as a 3-4 DT, so he might help...my only drawback with him is im not a big fan of DT's under 300lbs. I prefer the big fat 315-320lb guys that clog up the middle..unless hes bulked up, I remeber him being like 285lb out of college...
    but to me Slaton is a no brainer..you're getting him for cheap(5th round, i know texans would take it...if haynesworth goes for a 5th so would slaton) and hes only 400k hit on salary cap..hes basically getting a year long audition for our backup role...he does well, reward him with an extension nxt year..if he sux, let him walk, no skin off our backs..

SJacks039 Guest

They didn't play a 3-4 last year. But that doesn't mean the scheme was good for him. I think he could be a good UT for us.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Steve Slaton: Proving Size Doesn't Matter in the NFL
    By Thomas Casale
    (Correspondent) on June 28, 2009

Late in Steve Slatonís junior season at West Virginia, he was answering criticism about being too small to be a featured back in the NFL.

When one reporter asked Slaton if he would be relegated to a third-down back in the NFL, the agitated 5'9", 195-pounder responded ďI donít know, was Tony Dorsett a third-down back? I am bigger than he was when he played in the NFL.Ē

People chuckled but itís Slaton who is getting the last laugh.

Despite being one of the most explosive players in college football and a star at West Virginia, Slaton lasted until the 89th pick in the NFL Draft because he was deemed ďtoo smallĒ to be an every-down back in the pros.

It didnít take long for Slaton to smash the stereotype that size matters in the NFL.

As a rookie he burst on the scene with 1,282 yards rushing and nine touchdowns. He also caught 50 balls as a receiver coming out of the backfield.

This is a strong rookie season for any running back but these numbers are even more impressive when you take into account that Slaton didnít carry the ball 20 times in a game until Week 12.

Just imagine what kind of production heíll put up now that he enters the 2009 season as the Texansí unquestioned starter at running back.

Slaton, like Dorsett, is the rare breed of athlete where size really doesnít matter. Scouts were right to question Slatonís size at first.

Nine times out of 10 a running back with Slatonís build would find it difficult to take the physical pounding that accompanies a 16-game NFL schedule.

But what makes Slaton different than most is that heís a freak of nature.

He runs a 4.4 40-yard dash (heís actually much faster than his timed speed too which is even scarier) and his quickness and elusiveness in the open field are a God-given talent that most running backs can only dream of.

These qualities help negate Slatonís lack of size because he rarely gets hit hard. Itís similar to that of Emmitt Smith, who Slaton is built like. Slaton is currently five-foot-nine, 201 pounds, while Smith played most of his career at 5 foot 9 inches, 209 pounds.

Like Smith, Slaton has a knack of avoiding big hits and slipping tackles, which keeps him fresh throughout the season.

Because of these unique qualities, I really donít think Slaton will get worn down over a 16-game season. I fully expect him to be able to carry the load for the Texans and improve on his impressive rookie campaign.

Emmitt Smith did it for the Cowboys. Tiki Barber did it for the Giants. Brian Westbrook does it for the Eagles. I believe Slaton will do it in Houston as well.

Every now and then a player comes around that defies logic. Someone who is so special that scouts canít evaluate him just based on measurables like size and NFL Combine numbers. Steve Slaton is one of those players.

The Houston Texans are this yearís sexy pick as everyoneís sleeper team to make the playoffs. It could happen. Houston has a lot of good, young talent on both sides of the ball.

But if the Texans do indeed make the postseason for the first time in franchise history, theyíll do so on the back of 5'9", 201-pound Steve Slaton.

Looks like heís big enough to carry the load after all.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Doesnt Slaton have serious fumble problems? Not saying he wouldnt be a good 3rd down back, thats just what comes to mind when I hear steve slaton for some reason.

yea, he had fumble issues, thats the intial reason why he lost his starting gig to Foster(and then he a shoulder problem)..but as we've seen in the past, that is very correctable( see Tiki Barber, and Adrian Peterson )....and you cant deny his explosive, big play ability..

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

Okoye is listed on NFL.com as 315. I don't know how correct that number is now, but I am sure he is still over 300. Slaton and Okoye would fill two needs without having to give up a lot to acquire. The money saved on these two players should then be invested in Rocky McIntosh and a gaurd. If Devaney some how could pull that off I would be ecstatic for the season to start. No flashy players but all guys that fill a need. The good thing about these acquisitions is they are all young and could be with the team for a while if they pan out.
    Last edited by RamBamThankYouMam; -07-28-2011 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Wanted to specify which player was listed at 315.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

A 4th this year and 6th next year should get us Okoye and Slaton. I'd like to have both on board. I do prefer Snelling still.